Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just saw our share of the Megacorp health insurance is going up only 4.9% for 2010. This is a self-insured HDHP/HSA plan administered by Aetna. The PPO option appears to going up by closer to 20%.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My individual BC/BS $5,000 deductible HSA policy is going up 14.8% next month. The increase announcement included this bit of "good" news:

Quote:
Additionally, we have made changes in the way we rate to minimize financial impact to you. Rates will be converted into a single year age band format - a separate rate for everyone from age 0 to 65+.
No explanation as to how this might actually "minimize financial impact"...
Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the main messages of the "This American Life" program is that it is really hard for healthcare consumers to know the cost of the medications they are taking. The healthcare industry all has a part in masking this price to both doctors and consumers. How can we make smart spending decisions if we don't know the cost of things? It's just one of the many problems facing the healthcare situation.
sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No explanation as to how this might actually "minimize financial impact"...
The single year rate bands are wonderful news for you. As long as you can avoid getting older, your rates won't be affected...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our stellar finance/hr staff found reasonable solutions, switched plans around (not big changes) just higher co-pays which we can all live with...!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #46

I haven't seen this years enrollment package yet but rumor has it we have a 6% on average increase in Health plans for 2010. We are supposed to be "pleased" because the industry average is around 6%.

DD
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

My BCBS federal health plan really took a jump this year . I've had the BCBS standard the last few years but the BCBS basic seems to offer the same benefits as long as you use preferred providers which my physicians are . I was also surprised to see that GEHA had lowered their cost while BCBS went way up . I'm going to send for the booklets and compare the plans line by line .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

My BCBS plan will go up $4/mo first of the year. I'm pissed. A pleasant surprise. Last year up 14%.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirion View Post
One of the main messages of the "This American Life" program is that it is really hard for healthcare consumers to know the cost of the medications they are taking. The healthcare industry all has a part in masking this price to both doctors and consumers. How can we make smart spending decisions if we don't know the cost of things? It's just one of the many problems facing the healthcare situation.
You can't know the "true cost" of medications because there isn't one. The cost differs depending who you are and who is paying.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #50

unicare just sent me a 22.5% increase letter, follow up with a 'we are discontinuing insurance in Illinois' letter. BCBS is going to take over their policies, but can raise the rates. So I have to wait until Dec. to see what the real damages will be.
I am pissed.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

We hade our quarterly meeting today which included annual enrollment. They told us our health insurance is going up 9.25%. Our deductable is going up 20%. Both seem quite high to me but i've heard worse from other places. The company still pays 80% of the premium so it could be worse.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #52

For HSA plan at my megacorp, cost remains the same for a single person: $0.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my increase letter this week. My retiree insurance jumped 2k per year for DW & myself (my part) although they are offering some other lower cost options - with higher deductables and other limitations. The new plan is a type of PPO. I guess I will be switching to the cheaper plan... Will save me about 1200 a year.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a cafeteria plan at work, but they dropped the BCBS option this year, leaving only their self-insured offerings. Their self-insured options are unfortunately exempt from my state's regulations which made BCBS more attractive for some, such as the ability to keep children in the plan beyond college, and guaranteed continuation coverage beyond COBRA for a price.

On the bright side, while my plan's COBRA rates went up
2009: $760.42/month for a couple
2010: $864.52/month for a couple
they left my cost while still employed unchanged at $500/month with only minor co-pay increases.
bamsphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #55

My wife and I are expecting our first child in January.

I pay 100% of my BCBS premium at work. Just found out that due to me going to a "family" plan when our daughter is born, my annual premium will go from $11,800 to just over $19,800.

When people say kids are expensive, they weren't kidding.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post

I pay 100% of my BCBS premium at work. Just found out that due to me going to a "family" plan when our daughter is born, my annual premium will go from $11,800 to just over $19,800.

Bummer on the insurance but many congratulations on the baby!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post

No HSA option?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #58

I hope to keep this thread alive. For when the health care reform passes. Will be an interesting read. Hopefully I see a bunch of " hey stayed even this year!" That is assuming Ill be alive 3 or 4 years from now from when it will start working.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

If they pass a Nat'l Health Plan? Get ready for 50% or more Co.'s dumping their Private Group plans and be willing to pay the Penalties for doing so..For the Rank and File, but not for their Execs and VIP Employees.

It might be possible to get the $ the employer will pay towards that Plan and add your own to get a Better BC/BS type Plan and it be at least Taxc deductable thru a HSA.

I'm sure glad I'm On Medicare now and have a Private Sup Plan as well.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
No HSA option?
Nope, that's all I've got
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health care, health insurance