Pen Fed

NFCU has taken the same "screw you, we have too much business to care about you right now" attitude with us. They wouldn't work with us at all on our current 5.375% mortgage with them, despite our 30 years of business. We'd have a hard time getting that rate today from them without paying points.

Now we're refinancing with a small local bank (Territorial Savings) and I really really hope their 30-year fixed 4.5% with 2.375 points gets finished within the 45-day lock period. (Last week they briefly offered a 4.25% rate but it was gone three days later when we met to do the paperwork.) Territorial says it'll take them a couple weeks just to schedule an appraisal-- which they feel is essential even though we're only going to mortgage about 40% of the home's assessed value. But it seems as if the refinancing business is getting busy again, or else there's a much smaller crew to handle the workload.

We asked NFCU to subordinate their HELOC to our new mortgage and were told that we'd have to reapply. NFCU wanted a new appraisal, new application fees, and a subordination fee. This for a HELOC representing less than 10% of the home's equity. This is the same HELOC that they gave us three years ago along with our no-doc fast-track refinancing that even included a notary driving out to our house to do the closing on our back lanai. I guess those days are over.

Looks like interest rates have hit everyone's sweet spot, and customer loyalty means nothing right now. We also shopped PenFed and USAA and were getting close to applying with USAA when Territorial popped up on a BankRate.com search.

So a smaller local bank in your area might also have a similar refinancing surprise amid the crowds rushing to the big credit unions & banks...

We paid a $20 membership fee to the NMFA to qualify for membership in PenFed (didn't fit any of their other qualification criteria). Once we were in, however, we let the NMFA membership lapse. They only required a $5 initial deposit. We've had CDs there since 2004 -- coming due in January. Time to decide what to do.

So I can ignore this:confused:

By renewing your $20 membership today, you’ll continue to have access to benefits like:​

• Eligibility for Pentagon Federal Credit Union

I got this today in my email, it implies that my PFCU eligibility expires with my NMFA account.:p

Thanks,
2fer

Yes you can ignore it. A basic rule in CU land is "Once a member, always a member." No need to continue your membership in the NMFA unless you wish to do so.

Well, I guess pen fed has become swamped. Noticed today that they are now charging a 1% origination fee on all fixed rate loans, which I believe is new.

I just missed this fee by a few weeks; I pinged my loan officer about the new fee - asking if she knew if the fee was temporary (due to the refi rush) or a permanent addition. I received a 1-sentence boiler plate response:

The 1% origination applies only to applications submitted 1/7/09 and after.

The orgination fee is new and they are swamped, or so they say. Here's the email I got a few days after I completed the online app a week ago.

Good luck having your loan processor contact you. I settle in about 10 days and have NEVER spoken to mine, even though I made it clear I wanted to discuss things with her. I have gotten 3 emails - that's it.

I talked more to the settlement company, they were very nice.

I told them don't bother coming out unless I have the actual settlement documents 3 days prior for review.

This have been a quick turn around, but the communication has been horrible.

We asked NFCU to subordinate their HELOC to our new mortgage and were told that we'd have to reapply. NFCU wanted a new appraisal, new application fees, and a subordination fee. This for a HELOC representing less than 10% of the home's equity. ...

So will you pay off the HELOC instead of subordinating? This is an issue I have run into. I recall loan subordination from the good ol' days and it was practically automatic. NFCU warned me that they were having trouble getting applicants loans subordinated (due to sinking RE values) by other institutions and a broker from another mortgage company said nobody's subordinating these days.

I'll be calling PenFed to see what thier subordination policy is for our HE Loan with them. The policy is supposed to be stated in the deed of trust, but I can't find it.

I think subordination requests are the way that HELOC lenders are getting out of loans they really, really wish they hadn't made back in the day.

So will you pay off the HELOC instead of subordinating? This is an issue I have run into. I recall loan subordination from the good ol' days and it was practically automatic. NFCU warned me that they were having trouble getting applicants loans subordinated (due to sinking RE values) by other institutions and a broker from another mortgage company said nobody's subordinating these days.
I'll be calling PenFed to see what thier subordination policy is for our HE Loan with them. The policy is supposed to be stated in the deed of trust, but I can't find it.
I think subordination requests are the way that HELOC lenders are getting out of loans they really, really wish they hadn't made back in the day.
The HELOC doesn't even have a balance on it. I use it for a short-term slush fund when I need to write a big check right now and "can't wait" a few days to transfer funds from a brokerage account.

RE values aren't the issue either. Our refi is only 40% of the house's assessed value (still waiting on the appraisal, which will be above the assessment) and the HELOC's limit is only 7% of the value.

Brewer has the answer-- NFCU is probably cutting way back on HELOCs or getting their [-]suckers[/-] customers to pay for them a second time.

