Our health care prems up 30% how bout yours?

We hade our quarterly meeting today which included annual enrollment. They told us our health insurance is going up 9.25%. Our deductable is going up 20%. Both seem quite high to me but i've heard worse from other places. The company still pays 80% of the premium so it could be worse.

For HSA plan at my megacorp, cost remains the same for a single person: $0.
TJ

I got my increase letter this week. My retiree insurance jumped 2k per year for DW & myself (my part) although they are offering some other lower cost options - with higher deductables and other limitations. The new plan is a type of PPO. I guess I will be switching to the cheaper plan... Will save me about 1200 a year.

We have a cafeteria plan at work, but they dropped the BCBS option this year, leaving only their self-insured offerings. Their self-insured options are unfortunately exempt from my state's regulations which made BCBS more attractive for some, such as the ability to keep children in the plan beyond college, and guaranteed continuation coverage beyond COBRA for a price.

On the bright side, while my plan's COBRA rates went up
2009: $760.42/month for a couple
2010: $864.52/month for a couple
they left my cost while still employed unchanged at $500/month with only minor co-pay increases.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in January.

I pay 100% of my BCBS premium at work. Just found out that due to me going to a "family" plan when our daughter is born, my annual premium will go from $11,800 to just over $19,800.

When people say kids are expensive, they weren't kidding.

I pay 100% of my BCBS premium at work. Just found out that due to me going to a "family" plan when our daughter is born, my annual premium will go from $11,800 to just over $19,800.

Bummer on the insurance but many congratulations on the baby!

No HSA option?

I hope to keep this thread alive. For when the health care reform passes. Will be an interesting read. Hopefully I see a bunch of " hey stayed even this year!" :LOL: That is assuming Ill be alive 3 or 4 years from now from when it will start working.

If they pass a Nat'l Health Plan? Get ready for 50% or more Co.'s dumping their Private Group plans and be willing to pay the Penalties for doing so..For the Rank and File, but not for their Execs and VIP Employees.

It might be possible to get the $ the employer will pay towards that Plan and add your own to get a Better BC/BS type Plan and it be at least Taxc deductable thru a HSA.

I'm sure glad I'm On Medicare now and have a Private Sup Plan as well.

I'm sure glad I'm On Medicare now and have a Private Sup Plan as well.

Don't you wonder what will happen over the next few years after Medicare payments to providers are reduced as proposed? Sadly, I think there is some potential downside to Medicare subscribers with the new plan depending on how providers react to the cuts. Time will tell.......

I'm joining this thread late, and this is the answer to the original question about health care premiums.
I lucked into a state retirement health care plan that has no premium, and theoretically a relatively small out-of-pocket limit each year, although it doesn't cover everything of course. I've been enrolled since I officially retired about four years ago. So far, the premium has not gone up (from zero). However, the State keeps switching administrators (the State provides the money and is self-insured, but hires a 3rd party administrator). This latest switch is to an organization with a preferred provider network that has almost no members in this State. So according to a friend (I have been lucky and made no claims since the switch) the insurance company reimburses only a small part of what the doctor charges, saying it is more than we'd have to pay in Seattle (may be true but we're in Anchorage!), and doesn't count the extra expense towards the out-of-pocket limit.
So my premiums have not gone up, but my medical expenses are now highly unpredictable unless I can fly to Seattle every time I need a doctor (and of course the plane flight would not be covered).
So this is just another way that health insurance companies can deny coverage to those they are supposed to cover.

...(snip)...
How high will yours go up and how is your organization/corp dealing with it?
Ours will go up 26% next year and has gone up at a compounded rate of 24% over the last 5 years. Our son's has gone up at a 17% compounded rate over 5 years.

I really do not understand what is driving these extreme rate increases. What is so different from the situation a few decades ago?

I really do not understand what is driving these extreme rate increases. What is so different from the situation a few decades ago?

I don't know the answer entirely, but way back when, when I first bought my own very affordable health insurance, BCBS was a non-profit.

unicare just sent me a 22.5% increase letter, follow up with a 'we are discontinuing insurance in Illinois' letter. BCBS is going to take over their policies, but can raise the rates. So I have to wait until Dec. to see what the real damages will be.
I am pissed.
There is something to setting your expectations low. I got the letter from BCBS and they are offering us a policy that is slightly worse, a higher deductible and a bit better, preventative yearly checkups paid for with a small co-pay. The price is the same as the Unicare increase price.

So I guess I'm less pissed now. It doesn't hurt anymore when they stop beating you :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom