Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
DW broke down and bought a Coach bag at the Outlet Store. We have a running joke about putting it on the table or elsewhere to make sure the logo shows
I got a nice Eddie Bauer bag a church garage sale once for a dollar. Needless to say, there were no armed guards at the door..
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The above bag is made of crocodile skin, but of a white color. It's because the donor crocodile is albino! I did not even know there was such a thing.
Hmmm I wonder if the crocodile was aware of his donation?
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

I read that article last night and was put off by the Target comment until I came to the realization that I am FI and will be RE soon and the author will keep slaving away at his j*b in his expensive clothing.
DisneyDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:33 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
All just choices.

For him it's clothes, for me it's wagyu.
To many of them will pull the veins, RobbieB.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Tell me about it! The last adventure was a rib eye cap. I'd say 60-40 lean to marble. A bit much, but just amazingly rich. I could feel my arteries hardening with each bite -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To restate the author's premise, the wealthier I get, the lower my self esteem. [emoji23]
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Not true. What he means is that you need to blow dough to boost your self-esteem.

I guess that is true with some people, so you cannot say that it does not work, even though it does not apply to me.

Same as many posters have said, when I spend more money whether for stuff or experiences, I expect to get some pleasure. I do not see what it has to do with self-esteem.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

My self-esteem must be completely in the dumper.

We stopped at Cabelas yesterday. I wanted to look at Ram mounts for mounting GPS and monitor screens. I saw that they had some nice looking cargo shorts on sale for $19.97. I picked out two pair. The last time I bought a pair of shorts was probably 45 years ago.

My wife looked at me and said- "What the hell is wrong with you?" I replied- "I'm retired!"
Old 05-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

^^^ My first impression was that of total awe; how can one make a pair of shorts last 45 years?

Then, I realize that you meant you have not worn shorts for 45 years.

Heck, I have been wearing shorts all the time all my life. I never once wore jeans, T-shirts, or tennis shoes to work. The most casual work clothes I wore were khaki pants, golf shirts, with boat shoes. But off work, I live in shorts and T-shirts. I wear them to bed too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Tell me about it! The last adventure was a rib eye cap. I'd say 60-40 lean to marble. A bit much, but just amazingly rich. I could feel my arteries hardening with each bite -
Just having a little fun and I meant to say plug those veins. Lol I love rib eye the best cut in my opinion, my dad told me that. We were poor so we didn't get steak but once in many moons. When I could afford a steak it was a rib eye and I love them. Have one for me RobbieB. lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Since retiring and downsizing our personal preferences have really changed. The change was not planned it just happened.

We are far more interested in experiences than we are in things. I suspect that it may be partly attributable to the downsizing exercise. We travel frequently and limit ourselves to carry on only so this has also had an impact on clothing-what we shop for and how often.

We just made a decision to keep our 2006 Accord. Low mileage, like new. Not because we cannot afford a new car or becaues we only want to focus on experiences. The reason is more straightforward than that. Shopping for a new car or buying one is no longer a pleasurable experience and I could care less about the new car smell.

We are also finding that we are buying more product on line. It is easier to shop, the stores near us are understaffed, and the stores in the malls all seem to stock the same product. The only time I go into a store is when I am looking for a specific item that I know is stocked.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Ok Ok So I bought super duper top of the line Carhartt overalls for stylish effect.

heh heh heh - AND I sent away for those roll up slip in knee pads. And a Chevy Trucks baseball cap. Only on Sundays at The Farm mind you.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the 60s I went to a high school with quite a few affluent students. The accepted clothes were Gant shirts, Levi slacks, Gold Cup socks, and Weejun shoes none of which my parents could afford. So I and a few of my friends decided to buy Penny's chambray Big Mac work shirts for $2, wear those without ironing them and wash them until they were soft. It caught on and more students began to wear them. It soon became a local fad and a status symbol at the high School. Then the affluent guys started having the collars and cuffs monogramed and sent to the cleaners for washing, starching and pressing to make it look like they were dressing down while still looking like they were dressing up.

What did that say about the rich kids?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

I and hubs both learned the hard way (during our respective divorces) just how meaningless things are- to us, anyway. At some point things became a burden. Me & ex sold a solid custom made oak table that sat 12 comfortably for only $600 just to get it out of our house before closing its sale (that last thing to happen pre-divorce). Otherwise, one of us would have had to store it. That was before Craig's list, so it was hard to sell things.

That attitude applies to my clothing now more than aver post-retirement. Recently I gave away all of my biz suits- probably 3 k's worth, and am loving all of the the room in my repurposed closet space (I've been on a 2.5 year getting rid of stuff spree). After my next drycleaning run I'm donating whatever that stuff is too, so that everything except for a few items (which I want to keep b/c I love them) is machine/ hand washable.

That last few years I worked, I knew I was a short-timer so anything I bought I had to be appropriate for after corp. life also. So I have a lot of nice clothes all of which will last a long time due to quality and not trendy style. Unless I'm doing some major cleaning, I like to look presentable but be comfortable- think nice shorts/ capris. Also I wear a lot of comfy but nice casual dresses. It is already hot as heck here (and close to 100% humidity), so a dress is perfect for our weather.

Comfort is # 1.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know some nudists, They appear to have a very high self esteem, but I guess that the lack of clothes means that their self-esteem must be non-existent or negative! The Daily Dirtnap is an interesting read, though of little value (other than random entertainment).
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I know some nudists, They appear to have a very high self esteem, but I guess that the lack of clothes means that their self-esteem must be non-existent or negative!
The value of clothes changes with time, and culture. It used to be that stripping a person naked was a usual form of public humiliation.

I just now surfed the Web and found that parading someone buck naked through the streets was still being used today for punishment. In modern days, the video is even put on Youtube to cause further anguish.

See:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ets-India.html

Old 05-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

We get most of our clothes from Costco these days. The best way I've found is to just chuck stuff in the cart when they have something we like. We usually can't wait until we need something because their inventory is always pot luck. But the chuck in the cart method has been working pretty well and usually then we don't need to buy more outside of Costco at the end of the year. Most jeans, shorts, tops and sweaters are just $10 - $20 each which isn't much more than our local Goodwill, only the Costco items are brand new with a longer life span and most are reasonably in style. If I need a new coat I go to Costco and buy one of the three basic styles they probably have in stock at the time and call it good enough.

Even for places like the symphony and ballet here in the Bay Area some people dress up and some do not, so a pair of black skinny jeans and a nice top and sweater jacket are usually middle of the road, acceptable attire. We went to the mall awhile back and the clothes choices were kind of overwhelming.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto!
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #99
gone traveling

I buy golf shirts at Goodwill.
Brand new. 100% cotton.
$2 on Monday (senior discount day).
My wife actually said: "these last two look really good".
I wear them when we fly business class to Europe. They stay in Europe after 22 days of vacation.
My self esteem is very good. Thank you.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I buy golf shirts at Goodwill.
Brand new. 100% cotton.
That's it: it's the fabric, not the brand.

Cotton and linen are comfortable in hot weather.
Wool and cashmere are comfortable in cold weather.

Lately, I've been finding nice, thick cotton t-shirts at Kohls. And 100% cotton shorts [with pockets!] at WalMart.

(Remember a few years ago when all the stores were carrying tissue-thin t-shirts? Thrift store were the only place where you could find the thicker shirts.)
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote