Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I seem to recall at least a few decades ago (I believe it was the late 80s and early 90s) there was a scandal that some OJ brands were being chemically adulterated with preservatives that were not approved as safe.

You just never know what you are eating if it is not in it's natural state. Even then there are potential shenanigans.

Cheers!
Well, to be fair...unless you grow your own food (and raise/slaughter meat if you are a meat lover) then odds are that your food is modified in some way, shape, or form. It's pretty simple...if society farmed as they did 200 years ago, a LOT of people would starve because it would pretty tough to put food on the table for 330MM+ people.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
And on most, the phrase above the avatar can be set by the user.
On other forums I've used, the titles can be set, but by the Mods, not the user. I often wish for that power but MichaelB won't let me...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yeah, that was a long time ago. This site used to be home to lots of LBYM folks and penny-pinching retirees. I think I introduced myself as on a "shoestring retirement." Back then there were still a few kindred souls hanging around in the shadows who greeted me.

Those days are gone. It's all about "blow that dough" and high finance now. I still hang around because I still learn a lot. But part of me misses the old cadre.
Yep. A lot different 27 years ago starting ER - aka Dory36 el al. Fear and cheap went hand in hand starting out. Time in the market and just time has mellowed me.

Heh heh heh - also frequented more that one calculator and forum/s.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
On other forums I've used, the titles can be set, but by the Mods, not the user. I often wish for that power but MichaelB won't let me...
There's probably a good reason we're not allowed to play with fissionable materials....
Old 02-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
And I bet you don't "Rinse, lather, and repeat" either!

(Talk about self-serving, overconsuming directions.)
There is an apocryphal story of a statue at Johnson & Johnson Corporate Headquarters to the unknown author of "Lather, Rinse, Repeat." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't use dryer sheets...if I felt a need for them I'd just use vinegar instead:

https://greatist.com/health/dryer-sheet-alternatives
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
There is an apocryphal story of a statue at Johnson & Johnson Corporate Headquarters to the unknown author of "Lather, Rinse, Repeat." YMMV
I have to say, as a woman with long hair, particularly if my hair is extra dirty from working out, or I went 2 days... I do find a lather-rinse-repeat works best!

Of course, I use just a small amount, but doing a dime-sized first wash (where i get virtually no lather because there's no excess), followed by a rinse and a 2nd small wash (which is much more bubbly), is a really good way to get my hair feeling super clean. Far better than a single quarter-sized wash.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I dilute almost all drinks including occasional soft drink. I go about 50 50/ DH likes it more 60 40 a little stronger
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
I dilute almost all drinks including occasional soft drink. I go about 50 50/ DH likes it more 60 40 a little stronger
What vodka do you use to dilute?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Don't use dryer sheets...if I felt a need for them I'd just use vinegar instead:

https://greatist.com/health/dryer-sheet-alternatives
I don’t use dryer sheets either. Things come out of the dryer just fine. I never understood all the saving of dryer sheets when they aren’t even needed!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don’t use dryer sheets either. Things come out of the dryer just fine. I never understood all the saving of dryer sheets when they aren’t even needed!
I couldn't imagine NOT using them. On the rare occasion I forget to put one in, I am immediately reminded with the high level of static electricity generated when folding them.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I couldn't imagine NOT using them. On the rare occasion I forget to put one in, I am immediately reminded with the high level of static electricity generated when folding them.
We simply do not have a problem with static electricity. Our washables are either cotton or nylon. Almost no polyester at all. We only get a little bit of static if DH throws in a pair of wool socks, and it’s not any trouble.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #53
Administrator

We have never used dryer sheets (or fabric softener).
Old 02-02-2021, 02:57 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I used to use fabric softener on my towels and later learned that was a mistake. They weren’t as absorbent and didn’t seem to stay fresh as long. When I got new towels I never used fabric softener on them.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We have never used dryer sheets (or fabric softener).
What is a dryer?

Sorry. We do actually have one but at $0.30/KWH for electricity, we try to dry most things on a drying rack or on hangers. DW likes to throw many of the items into the dryer after they are mostly dry - for a quick tumble. It kills the wrinkles and softens the towels. She'll occasionally uses a dryer sheet. I rarely use the dryer at all. It's only when DW catches the right dampness/dryness that the dryer gets used. YMMV

Old 02-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #56

For the record, the dryer sheet joke was about reusing them. Not whether or not to use them at all.

But, since we've already veered into a serious discussion, I'm not so cheap that I don't lather, rinse, repeat.

I do use only enough to get the job done, but even with short hair, that first "lather" doesn't get all the grease out. I read somewhere about how soap works. Apparently, the soap molecules first adhere to the dirt, and that makes them susceptible to being repelled the second time. Since I saw that I've taken to washing my hands twice too, if I want to get them really clean.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I used to use fabric softener on my towels and later learned that was a mistake. They weren’t as absorbent and didn’t seem to stay fresh as long. When I got new towels I never used fabric softener on them.
DW only uses softener on some items, and she educated me long ago about never using it on towels. You can have soft towels or absorbent towels, but not both together.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW only uses softener on some items, and she educated me long ago about never using it on towels. You can have soft towels or absorbent towels, but not both together.
The daughter of some friends came home from first semester of college some years back. Her mom was impressed to see her doing her own laundry as she'd never done it when she lived at home. Unfortunately, 'mom' realized her daughter was washing with fabric softener only! We figured she had the softest dirty laundry on campus. YMMV

Old 02-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Y'all supposed to use the recycled dryer sheets to strain the fresh squeezed OJ so's ya don't have buy that frozen concentrated fake stuff.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:13 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
There's probably a good reason we're not allowed to play with fissionable materials....

Yep, ran across this a couple of days ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core
Just a slip of the screwdriver.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote