Join Early Retirement Today

Pandemic spending results as example of 'Lean year'
Old 08-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pandemic spending results as example of 'Lean year'

The question of how much discretionary spending can we forgo in case the market goes really south was answered last year curtesy of the pandemic.
A couple in mid 60s, one daughter fully independent, house paid off, no other properties, living in HCL area.
Between March and December 2020, we forgo dining out, vacations, trips, visiting family and friends, our driving mileage was less than half, etc. My part-time engineering consulting gig went completely dormant (still is), which was also on my mind, and put us in 'full retirement mode'.
Recent normal yearly spend pattern is $190-220K all inclusive.
Covid-19 2020 year spend was $140K all inclusive.
So there it is.
Other immediate low-hanging fruits possible for further reduction of spend: eliminating my Jaguar lease payment ($11k/year currently expensed on my business), selling my other sports car 'toy', etc.

On the income side, Firecalc claims we can 100% spend $260k/yr. for the next 35 years, and still potentially leave something substantial for our daughter (considering SS, small pensions, etc.)
yidal8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same here. 2019 spend was about 84K. 2020 spend was about 60K.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are 50% fixed, 50% discretionary with regard to our annual spend (which we call a budget ). We pulled in the reins hard at the start of the pandemic, but then switched over unused travel $$ to buying new toys like kayaks and carbon fiber bicycles, new furniture for the house, and private lessons for things like golf, tennis, and music (piano and guitar).

So we ended up spending exactly as we have in prior years.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #4

Went from around 51% fixed / 49% discretionary in 2019, to 73% fixed, 27% discretionary in 2020. Wasn't the most fun, but we weren't hurting.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:23 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mid Pandemic, we decided to build a new house. An extra $200K (on top of the sale of our old house) for 2020, so I guess I am---once again---an outlier.

We did note that our usual/normal discretionary spending dropped by about 50%.

Oh, and in the 'timing is everything' column, the leases on our two cars were up and we had to put $11K down in deposits for two new lease cars. Ugh!

Also because our new house wasn't ready for three extra months we had a $14K Airbnb expense!
Old 08-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #6

Total spending down around 40%.
Not only discretionary but my essential as well. Thought I'd wear my car out by now but I can easily get 3 years more than expected. Part miss estimating, part no t driving.
Groceries lower even with inflation and steaks at home by moving to near 0 pre-made foods.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #7

Until this summer, our spending was 5-10% less than expected. Would have been lower, but we had our adult daughter living with us until recently.

We refinanced our mortgage into a shorter term, which raised cash outflow somewhat, but produces a significant savings in interest. We're also starting to travel by car, and hotels are very expensive right now.

We're probably back to baseline or slightly higher.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:02 AM   #8

2020 spending was 26% less than 2019, mostly accounted for by the loss of any international travel opportunity.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidal8 View Post
The question of how much discretionary spending can we forgo in case the market goes really south was answered last year curtesy of the pandemic.
A couple in mid 60s, one daughter fully independent, house paid off, no other properties, living in HCL area.
Between March and December 2020, we forgo dining out, vacations, trips, visiting family and friends, our driving mileage was less than half, etc. My part-time engineering consulting gig went completely dormant (still is), which was also on my mind, and put us in 'full retirement mode'.
Recent normal yearly spend pattern is $190-220K all inclusive.
Covid-19 2020 year spend was $140K all inclusive.
So there it is.
Other immediate low-hanging fruits possible for further reduction of spend: eliminating my Jaguar lease payment ($11k/year currently expensed on my business), selling my other sports car 'toy', etc.

On the income side, Firecalc claims we can 100% spend $260k/yr. for the next 35 years, and still potentially leave something substantial for our daughter (considering SS, small pensions, etc.)

What if we use % instead of actual numbers. That's more consistent and doesn't lead off in other directions. I didn't actually need to know that you lease a Jag and how much it costs you.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Our 2020 expenses were down 29% from 2019. 2019 was inflated a bit since we bought a car, but taking that out spending was still down about 18%.

2021 spending is on track to be higher than 2020, but not by much (and still less than 2019), since our largest discretionary spending category (vacation/travel) is still impacted on the international side.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

My 2020 spending was down about 33% from 2019.
Hubcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I spent more in 2020 than any year since 2015. I always have a few unusual large unusual expenses that I note on my tracking spreadsheet, but they happened to be larger in 2020. Taking those out it would pretty much be the same. I got in 2 ski trips before things shutdown last year.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
Administrator

Our 2020 spending was 49.9% less than 2019. No international travel, no cruise.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #14

Our core spending was down 22% in 2020, mostly due to lowered travel and dining out. Groceries were up though, which muted the decrease in spending.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #15

I don't track my spending in retirement so I can't give you dollar amount or percentage changes.
But I did start age 70 SS at the beginning of the pandemic early last year.

So with international travel not possible for the last 17 months, my pension/annuity +SS income has greatly exceeded my current expenses, similar to what others have reported.

So I've been investing anywhere from $2000 to $4000 per month of excess income into my taxable account...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #16

Our spending from 2019 to 2020 was only down 3k. BUt here are the caveats: for our routine savings we still expense them ex: we save 1k a month for travel whether we travel or not and we mark it as spent on the monthly spend bc when it goes to savings its spent. SO those didnt change. SO when we travel we spend out of savings line item marked travel and it doesnt show up in our monthly budget. SO a 5k trip isnt a blip on the monthly spend the month we take the trip or pay for the trip. We also stopped eating out but spent a TON on groceries. i mean a ton. ORganic and alot of it. Nice cuts of meat. We skimped nothing. Our house was also needy.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Overall spending was down about $20K a year due to no travel and limited eating out, did a lot of togo to support our favorite restaurants. I did spend more on Amazon, Otherwise it would have been down more.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Compared to 2019, in 2020 I spent much less on automobile expenses, much much less on restaurants, slightly more on groceries, infinitely less on travel, much more on face masks (I did actually buy a few N95 masks for a home project in 2019), and I continued my trend of spending more on hobbies than the previous year.

Overall, I spent about 10% less in 2020 than 2019. It would have been even closer had I not had a big emergency home repair bill in 2019.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I didn't track it, but other than charities (way up) we spent almost nothing but what was required to "exist" (food - groceries, utilities, HOA dues, etc). We did almost nothing in 2020 but sit in the apartment and walk around outside - filled gas tank maybe 3 times. I'd guess discretionary spending was down 80%.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:16 AM   #20

We did not have a low spending year for 2020 because we had a couple remodeling projects. However, during the lockdown period we had several consecutive months that were under half of the years' average/mo.