Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulation. Although I am leery of my own history of a 40% drop in my portfolio in 2008 along with the house price, those still have not gotten back to the 2007 levels. Landmarks can be temporary and existed only on paper or in one's mind for a fleeting moment.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
LOL that happened to me several times.............
Yea, me, too. First time wife #1 decided she'd rather have half a million and not have to put up with me.

Second time was 2007. Third time was 2011.

But anyway, congratulations!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, Making it to the one mil mark is a defining moment. Not many people make it. The folks on these forums are some of the exceptions. Remember when a couple of thousand upward was a nice surprise in a month or quarter? Now...it's several thousands! Just remember to keep it low key and not say anything to the co-workers, etc. It's our secret!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!!!!!!
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I remember the day we crossed $1M very well. It is a big milestone - and you should feel great about it!!
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #46

Here you go - Barenaked Ladies " If I had $1,000,000

bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I sang that song for days after I hit my $1M milestone. The song always makes me smile.
ChocoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #48

Congrats -- What really feels good next is if you can get a cushion of say of few hundred K above 1M. Then it starts to feel like it would take a significant market correction to take you below again.

Similar to watching a sports event and your team is up with enough cushion to likely win the game.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

WOW. Thank you so very much for all your comments!
I didn't think I would get so many replies. I am so grateful that everyone is so very supportive here. I guess we have a common goal and it's refreshing to be in this kind of environment. (I cannot imagine sharing this kind of information with people I know , so I am glad that I am here with like minded LBYM fire dreamers!!)

I hope this will compound fast... ( "We can never know about the days to come, but we think about them anyway....." - One can always hope! ) I am adding, including the company matching, etc, about 55K a year into the market, so that is a plus. I am not ready to retire any time soon, but I feel more financially secure than before, for sure. Even if I got laid off soon, I would have some extra cushios. I am starting to think that maybe I won't retire entirely when I leave this field.. I wonder if anybody would hire a senior waitress? (get some socialization while getting some workout...) Possibilities are endless....
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #50

Just a passing thought...If you don't have a personal liability umbrella policy added onto your homeowners, etc., I would think about adding one. The rates are pretty low for 1 or 2 mil. It's good protection for you and your net worth.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Just a passing thought...If you don't have a personal liability umbrella policy added onto your homeowners, etc., I would think about adding one. The rates are pretty low for 1 or 2 mil. It's good protection for you and your net worth.
+1
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #52

Quote:
When growing up 1M was the golden grail of achievement whereas now 1M isn't what it use to be.
Boy, ain't that the truth? Still it is a major milestone and one that fewer and fewer Americans are reaching. Anyone who does should be VERY proud of themselves.

And ditto on the suggestion to get umbrella liability coverage if you don't already have it. I can testify that it is worth every penney.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for the suggestion on umbrella. Big part of 1M is in my 401k but I did start the umbrella a few years ago, I think, by following suggestions on this forum.

Thank you for watching over me!!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

sweet!!!!!!
lacawac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Big Congrats! What an accomplishment! Can you tell me more about your situation- age, income, family size? Does this put you on track for your target retirement date?
catccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

The first million is the hardest to make..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

Congratulations! I just passed $1M in this year and decided that I want to retire before 65. I'm currently 59 years old and would like to retire in one year.

I found this site while Googling and have already learned a lot. I'd never heard about personal liability umbrella insurance but called my insurance agent and am having my car and condo insurance adjusted to the limits necessary. One goes up and one goes down and just about cancel each other out. The umbrella policy is $107/yr.

This month, I took cash that had been sitting doing nothing and paid off my mortgage and my car payment. I now have zero debt.
JasmineJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice... It's a milestone for sure.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineJ View Post
Congratulations! I just passed $1M in this year and decided that I want to retire before 65. I'm currently 59 years old and would like to retire in one year.

I found this site while Googling and have already learned a lot. I'd never heard about personal liability umbrella insurance but called my insurance agent and am having my car and condo insurance adjusted to the limits necessary. One goes up and one goes down and just about cancel each other out. The umbrella policy is $107/yr.

This month, I took cash that had been sitting doing nothing and paid off my mortgage and my car payment. I now have zero debt.
Good for you! Congratulations on zero debt!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Its a great milestone! Fortunately you usually get to repeat it a few times as the market gyrates...
Started in April 2012, then Sept, then December. It's stayed above there since Dec, and now that we've had a few good months it looks pretty solid.

Congrats to the OP! It's such a big milestone, I think you expect to feel different, but it's really doesn't change things that much.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote