Pay off mortgage or savings acct?

Scarab

Dryer sheet wannabe
Assume you have $100,000 to either save (not invest) or pay off a mortgage for the same amount. Paying the mortgage does not necessarily keep you up at night.

So you have a couple choices available.

1. Put the money in a 1 yr CD, (currently earning .6 to .8 percent).

2. Pay off an existing mortgage balance (3 5/8%) of the same amount? (You're currently 15 years into the 30 year mortgage term)

Looking at historical S&P index fund performance, a low cost exchange fund may produce higher returns than the 3 5/8% mortgage, however putting this $100k might throw your allocation off too far for your comfort.

What would be a smarter move at this point in time?

Additional assumptions:
. . . 62 yrs old, preparing for retirement (between now and Jan 1)
. . . not in any hurry to take SS yet. . . you do not expect a need for this $100k in the next 12 to 24 months, or perhaps longer
. . . happy with current allocation of risk, so this money won't go into the market

Last edited:
Depends on whether you might need that money for something else. If it's likely you will, keep the cash handy. If it's less likely, you could pay it off and get a HELOC just in case you need to tap the equity.

As long as you are not worried about losing your job, I'd pay the mortgage off in a heartbeat.

The mortgage at 3 5/8% is really like a savings account earning 4.16% since the mortgage has to be paid with after tax money. I feel it will be a long time before interest rates hit over 4%.
Not having that payment each month will feel good.

Do you have to put the 100K in one place? Look at your payment schedule for years 15 to 30 and pick a comfort spot as far as interest vs principle payments. Pay down to that number. Put the rest in the market. I personally expect higher inflation as a result of COVID so paying back mostly principle money for the duration of your mortgage could be a good thing.

Last edited:

In terms of “this point in time,” one’s age might be a consideration. If I were 30ish, dropping the entire $100K in a stock index would surely crush all other alternatives over the next 50 years or so. If I were 60ish, I’d pay off the mortgage to free up cash flow and to ensure the house is protected should massive major medical bills in coming decades consume all other assets.

Pay off the mortgage - your future self will thank you for having done it.

Oddly, I recently had the same thoughts and made a 100K principle payment toward our mortgage at 2.625%. It felt like a good alternative to the CD's available, but I did also bought twice as much in no-penalty CD's at 1.3% in 5 separate accounts. We have enough at risk in equities, and doing some toward the mortgage seemed reasonable, but not to pay it all off, I wanted to keep some free cash for opportunities or bank of Dad loans. BTW I am approaching 66 which tempers my risk tolerance.

Since "invest" is off the table, as long as you have the safety bucket full, or some other type of cash stored away, I would pay off the mortgage. Oh wait. I did that very thing 2 months ago.:cool:

Thanks for the input. I added some assumptions for clarity, but the insight has been helpful so far.

The concept could be flawed, but paying the mortgage off means the end of paying interest, the elimination of debt, and perhaps some peace of mind. While otherwise, the $100k in a CD/MM/Saving account is only earning $500 over the next 12 months (assuming .5% interest), maybe less, maybe for more than a year or two.

Additional assumptions:
. . . not in any hurry to take SS yet. . . you do not expect a need for this $100k in the next 12 to 24 months
. . . happy with current allocation of risk, so this money won't go into the market

I paid off the mortgage... And applied for a HELOC immediately. HELOC is free unless you borrow from it. (At least it was for me.... No fees.) We've tapped the HELOC once, and had it paid to zero in 3 months. It provides the emergency or cash flow cushion we might (rarely) need.

Apply for the HELOC before you retire... so it's in place. (Although I blew it with this - and still qualified after retiring.)

At the very least I'd refinance the mortgage to a 15 year term. My DD just locked a 15 year loan at 2.5 % with 0.5 points.

Thanks for the input. I added some assumptions for clarity, but the insight has been helpful so far.

