Join Early Retirement Today

Paying COBRA with HSA
Old 01-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Paying COBRA with HSA

An interesting tidbit I just ran across that I was unaware of so I thought I'd post:

"You can pay your insurance premiums using pre-tax dollars in a health savings account (HSA) if you enroll in COBRA or are receiving unemployment insurance."

Of course the COBRA plan must be a high deductible plan. This was actually posted here back in 2006, but not since then, at least not that I found so thought it wouldn't hurt to re-post for anyone (like me) deciding between COBRA or ACA.

Without the above caveat I believe health insurance is only deductible if you itemize and, and only on the portion of the cost above 10% of your AGI. At least that's what I got from this article, but please verify this part yourself, I'm still coming up to speed on most of this stuff:

https://www.investopedia.com/are-hea...ctible-4773286
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the COBRA plan needs to be a high deductible plan to be paid from a HSA.... so if you have an existing HSA from previous years, leave/retire and go on COBRA, you can use HSA money to pay those COBRA premiums whether the COBRA coverage is high deductible or not.

I guess if you had a COBRA policy that was HSA qualified you could make deductible contributions to the HSA and then use the HSA to pay for the COBRA premiums (or later reimburse yourself for any COBRA premiums paid). In that case the HSA contributions would be a HSA deduction and not an itemized deduction.

You can't use include any insurance premiums paid from a HSA in itemized deductions.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 to pb4uski's comments above.

The limit is 7.5% of AGI now. And you can include all sorts of OOP medical expenses in addition to premiums to try to reach that number. Just not anything for which you've also obtained a tax benefit (so you can't include a medical expense on Schedule A for which you also reimbursed yourself from your HSA).

Most people, though, will still be better off with the standard deduction, because even if you make it above 7.5% of AGI on medical expenses, that amount (plus your RE taxes, charitable donations, etc.) still has to exceed the higher standard deduction. Which is hard to do for about 80% to 90% of taxpayers.

FYI there is a deduction (an adjustment, actually) for health insurance if you are self-employed. See line 16 of Schedule 1 and the related IRS instructions. Note that if you are self employed and on an ACA plan and receiving a PTC, and want to claim the SE HI deduction, the tax law has a circular calculation that is a pain to figure out.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While we are on the subject of health insurance premiums, donít forget the $3000 adjustment to 1099R taxable income for retired Public Safety Officers who have the premiums deducted from their gross payment.

All of these adjustments / deductions can stack, but no double dipping. For example, a retired police officer paying $1735/yr for Medicare, paying $4000 for a supplemental policy (taken out of her pension), who is self employed could do this:

1. Subtract $3000 from taxable portion of 1099R pension for PSO

2. Apply the remaining $2735 ($1000+$1735 from Medicare) to the SE Health insurance adjustment

3. If there is not enough self-employed profit to allow the full $2735 adjustment, the remaining amount can be claimed as a medical expense if not using the standard deduction

Any amount paid for health insurance for a spouse and dependents can also be used in #2 and #3
Philliefan33 is online now   Reply With Quote