PEN FED certificate rates 2 Jan

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finally gave in to the don't time the market and bought my latest step of cCD ladder at penfed. Rates slightly better than last month:

6 month 0.35%
1 yr 1.1%
2 yr 1.35%
3 yr 1.4%
4 yr 1.4%
5 yr 1.75%
7 yr 2.0%

Midfirst Direct has a 3% apy 10 year CD available. 10 years is a long time to tie up cash though certainly interest rates will go up sometime down the road.

https://www.midfirstdirect.com/Products/Internet-Banking-CD-Rates.aspx

The 3% 10 year rate wouldn't be all that bad of a deal if it weren't for the fact that they hit you with a 36 month penalty for early withdrawal, whether the interest was earned or not. That's the worst penalty I've ever seen on a bank CD.

I just opened a Barclays CD for 5 years at 2.25% with a 6 month early withdrawal penalty. That was about as good as I could find. I hope I don't need to keep it there for five years. A six month penalty for early withdrawal makes it fairly painless to move it to a higher yielding CD down the road should one be offered.

Hmm. Brokered CDs are 2.3% for 5 year and 3.3% for 10 year. Shop around

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sheesh. Bought a fair amount of 3 year certs from PenFed at 6.25% on 1/5/2007. Converted to the offered 4% cert 1/5/2010. Now 1.75% for a 5 year cert? Most of our PenFed money will be going into index funds and we'll start rebuilding our cash pile in Barclays or TIAA accounts paying about 1% - but without penalties for early withdrawal. We got 2% as points up front for making several of our recent hard money loans!

Back
Top Bottom