Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Paid State Tax By Mistake - Refund Advice
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 811
Paid State Tax By Mistake - Refund Advice

I recently moved and did not provide my new address to the folks who send me my pension check in time for my January check. Consequently, CT taxes were taken out for January. I am OK for the rest of the year in my new state WA or so I am told.

I am hoping someone knows if/how I can notify CT about the mistake and get my taxes refunded now. Or, will I need to wait for next tax season? Or, have I funded something in CT which I hope is wonderful and I am SOL.

Any advice?

davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,420
have you called the CT taxing authority? I would assume you could file taxes next year to get it refunded. But call them and ask. I doubt you are the first to do this.

bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Gumby's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Milford
Posts: 12,920
You could ask the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services DRS: Contact DRS
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 811
Thanks bingybear and gumby. Mystery solved. I will call them tomorrow.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,285
I wasn't allowed to change residence information for my last check which would be deposited after I moved. The state of Maryland did not quibble when I sent in a tax return asking for the entire amount deposited back. You need to do something to establish residency just to be safe. But what I am saying is that, in my case, I was forced to pay the tax and wait until tax time for the year of the deposit to ask for it back. Again that was MD.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State tax refund is short Debinnov a FIRE and Money 10 03-21-2016 08:32 AM
Delayed State Tax Refund - Will Take Between 8 to 12 Weeks! Disappointed FIRE and Money 12 03-23-2015 09:27 PM
Another tax question: State tax paid as a deduction BBQ-Nut FIRE and Money 9 02-19-2015 08:53 AM
State Tax Refund GrayHare Other topics 6 04-04-2014 04:02 PM
AGI and State Tax Refund jazz4cash FIRE and Money 12 02-14-2007 09:54 AM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.