Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think to begin with individual stocks like McDonalds or Disney is fine to teach the lesson that by buying stocks you are investing in businesses. Then the second lesson is to diversify your holdings by owning many different stocks and an easy way to do that is through indexing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Going to do Stockpile! My sister finally got back to me and thinks it's a great idea. I agree, individual stocks are not ideal for "investing" but are great to get them engaged and excited as they can own something they can relate to while learning about investing.... We can move on to more diversified accounts (and/or valuing equities) later when there is "real" money at stake (depending on my situation at the time, I'll likely match any Roth contribution at some ratio when they are teens).

Who knows, maybe one of them will FIRE at 20 if they pick the right thing. They can't go broke cause it's my money. I told my sister I need to teach them to be financially responsible so they'll be able to care for me when I'm a lonely old man since I have no kids.... Who needs a rich uncle when you can have wealthy nephews and nieces!

FLSunFIRE
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
... Who knows, maybe one of them will FIRE at 20 if they pick the right thing. They can't go broke cause it's my money. ...

FLSunFIRE
I actually think this is the wrong way to go about it. Teaching them they can't lose? That's not real life, and not a good lesson at all, it's backwards, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
... I agree, individual stocks are not ideal for "investing" but are great to get them engaged and excited as they can own something they can relate to while learning about investing....

FLSunFIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think to begin with individual stocks like McDonalds or Disney is fine to teach the lesson that by buying stocks you are investing in businesses. Then the second lesson is to diversify your holdings by owning many different stocks and an easy way to do that is through indexing.
I wonder about that. How many times can you pass a McD's and say "you own a part of that"? Is it that exciting? Wouldn't it get old fast?

I dunno, but it might be be more exciting (and we are using the term "exciting" pretty loosly here ) to point out just about every business you go by, and say "you own a piece of that, and that, and that!" You could even make a game of it, and keep the pages of the prospectus of VTI with the alphabetical list of stocks, and try to find them on the list as you drive by.

Like the T-shirt the kids bought me, with a line of a dozen different beer taps on it "Diversity is good!". Just my opinion.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I actually think this is the wrong way to go about it. Teaching them they can't lose? That's not real life, and not a good lesson at all, it's backwards, IMO.

I wonder about that. How many times can you pass a McD's and say "you own a part of that"? Is it that exciting? Wouldn't it get old fast?

I dunno, but it might be be more exciting (and we are using the term "exciting" pretty loosly here ) to point out just about every business you go by, and say "you own a piece of that, and that, and that!" You could even make a game of it, and keep the pages of the prospectus of VTI with the alphabetical list of stocks, and try to find them on the list as you drive by.

Like the T-shirt the kids bought me, with a line of a dozen different beer taps on it "Diversity is good!". Just my opinion.

-ERD50

They very well can lose.. they are starting with my money but it is theirs upon receipt. We are talking $50-100/birthday... this isn't high stakes. Going through the process of picking a company and buying it is a lot more fun and educational as they may research who makes whatever they are into that they want to buy. Even if they pick horrible "investments" they are still likely be worth more years from now than a crappy beat up toy or sweater from "weird uncle FLSunFIRE!"

I only hold two individual stocks and I absolutely get a kick out of owning them (also have a couple very out of the money limit orders that will likely never execute for TSLA and AMZN just to own them for fun even though I cannot justify the valuations even at my heavily discounted bid). I only sold off the individual stocks I accumulated when I was young (started DRIPing in my early 20s) because I needed to raise cash for my divorce and they were insignificant to my NW and divesting of them simplified my record keeping and taxes.
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I haven't tried it but Fidelity will let you buy a slice of a share. Pick out a couple of companies that the kids can watch. NIKE has been hit because the retailers they sell to are having difficulties but their own stores and online have been strong. Does the family shop at Costco? How about Disney, Apple, Starbucks, Amazon? Make a list and let them choose. Prepare them for the reality that prices go down as well as up. Depending on their age and interest share with them that the pandemic is depressing sales/profits for many companies.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'd go with Schwab stock slice concept, where you can pick up to ten companies, and invest a minimum $50.

If I were doing this, I might pick Disney, Netflix, Tesla, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, etc. Put in $50 a month for 12 months, then sit back and watch with the youngsters.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote