Join Early Retirement Today

Ouch! Tick-tock...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ouch! Tick-tock...

...back goes the FIRE clock one minute as I've crashed through -10% YTD today...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yep, market taking a big dump today...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Look on bright side. Day not over yet.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ziggy,

Do you care to explain (again probably) how your clock works? I have been curious about it for a while. At any rates, as of last night I was -7.8% YTD. Net worth has now been pretty much flat for 1 year.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
...back goes the FIRE clock one minute as I've crashed through -10% YTD today...
Can you do me a favor and short the market?

That should take care of the problem.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Ziggy,

Do you care to explain (again probably) how your clock works? I have been curious about it for a while. At any rates, as of last night I was -7.8% YTD. Net worth has now been pretty much flat for 1 year.
It's a combination of my age and the performance of my retirement portfolio.

It was based on the assumption of retiring in 2017 (10 years from inception) with an 8% return on the portfolio. That is, 10 years of 8% returns would push me from 11:38 (where it started) to 12:00 (the goal). I push it forward and backward based on gains/losses of the portfolio as well as over time. Lately it's been going straight back...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's a combination of my age and the performance of my retirement portfolio.

It was based on the assumption of retiring in 2017 (10 years from inception) with an 8% return on the portfolio. That is, 10 years of 8% returns would push me from 11:38 (where it started) to 12:00 (the goal). I push it forward and backward based on gains/losses of the portfolio as well as over time. Lately it's been going straight back...
Thanks. That's an interesting and (for the most part) fun approach!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

FTSE all world ex-US fund is down almost 20% for us since January of this year. I'm thinking that means it would have to come back up 25% to get to where we started. Strongly thinking of selling today and buying back in a month. Don't really think the fund is going to bounce up 25% in a month. Lock in a little tax loss and buy back at a cheaper point. Would you consider the same on way down funds? Reasons not to do so? All our funds are in taxable accounts
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
FTSE all world ex-US fund is down almost 20% for us since January of this year. I'm thinking that means it would have to come back up 25% to get to where we started. Strongly thinking of selling today and buying back in a month. Don't really think the fund is going to bounce up 25% in a month. Lock in a little tax loss and buy back at a cheaper point. Would you consider the same on way down funds? Reasons not to do so? All our funds are in taxable accounts
"Fortunes are made by selling too soon".........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was thinking about the possibility of selling Vanguard developed markets index (VDMIX) and harvest the loss (-19% YTD) before buying back later. With the dollar bouncing back and Europe slowing down, I would think there is little risk in taking a short break. But I don't know... With Vanguard's trading policies and the IRS sale's wash rule, don't you have to wait 3 months before you can buy back the same fund?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I still don't get the clock, sorry. How did you get 11:36 PM? Is it just a gut feeling or does 12 AM correspond to when you were born or started working?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I still don't get the clock, sorry. How did you get 11:36 PM? Is it just a gut feeling or does 12 AM correspond to when you were born or started working?
It's a take-off on the old "Doomsday clock" which a group would move forward or back depending on how close they thought we were to nuclear war with the Soviet Union. The closer they set it to midnight, the closer we were to armageddon.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was thinking about the possibility of selling Vanguard developed markets index (VDMIX) and harvest the loss (-19% YTD) before buying back later. With the dollar bouncing back and Europe slowing down, I would think there is little risk in taking a short break. But I don't know... With Vanguard's trading policies and the IRS sale's wash rule, don't you have to wait 3 months before you can buy back the same fund?

I do not know - had thought the IRS wash sale rule was one month for same fund - didn't even think about the Vanguard trading policy issue - we've held since 1/8/08 so we're past the 2 month fee for trading issue - there's a problem buying back in to the same fund w/ Vanguard?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
IRS Wash Sale rule only applies to after tax accounts.

"In general you have a wash sale if you sell stock at a loss, and buy substantially identical securities within 30 days before or after the sale."

Quoted from The Fairmark Forum.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
That is assumed to be the case, though, when one is considering "tax loss harvesting," which is a concept applicable only to taxable accounts.

I wonder if we'll see another dip in the market in December. There would seem to be the potential for a lot of tax loss harvesting this year.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

"In general you have a wash sale if you sell stock at a loss, and buy substantially identical securities within 30 days before or after the sale."

Quoted from The Fairmark Forum.
Just where i was! Wash Sales 101

Nice lady at Vanguard indicated that they would have no problem with us selling and buying back in after 30 days. Also suggested that while she didn't see any wash sale issues with our situation that we might want to consult our tax advisor. CYA
Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You are correct and calmloki and I are both talking about taxable accounts as well.

Quote:
I do not know - had thought the IRS wash sale rule was one month for same fund - didn't even think about the Vanguard trading policy issue - we've held since 1/8/08 so we're past the 2 month fee for trading issue - there's a problem buying back in to the same fund w/ Vanguard?
Ok so the wash rule is 30 days. But last time I checked Vanguard did not allow me to buy back into a fund if I had sold that fund in the past 3 months. I believe it is to prevent frequent trading that could adversely affect long term investors. I will try and look for a link on their website.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.... But last time I checked Vanguard did not allow me to buy back into a fund if I had sold that fund in the past 3 months. I believe it is to prevent frequent trading that could adversely affect long term investors. I will try and look for a link on their website.
Differs from what i was just told by a V. phone rep - but written rule is the boss - Very interested if you find anything!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Actually according to this, it's not 3 months, it's 60 days, my bad:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/Van...mer&Year2=2005

As far as I know this policy is still in effect.

Quote:
Nice lady at Vanguard indicated that they would have no problem with us selling and buying back in after 30 days. Also suggested that while she didn't see any wash sale issues with our situation that we might want to consult our tax advisor. CYA
Then you must be a very good customer!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually according to this, it's not 3 months, it's 60 days, my bad:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/Van...mer&Year2=2005

As far as I know this policy is still in effect.

Then you must be a very good customer!
Oy - that looks pretty cut and dried. Thought at first it might be like the 30 days before,30 days after w/ no transactions wash sale rule. Might still give it a shot - try and buy back in after 30 days, if prevented hold my breath and hope and buy back in 60. That would still be before the euphoric market surge i have scheduled for early November.
Really doubt i was spoken to on the very good customer basis. I mean, i have a nice voice and i'm polite and a heck of a nice guy, but VG doesn't have much of our money. Matter of fact, we don't have very much of our money either!