The concept could be flawed, but paying the mortgage off means the end of paying interest, the elimination of debt, and perhaps some peace of mind. While otherwise, the $100k in a CD/MM/Saving account is only earning $500 over the next 12 months (assuming .5% interest), maybe less, maybe for more than a year or two.

Additional assumptions:
. . . not in any hurry to take SS yet. . . you do not expect a need for this $100k in the next 12 to 24 months

You need the money after 2 years? Why pay off the mortgage? What is this, a thought exercise? You clearly talked about the S and P index in your first post. Do whatever you want....I don't know why you are asking for advice. :facepalm:

For a number of years prior to 2020, our AA was 60/35/5... with the 5% being cash in an online savings account that was earning 1.7% in December 2019. Meanwhile, we had a 3.375% mortgage.

Towards the end of 2019 I decided to use the cash to pay off the mortgage... so I figure that I am ahead by avoiding paying 3.375% but forgoing 1.7% (which has since declined further to 0.6% last time that I looked).

In my case I changed my AA from 60/35/5 to 65/35/0 so it was clear that I was trading off 1.75% for 3.375%.... if I hadn't changed my AA I'm not sure it would have been the right move.

Assume you have $100,000 to either save (not invest) or pay off a mortgage for the same amount. Paying the mortgage does not necessarily keep you up at night.

2. Pay off an existing mortgage balance (3 5/8%) of the same amount? (You're currently 15 years into the 30 year mortgage term)

Looking at historical S&P index fund performance, a low cost exchange fund may produce higher returns than the 3 5/8% mortgage, however putting this $100k might throw your allocation off too far for your comfort.

Additional assumptions:
. . . not in any hurry to take SS yet. . . you do not expect a need for this $100k in the next 12 to 24 months, or perhaps longer

Hi OP, this is as much a emotional as a financial decision, so I do not believe there is one "right" answer. Let me share my situation to show you my thought process, which you may or may not agree with.

I retired end of June 2018, age 60. At the time, I was 5 years into a 15 year refinanced mortgage. The interest rate was 2.875%. The monthly payments were a little more that $600/month.

I have a very good non-cola pension that is above the U.S. median household income. In addition to my stock/bonds AA, I had 5 years of cash to cover the gap between pension + spending investment/interest income and our planned expenses. My target SWR was just over 2%. I was in no hurry to payoff my mortgage, the payments were not an issue.

Two years into retirement, our expenses have been much lower even though we have been doing everything we wanted. Our investments grew (even with the March plunge) to be greater than when I retired. Lower spending plus some unexpected cash inflows left us with more cash than when I retired, and our cash could now potentially cover us for 10 years.

I still have not taken SS. DW took her SS this year as it is much lower than what she will get as a spouse when I take my SS, and we figured why not. Her monthly SS is about 81% of the monthly mortgage payment. It is just adding to our cash.

Add to that the pandemic, which left us with over $20K allocated for travel this year that we will not be spending.

I was tempted, with all of this "excess" cash, to invest some of it. Since the mortgage had another 7 years, why not invest the equivalent of the balance, I might likely earn more that 2.875% on average annually over that time. But in truth, I do not need to. The biggest benefit of investing it would be to our heirs - who already stand to get plenty- and not so much to us. I already have an AA that lets me sleep at night. Some may consider this "winning the game", I do not know.

So my thought was, rather than increase our investments and, in a sense, complicate our financial picture, why not simplify it? The biggest item that stood out to simplify was eliminating our mortgage.

Now, we owed less than you - about $50K. Given the amount of cash we had, and being halfway into the 15 year mortgage at this point, I thought that it was time to focus less on maximizing how much money I can earn - and the risks associated with doing that - and more on having less financial things for us to deal with.

So, in July we paid off our mortgage. We have no regrets. It is a nice feeling dong the monthly bills and not having that on the list. We still have plenty of cash on hand and no financial need for me to take my SS - at which point our planned expenses will be completely covered by pension + SS + interest/dividend income.

