Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itnetpro View Post
This is exactly what make my Wife's company stock and future so secure. Even though the family owns half the company each CEO is groomed from with-in and starts at much lower position in organization. Years ago there was a CEO who they were grooming who had ideas about going private to raise tons of capital and expand at a much higher rate. That CEO was encouraged to move on. After he did the company made an announcement of how committed they are to staying private and the ESOP.

The curent CEO is young and shares the same values of the family.
The criticism you are getting on your plan stems from a simple idea: You don't have to keep running after you have won the race. All everyone saying is that you can take all the risks you like (single company is a HUGE business risk) as long as you are working. But you MUST give up all the risks before you retire even if that means forgoing future returns. If you have already made up your mind then all I can say is good luck.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
The criticism you are getting on your plan stems from a simple idea: You don't have to keep running after you have won the race. All everyone saying is that you can take all the risks you like (single company is a HUGE business risk) as long as you are working. But you MUST give up all the risks before you retire even if that means forgoing future returns. If you have already made up your mind then all I can say is good luck.
You are forced out of the ESOP 5 years after you retire so will need to diversify anyway so non issue...
Itnetpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #23

Quote:
This is exactly what make my Wife's company stock and future so secure. Even though the family owns half the company each CEO is groomed from with-in and starts at much lower position in organization. Years ago there was a CEO who they were grooming who had ideas about going private to raise tons of capital and expand at a much higher rate. That CEO was encouraged to move on. After he did the company made an announcement of how committed they are to staying private and the ESOP.

The curent CEO is young and shares the same values of the family.
Awesome! My ESOP company had a singular CEO, and he was all for the ESOP and the employees. After he retired, the new CEO wanted growth (which is limited by the ESOP), and wanted to take the company public. Due to outstanding debt (mostly ~$2B in ESOP liabilities), he was unable to do so. But having to give out ESOP $ has severely limited the company's ability to grow.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
Agree 100%, except I would change the word 'criticism' to 'advise'. All civilizations fail eventually, as do all companies, I would posit.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Awesome! My ESOP company had a singular CEO, and he was all for the ESOP and the employees. After he retired, the new CEO wanted growth (which is limited by the ESOP), and wanted to take the company public. Due to outstanding debt (mostly ~$2B in ESOP liabilities), he was unable to do so. But having to give out ESOP $ has severely limited the company's ability to grow.
Yea we watch them carefully for any signs of change of attitude but so far they been good with putting people on the board who reflect the families values that are so important to them.

They also give 10s of millions of dollars to charity with their own 50 million charity fund and have this department thats heavily staffed dedicated to their associates who have special needs like death in the family or illness that needs help paying bills.

So their core values are very strong unlike any other company I know of. Thats why my wife has been there for 33 years since she was 18 and will never leave until she retires.

Because of how well the ESOP is funded and they own al their land where they build with a mostly recession proof product it would be hard for a company like theirs to realize huge losses. Something would have to happen to management, go public or replace the entire board with folks who would get rid of the ESOP and expand faster. Over the last few years they actually made the ESOP even better not worse.

But with that said things can change especially over a 10 year period. So always have to be vigilant.

If anyone wants to know who they are just chat me in private. I prefer not to post them in open forum...
Itnetpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Yea we watch them carefully for any signs of change of attitude but so far they been good with putting people on the board who reflect the families values that are so important to them.

They also give 10s of millions of dollars to charity with their own 50 million charity fund and have this department thats heavily staffed dedicated to their associates who have special needs like death in the family or illness that needs help paying bills.

So their core values are very strong unlike any other company I know of. Thats why my wife has been there for 33 years since she was 18 and will never leave until she retires.

Because of how well the ESOP is funded and they own al their land where they build with a mostly recession proof product it would be hard for a company like theirs to realize huge losses. Something would have to happen to management, go public or replace the entire board with folks who would get rid of the ESOP and expand faster. Over the last few years they actually made the ESOP even better not worse.

But with that said things can change especially over a 10 year period. So always have to be vigilant.

If anyone wants to know who they are just chat me in private. I prefer not to post them in open forum...
Are they hiring? Sounds like a wonderful company / team to work in.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Itnetpro. Hope you find E-R.org a blog useful, I sure have.

So it sounds like you want an Annuity and just want some guidance that it is not a bad decision. Probably most people here will tell you can do better (including myself).

However, if you really want an annuity go ahead and do it. Do some serious research, and I would get two equally valued ones from competing companies. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Enjoy reading more...
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

You know what they say (actually it was just Robert Burns) about the best laid plans of mice and men.... I would wait 5 years and see where you are and then ask all the questions about how to invest your retirement savings. Your numbers might be different, the economic climate will likely be different.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I will say if you "want the best" in your old age re Skilled Care Facilities, just be prepared to pay for it. In high-labor markets the costs are pretty breathtaking, and don't forget that historically healthcare costs have mostly exceeded the annual inflation rate.

We chose the third-rated facility in our state for my MIL, and in 2015 (the year she died, unexpected brain aneurysm) the charge for SCN at a non-profit was $8,600/month. At a well-regarded for-profit facility, the charge was $12,200/month.

We were advised by all facilities we investigated before choosing one, that all of them raised their rates for current/new residents 2-4% on July 1st - without fail. Non-profits or for-profits, all nine did this.

Make very, very sure you can afford what you and your spouse want....especially if you both have to enter SCN. Note that rate increases also affected the Asst. Lvg. residents, unless it was a CCRC that required a buy-in before admittance.
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2020 View Post
I will say if you "want the best" in your old age re Skilled Care Facilities, just be prepared to pay for it. In high-labor markets the costs are pretty breathtaking, and don't forget that historically healthcare costs have mostly exceeded the annual inflation rate.

We chose the third-rated facility in our state for my MIL, and in 2015 (the year she died, unexpected brain aneurysm) the charge for SCN at a non-profit was $8,600/month. At a well-regarded for-profit facility, the charge was $12,200/month.

We were advised by all facilities we investigated before choosing one, that all of them raised their rates for current/new residents 2-4% on July 1st - without fail. Non-profits or for-profits, all nine did this.

Make very, very sure you can afford what you and your spouse want....especially if you both have to enter SCN. Note that rate increases also affected the Asst. Lvg. residents, unless it was a CCRC that required a buy-in before admittance.

Even CCRC’s with buy-ins typically raise monthly costs every year. They have to in order to remain viable long-term. The rate increases I’ve seen are in the 3-5% annually range.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Neither you nor anyone else can know the future return of an investment. For example, an unexpected new regulation could severely change the profitability of one company. You should diversify sooner, not later.