Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Options for Stock for Kids (now that there are no certificates)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Options for Stock for Kids (now that there are no certificates)

I'd like to get my nephews a few shares of companies they are familiar with. In times past, I could have given them a physical certificate so they had something tangible and cool!

Any ideas on alternatives now? I don't really want to have to to through (or subject my sister to having to) set up accounts for the kids for such small values. Are there any kid-investing brokers out there that would make this easy and fun?!

Any other ideas for gifts that might spark an interest or at least give them a little experience in saving/investing/money management in a fun way? They are turning 10 and 12 this year.

Thanks!
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Stockpile
Old 06-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Stockpile

Personally,

I like Stockpile.com

You can give gift cards to their friends and fractional shares with their own controlled brokerage account once they redeem.

I discovered them when I saw their gift cards at Target last year.

Good Luck in getting your kids interested in investing!!!

Its a great idea!!
TexasCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Get them something that is stable and pays dividends, and a company they can understand. CocaCola or McDonald's come to mind but there are many others. Set it up as a custodial account and DRIP the dividends. They will be able to see the number of shares grow over time. I did it with Charles Schwab years ago for our daughter but I think most major brokerages can do it. Opening an account on-line shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. No minimum balances, no fees.

Bonus idea #1: As soon as they have W-2 income the current balances and future money can be contributed to a Roth IRA, up to their income level each year. In my opinion, starting a Roth at 15 or 16 is the second greatest gift (after a loving home) you can give a child. We cash matched contributions to our Daughter's Roth from her first paycheck at 16. She graduated college with nearly $50k of stocks in that account and it's still growing.

Bonus idea #2: Give any future birthday and holiday gifts to the kids as contributions to their account. It will be remembered and appreciated long after that toy or clothing is forgotten.
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity is offering "Stocks by the Slice"

https://www.fidelity.com/trading/fractional-shares
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (245.2 KB, 34 views)

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

My wife and I did something similar for a nephew. We bought him a few shares of a snack food company - an industry he could understand. As a physical "gift", we sent him a couple of snack food items from that company.

A couple of years later, the company was bought out and the initial investment doubled or tripled in value. My brother then started asking me for stock tips. This was the first time I had ever bought shares of individual stock. I wished I had good stock tips and told him we just got lucky.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:23 AM   #6

Thanks, I like the idea of Stockpile as it would let them make the decision and even participate in researching which companies make their favorite things.. I'll talk to my sister more as it would be a little work for her to set up the custodial accounts for them. Certificates would be way cooler though!

I've already recommended to my sister that she open Roths for them as they earn their first taxable income and she was very receptive. It's a few years off but I'll likely offer matching funds and hopefully they can max out completely... I started pretty early but didn't start hiding my money from the IRS until in my early 20s. The impact of another 7 years of contributions would be huge now!

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #7

I recall some 40-50 years ago, we knew a couple who bought their son 1 share of Disney stock in certificate form. As I recall it was a multicolor certificate with Mickey prominently over it, although I may be mistaken. They framed it and put it on his bedroom wall. Last I knew this young boy was a VP of some big bank. I often wonder if that stock certificate had a part in making that happen.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Some issues can still be certificated. Check with the transfer agent for which ones.

Printing those things is no easy matter from a technology standpoint. The process is straight out of 1970.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I'd like to get my nephews a few shares of companies they are familiar with. In times past, I could have given them a physical certificate so they had something tangible and cool!...
Yeah, but our generation grew up on paper. We wrote & sent letters and read paper bound books. But theirs is growing up digitally with email, ebooks, and iPhones, etc. I bet they'd be just fine with a an online account rather than some outdated paper.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - You could always print out a fake certificate representing the stock that is actually purchased.
That way there would be something to hang on the wall.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I'd like to get my nephews a few shares of companies they are familiar with. In times past, I could have given them a physical certificate so they had something tangible and cool!

Any ideas on alternatives now? I don't really want to have to to through (or subject my sister to having to) set up accounts for the kids for such small values. Are there any kid-investing brokers out there that would make this easy and fun?!

Any other ideas for gifts that might spark an interest or at least give them a little experience in saving/investing/money management in a fun way? They are turning 10 and 12 this year.

Thanks!
When DD was maybe 3 or 4 I bought her a chunk of McDonald's and Disney. It was past when they sent certificates, but she was obviously familiar with each.

At the time, McDonald's was still sending out an annual coupon book with tons of free food. This is how she got her basic understanding of company ownership.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #12

I'm teaching my sons to be index investors... the opposite of you.

younger son opened a roth this past year with 100% invested in Schwab 1000 etf (SCHK). I gave him a very generous match (he put in $500, I matched with $500).

He gets slices of lots of stocks this way and it pays dividends.

Since he's under 18, it's a custodial account till he's of age.

Since he had earned income last year, it made sense to do it as a roth - to also teach deferred benefit. He knows he has to wait to cash it out.

When older son gets off his behind to get a job (he's applying to jobs now) he'll get the same deal.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm teaching my sons to be index investors... the opposite of you.

younger son opened a roth this past year with 100% invested in Schwab 1000 etf (SCHK). ....
+1

I really don't think it's a good idea at all to buy a single stock as a learning tool. It goes against the important lesson of diversification. If it goes up dramatically, they might think, wow, I can retire at age 26, a 'good' stock doubles every year! If it goes bankrupt, they may never want to own a stock again.

You just have to sell the idea - "Now you own thousands of stocks!" (3,600 for VTI).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
+1

I really don't think it's a good idea at all to buy a single stock as a learning tool. It goes against the important lesson of diversification. If it goes up dramatically, they might think, wow, I can retire at age 26, a 'good' stock doubles every year! If it goes bankrupt, they may never want to own a stock again.

You just have to sell the idea - "Now you own thousands of stocks!" (3,600 for VTI).

-ERD50
Depends what lessons you are trying to teach.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Depends what lessons you are trying to teach.
Yes, but you won't know which (if any) lesson they get until/unless the stock tanks or rockets!

You could always go pick a few individual stocks, and chart them against the index for a lesson.

-ERD50
Old 06-10-2020, 09:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, but you won't know which (if any) lesson they get until/unless the stock tanks or rockets!

You could always go pick a few individual stocks, and chart them against the index for a lesson.

-ERD50
Sure, and seeing how both McDonald's and Disney have trounced the index over the time period and paid for the kid's college education full-ride, she got the right lesson.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Sure, and seeing how both McDonald's and Disney have trounced the index over the time period and paid for the kid's college education full-ride, she got the right lesson.
Sure, lucky.
But it could have been Enron or Nortel Networks and a different story.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What lesson? Buy a functional crystal ball?

-ERD50
Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think kids should invest in growth stocks, maybe look at the list in VUG or Fidelity's blue chip growth mutual fund. Pick from those lists. I like funds/ETFs because it is tough to pick a winner long term.

I have VUG in the grandkids 529 funds for that reason.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #20

Thanks for the responses and enjoying the discussion. I'll probably try Stockpile... emailed my sister first to make sure she's ok with it since it will be a little work for her to set up the account.

My intention is for this to be fun opportunity to learn a bit about investing. Hopefully, it will get them interested in saving and investing some on their own as well. If they pick stocks that go bust, it's a cheap lesson and will still last longer than some virtual credits in a video game or some unwanted gift "weird Uncle FLSunFire" picked out for them. Obviously, as they get older, I will shepherd them towards index funds for "real" investing but they would not exactly be fun (likely with matching funds from me).