You may not even want to bother with the subordination if PenFed keeps up their zero-fees HELOC offer that's on their website this week... we may go hog-wild and apply for a HELOC that'd be all the way up to 10% or even 15% of our home's value!

PENFED HELOC is great right now. 2.75% on our current balance. We used some of it last year to await some CD's maturing this year. But at the current rate (which is adjustable) we may just forget that plan as long as NFCU has 5.1% long term CD's available.

Good luck having your loan processor contact you. I settle in about 10 days and have NEVER spoken to mine, even though I made it clear I wanted to discuss things with her. I have gotten 3 emails - that's it.

I talked more to the settlement company, they were very nice.

I told them don't bother coming out unless I have the actual settlement documents 3 days prior for review.

This have been a quick turn around, but the communication has been horrible.

I'm sorry for your negative experience. As a second data point, I received excellent service from PenFed and my refi took 5 weeks from initial application to closing. I never tried calling the loan processor, but I did exchange ~20 emails with her with prompt replies during work hours.

I'm very happy with the overall experience.

Update on PenFed's new and "improved" website...

PenFed has launched a new website - a huge disappointment. The appearance of the site is virtually unchanged. Improvements are marginal and the site is even more cluttered than before with a jumble of ads and information overload.

When logging out there is a link to a survey asking you what you think of the new website. They will be getting any warm fuzzies from my feedback.

On PenFed's new website. I think it is much better than it was. On the account page it has all my accounts,including credit cards, MM checking, CD's and IRA CD's.

I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

I'm a tough customer.

I had expectations of not only improvements in functionality (OK, it is easier to find account info) but scrapping the long outdated appearance. Instead they put a new engine in their 92 Ford Taurus....

The PenFed nightmare is over. What a day. I got my HUD 24 hours before closing and it was all wrong. What a scramble to get it fix. I just signed my papers about an hour ago - it was missing the right to rescind. lol

And guess what, my loan processor still never called me with all the issues today. I guess she's only allowed to send emails.

I will NEVER deal with PenFed again.

The PenFed nightmare is over. What a day. I got my HUD 24 hours before closing and it was all wrong. What a scramble to get it fix. I just signed my papers about an hour ago - it was missing the right to rescind. lol

And guess what, my loan processor still never called me with all the issues today. I guess she's only allowed to send emails.

Seems like it worked out fine, or otherwise you should have not "signed my papers".:) But, seriously, if you really feel that way, and now that everything has been finished, why not take a positive approach and write them a letter (address on the site) and vent your feelings and tell them what exactly went wrong? Could improve the service for those that follow.

This is the only negative thing I've ever read about Penfed.

This is the complete opposite experience I had dealing with them in May. They were awesome in May but that was a HE and not a mortgage.

I just wish sometimes people would do their job!

Sometimes sh%# happens. A couple of years ago I applied for a Visa card, asking for a 5k credit line with them. They call and tell me that they need a couple of years worth of tax returns to review. I told them to just forget it as it wasn't worth the headache. I also had a 100k in cd's with them plus great credit report. Anyway, a couple of months later when logging on to my cd acct, they tell me I was instantly approved for a 15k credit line. I go accept and a year later it is bumped up to over twice that.

So who knows why I got the hard approach the first time. It worked out in the end.:blink:

A couple of years ago I applied for a Visa card, asking for a 5k credit line with them. They call and tell me that they need a couple of years worth of tax returns to review. I told them to just forget it as it wasn't worth the headache. I also had a 100k in cd's with them plus great credit report.

Weird. I also had about $100K of CDs (thanks, ER forum !!) and they
approved my VISA within about an hour.

Anyway, a couple of months later when logging on to my cd acct, they tell me I was instantly approved for a 15k credit line.

Yup, me too.

I just called PenFed to see if my mortgage funded. I was on the phone for 20+ mins, transferred to 3 different people, and I still don't know.

I hung up after another transfer and put on hold.

What a joke. They SUCK!

I just called PenFed to see if my mortgage funded.

You'll receive a large packet in the mail a few days after the loan is funded (my loan was funded the morning after the 3 day right of rescission expired and my packet was post marked the same day). A few weeks after that, you'll be able to see the mortgage details on the website.

Call/email the settlement company or check the website of the previous mortgage lienholder to verify the old mortgage has been payed off.

I just called PenFed to see if my mortgage funded. I was on the phone for 20+ mins, transferred to 3 different people, and I still don't know.

I hung up after another transfer and put on hold.

What a joke. They SUCK!

John. You're having a terrible time with them. You should refuse to take their money and never do business with them again. Life is too short.

Guess i got a different PenFed - they've been the best financial institution i've ever dealt with, having bought and sold maybe 20 properties. Omly done a single refi, over newyear's last year, with PenFed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom