Paid State Tax By Mistake - Refund Advice

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently moved and did not provide my new address to the folks who send me my pension check in time for my January check. Consequently, CT taxes were taken out for January. I am OK for the rest of the year in my new state WA or so I am told.

I am hoping someone knows if/how I can notify CT about the mistake and get my taxes refunded now. Or, will I need to wait for next tax season? Or, have I funded something in CT which I hope is wonderful and I am SOL.

Any advice?

have you called the CT taxing authority? I would assume you could file taxes next year to get it refunded. But call them and ask. I doubt you are the first to do this.

You could ask the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services DRS: Contact DRS

Thanks bingybear and gumby. Mystery solved. I will call them tomorrow.

I wasn't allowed to change residence information for my last check which would be deposited after I moved. The state of Maryland did not quibble when I sent in a tax return asking for the entire amount deposited back. You need to do something to establish residency just to be safe. But what I am saying is that, in my case, I was forced to pay the tax and wait until tax time for the year of the deposit to ask for it back. Again that was MD.

Back
Top Bottom