So... I just wanted to share with you my thought process. Our situation may not be applicable to yours, but perhaps you can use it to compare and contrast. Good luck with whatever decision you make. :)

In terms of “this point in time,” one’s age might be a consideration. If I were 30ish, dropping the entire $100K in a stock index would surely crush all other alternatives over the next 50 years or so. If I were 60ish, I’d pay off the mortgage to free up cash flow and to ensure the house is protected should massive major medical bills in coming decades consume all other assets.

I think this is the biggest thing, given the age of OP, I'd be putting it into a safe investment which isn't going to earn them even what they are paying on the mortgage thus paying it off is really the best answer IMO.

I'm trying to preserve cash until 59.5 so we will be paying our mortgage until then with the plan to then pay it in full as we gain full access to all our investments without any restrictions.

Personally, I would pay off the mortgage as I always feel better not owing money to anyone. Being completely debt free is a wonder feeling.

However, if you're on the fence as to what to do, you could always save 50K and use the other 50K to pay off a good chunk of the mortgage.

Because for "Most" retired folks it is the right thing to do. The best thing we ever did was put $4k a month back in our nest egg account. Stops paying high(er) interest in a low interest environment.

That's a hell of a mortgage payment. My mortgage was for $400K, and my PI was about $1800/month. If you're including taxes and insurance, that doesn't go away just because you get rid of the mortgage. You just pay them separately. If you actually had a $4K/month PI payment, you probably had a higher rate. When I had a jumbo mortgage I certainly did. But I don't think that's apples and apples with the OP's situation.

Having said that, I don't disagree that the OP would better off paying off the mortgage. But I'm still not sold that it's the right thing for "Most" retired folks. It all depends on the situation. If you've got cash sitting around that you would ordinarily put in a CD or whatever, sure, pay off (or down) the mortgage. But there are other options. Like waiting a bit until people start defaulting on their mortgages and buy a rental or two. That's what I did with my first mortgage back in 2010-ish. That's been and continues to be a much better investment than letting the cash languish or letting it sit uselessly in home equity. So, as usual, it depends.

Additional assumptions:

You didn't mention your healthcare plan for the next 3 years. If I was in this situation and was planning on using the ACA and getting a subsidy, I'd designate $33k per year to use for living expenses (so it's not treated as income, getting you a larger subsidy). In the short term, I'd put it in CDs, maybe laddering them if the longer term rates were better.

If having $100K "in your pocket" is what allows you to have your current equity allocation, and not having that much in your pocket will cause a negative shift in your sleep pattern, then that would argue for not paying it off. If there's any possibility there will be pressure to refill the cash bucket by selling equities after the cash bucket gets dumped into home equity, that would argue for not paying it off. But I like the idea of "paying it off and get a HELOC before retiring". This would prevent reducing equity percent to refill the cash bucket, and still allow sound sleep.

I do believe, though, that opinions vary on this topic :LOL:

Because for "Most" retired folks it is the right thing to do. The best thing we ever did was put $4k a month back in our nest egg account. Stops paying high(er) interest in a low interest environment.

The question was really to mrfeh... and my point was that it is not particularly helpful to state something like "I'd pay off the mortgage in a heartbeat" without explaining why and I was curious as to his reasons why.

I'm not sure that I agree with you that for "most" retired folks it is the right thing to do... I think it is more situational than a blanket statement. I fully agree with your last sentence and that is why I paid off our mortgage in December 2019 and made a commensurate adjustment to our AA... effectively avoiding paying 3.375% vs giving up earning 1.7% earned on the cash used to payoff the mortgage (and that yield has since declined to 0.6%).

Since our mortgage payment was on autopay I've barely noticed that we don't make a mortgage payment anymore... it is just reflected in a lower monthly automatic withdrawal from our nestegg.

But there could be other situations where it isn't a good idea.... I think we benefited by not paying our mortgage off in 2012 when I retired as at that time even our fixed income allocation was yielding more than the 3.375% that we were paying, not to mention our total portfolio return.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I don't get the sense of euphoria that some posters do... to me having a mortgage or not is simply a financial decision... I'm not emotional about it at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom