pay your student loans

SteveR said:
My son seems to be doing just that.  He has intentionally slowed his progress in getting his degree so he can continue to live in the student ghetto on campus and live in the "artifical" world of a large university.  He works full time for the university IT department as a network support tech. and even teaches some courses from time to time.  He and some buddies have formed a company to use their talents to get some experience in the real-world application of their chosen field and have even made some stuff for the university to use. 

He is on his own so if it takes him the rest of his life to finish, then that is up to him.  No wife, no kids, no house, a 15 year old car and shared living expenses put him in a low living expense category so I hope he is saving some of it but by the looks of things it is all going into the business in the form of technology.
Sounds like he's trading off a degree for subsidized housing, a one-minute commute, and an occasional teaching gig. Perhaps it's a little difficult to attract a mate when you're a 20-something in the dorm but if that was a priority problem then it would've been solved pretty quickly. We're not supposed to see a problem here, are we?

College was the best eight years of my brother's life. He's working full-time (for the last couple decades) while he's waiting for his R&B band to take off. Seems to be working for him...

Robert the Red said:
The best student I had in Calculus, on the other hand, was a guy who'd just got out of the Marines (Gulf War #1 had just ended a few month earlier).

Maybe he had a very deep understanding of trajectory, acceleration, etc.

Ha

Spanky said:
My fondest days were flying kites, playing with marbles, and watching the stars at nights during my childhood.

Heh. When I was a kid growing up in NYC, it was a great joy to spend summers in the vacation house my parents own on the edge of the Jersey pine barrens. I spent many a day fishing all day at the lake, running around in the woods, or just reading. Mom would take us to do stuff like pick blueberries, and I remember being woken up in the middle of the night to see Halley's commet. When dad came down for the weekends (he had to work in the city during the week), we would go fishing on Barnegat Bay. It was a wonderful childhood. That's probably been a factor in my choice to move from Queens to central NJ, and its almost certainly a factor in my hankering for a vacation place in the woods now that we are having kids.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom