Join Early Retirement Today

Outsider Investments
Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Outsider Investments

Anybody else use a collectable for asset diversity? Never meant to do that but it has turned out that way.

Started with one old Lionel train set and the next thing I knew a had a house full, two houses actually. Keep some up at the ranch.

When I told the new insurance agent their value she said, "Oh, my god". (Do all young women use that expression now? Seems like.)

I like the "Great Depression Era" stuff. Mid 1930's and some late 1920's. All originals, all tinplate.

Worthless to the wives and girlfriends if they inherit it but other males seem willing to buy anything I want to get rid of for more than I paid.

My brother collects "ousider art" like Clayton Baily sculpture and Roy Deforrest drawings. Even has one small Arneson sculpture.

I think his insurance agent is going to faint.

boont

boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Outsider Investments
Old 07-07-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No - but:

My baseball cap collection hit 500 before a 1995 tornado tore the roof off. In the 70's and 80's(my multi asset days before I ever heard 'slice and dice') - I toyed with the classics - stamps, guns, coins, collector knives. Never really got too far - a SWAG being maybe 5% of assets in the 80's.

Trolling my foggy memory banks:

PacNW - on visits back the SO used to visit(shop?) a guy who retired from the lumbermill with my Dad - traded wood species via a club all over the world* and made 'thingys' for lack of a better word - clocks, goblets, candleholders, tabletops - she lost about 15-30 pieces/objects with Katrina.

One of my Brit engineer buddies - second wife made 'collectible' dolls - traveled/traded/sold all over the world. Can you say 'tax deduction' for travel.

A manager in Denver - Arabian horses.

A friend of ours in Slidell - had 1/3 of his house in trains - his wife left him. He also had a lifelong stamp collection in a dedicated air conditioned/humidity controlled room.

I lost a cheap $275 Dake roller blade collectible knife - disabled seaman out my swamp - had a small 20X40 shop and made/sold all over. Wife was a school teacher.

Yep - know of guys who retired via guns, coins, stamps. Interestingly - only knew women who collected the more classic art - probably just us - none who retired via asset value offhand.

heh heh heh

Crap! Lest I forget - semiprecious unmount gems and 'rock crystals' - also one of my phases. Even cracked and bought a small faceted fire opal on this years cruise.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yeah, I have my hard asset just in case my all of my financial assets fail

a big pile of ammunition
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Second wife collected MI Hummel figurines. I would estimate they are "worth" $>60k. Now if I can only find a sucker a srious collector to take these off my hands. Current DW is not a collector and they take up a LOT of room.

Oh, the insuance company does have a full listing of each of them.

I only seem to "collect" the left over nails, nuts, bolts, screws and misc. parts from various home decorating-repair-upgrading projects along with misc. tools from three generations of guys in the family. My sons will get a truck-load of such stuff to deal with when I am gone. Serves them right for "losing" most of my tools while they were growing up.

Please forgive the following: It has been one of those days...... :

I tried collecting stamps but found it a bit sticky.

I tried to collect trains but I kept getting de-railed.

I tried collecting coins but I could not make heads nor tails of them.

I tried collecting baseball cards but I kept striking out on finding the good ones.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I collected sports cards for awhile. Then they flooded the market with crap during the 90's /2000's and basically killed the market for me. Problem is they take up so much room if you get caught up in it. Not like I would know anything about that...
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Surely someone owns a Purdey Shotgun or a 1957 Chevy hardtop or a Navajo Blanket.

How about a wine seller with some vintage juice or Cuban cigars?

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote