Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
There is? I've been here several years and never seen it mentioned.
It's really ancient perhaps older than 'The Four Yorkshiremen'.

Heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I routinely reduce the sugar content of my chocolate chips cookies by 30%. Nobody notices. They still beat the store bought ones by a mule.
DW has been doing this in baked goods for quite some time. It's kind of like the 'how low can you go' thread. She keeps telling me she decreased the sugar amount again, I keep saying 'tastes great to me'. Whatever fruit is in the pie always seems to be sweet enough to me. In fact, a month ago she made a cherry pie with regular as opposed to sour cherries and it was too sweet for me.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Aha! the pods are a conspiracy to disallow reduced laundry soap usage.
I won't buy pods because they don't allow me to decide how much detergent to use. Of course, one day they might be nothing but pods but I'll worry about it then.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I nominate this for post of the day
A random sampling of my posts back to day one shows that comment with all of them. I guarantee I've never seen it before. Nor is it in my profile anywhere that I can find. So if it's some byproduct of an ancient inside joke here, I still have no idea what it represents.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #25

Quote:
There is? I've been here several years and never seen it mentioned.
Yeah, that was a long time ago. This site used to be home to lots of LBYM folks and penny-pinching retirees. I think I introduced myself as on a "shoestring retirement." Back then there were still a few kindred souls hanging around in the shadows who greeted me.

Those days are gone. It's all about "blow that dough" and high finance now. I still hang around because I still learn a lot. But part of me misses the old cadre.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:16 PM   #26

Quote:
A random sampling of my posts back to day one shows that comment with all of them. I guarantee I've never seen it before. Nor is it in my profile anywhere that I can find. So if it's some byproduct of an ancient inside joke here, I still have no idea what it represents.
I will say that I thought your first post (the one that was nominated for post-of-the-day) was totally tongue-in-cheek. From the stickied FAQ: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ets-44456.html
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:32 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I found that too. But there is no explanation of why this is such a rib-tickler that the functionality of the forum software was apparently modified with it! The last discussion of it that I could find was from back in 2010 where the mods of the day beat up a user for daring to even ask the question. Given how civil and easy going these forums are, that seems really out of character. But it was over 10 years ago.

There was also a post in the FAQ section
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...tml#post339248
which references this thread that I am not able to see:
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...hp?topic=620.0

Above your avatar it says "Full time employment: Posting here." so obviously this field can be changed. How did you do it? I tried putting that in the "Occupation" field in the profile but it didn't help.

I'm not trying to cause trouble but this is bafffling.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I nominate this for post of the day:
Best. Post. Ever.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:40 PM   #29

Quote:

Above your avatar it says "Full time employment: Posting here." so obviously this field can be changed. How did you do it? I tried putting that in the "Occupation" field in the profile but it didn't help.

I had not noticed that my status changed, and I am embarrassed to see it! We don't control the status above the avatar. I gather it (along with the number of stars) is a reflection of the frequency and/or total number of posts over time. There is a progression from newbie to constant poster.

Think of it this way: The people running this forum did not WRITE the forum software. This forum is one of a family of some 40+ different forums under the aegis of RVlife. Most of the forums have to do with boats or RVs or camping. So, clearly, they all use the same software, and there are tweaks that must be used to customize the forum software to the particular forum under question. So, some dozen+ years ago, the then-moderators wrote witty (?) expressions of the "progress" of the individual as he or she posts more and more. They started from dryer sheets ("Confused about dryer sheets"), and progressed from there. [I gather that the apotheosis is "Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ..."]
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:25 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never bought orange juice (gross) and I never use dryer sheets....and I haven't used/bought shampoo in over five years
Out_the_Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #31

A good one that my GF taught me...she waters down dish detergent about to about 40 - 1. Then if you're washing a single pot for example, you just pour out a couple ounces into it and quickly scrub it with a brush, rinse, and you're done. For a sink full of dishes we just use regular strength dish soap.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

No fruit juice drinking here.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It’s automatic once you have enough posts.

It baffled me once too. Mainly because “Full time employment” appeared on one line and I didn’t catch the “posting here” qualifier.

But I’ve long since been upgraded to “Give me a museum.....”
Old 02-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I won't buy pods because they don't allow me to decide how much detergent to use. Of course, one day they might be nothing but pods but I'll worry about it then.
I don't buy pods anymore. I just end up eating them all instead of using them for the wash.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Count me as another who likes concentrate OJ better when cut with a little more water. On the rare occasion I get chocolate milk at the store, I like it better cut with some white milk as well.
CincyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Every thing in life works well at 50% the recommended level.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I had not noticed that my status changed, and I am embarrassed to see it!
That was exactly my response yesterday when I saw "dryer sheets" above my picture. I had not noticed it before. Maybe I just crossed the threshold where that is the cutesy message that is automatically displayed.

Quote:
So, some dozen+ years ago, the then-moderators wrote witty (?) expressions
Wait a minute. Are you saying that "Working full time, posting here" is supposed to be witty? I am still "working full time" and I "post here" a little. That's what I thought it meant. But those mods of years back, intended for it to mean "I'm retired but I have a new full time job of posting on this forum, ha ha ha"? Geez, that went completely over my head.

Quote:
Think of it this way: The people running this forum did not WRITE the forum software.
I know. I've used this forum software on many sites. And on most, the phrase above the avatar can be set by the user. This is the only one that's apparently been preset in this way (by mods who as far as I can tell, are gone now) to reference an obscure inside joke from many many years ago (that wasn't all that funny to begin with).

I guess that's the end of the exploration here.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #38
Administrator

Recycles dryer sheets is simply an affirmation of thrift, which is a value shared by most ER Forum community members. A trait most new members would be expected to embrace.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #39

I seem to recall at least a few decades ago (I believe it was the late 80s and early 90s) there was a scandal that some OJ brands were being chemically adulterated with preservatives that were not approved as safe.

You just never know what you are eating if it is not in it's natural state. Even then there are potential shenanigans.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
[B][U]Recycles dryer sheets is simply an affirmation of thrift, which is a value shared by most ER Forum community members. A trait most new members would be expected to embrace.
You aren't kidding! Never in a million years did I think I would cause such OUTRAGE with my OP.