Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

penalities for being "highly" compensated
Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

penalities for being "highly" compensated

DH just found out because he made over 100K last year (just a little over) he is now classified as "highly compensated" by the company...as such, we are now restricted from contributing more than 10% to his 401K. This means we won't be able to contribute the full amount that is allowed to most individuals. It really stinks b/c it was just over 100K, and he likely will be under 100K this year.

Just posting to complain.

I guess that means more for the taxable account.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does he get access to the "highly compensated" dining room now?
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
DH just found out because he made over 100K last year (just a little over) he is now classified as "highly compensated" by the company...as such, we are now restricted from contributing more than 10% to his 401K. This means we won't be able to contribute the full amount that is allowed to most individuals. It really stinks b/c it was just over 100K, and he likely will be under 100K this year.

Just posting to complain.

I guess that means more for the taxable account.
Most likely his retirement plan was "top level tested" to make sure on an overall basis he can't contribute more than the guy trying to trade up his big screen TV for a bigger one each year.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think the "highly compensated" classification is tied to the max earnings taxable for SS - $97,500 in 2007, $102,000 for 2008. When you think about it, not a bad problem to have...
Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a highly compensated employee, I was capped at 4%. However, the company did offer a separate contribution plan and match for those of us in the overpaid pool. I don't recall it being all that good, though.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think the "highly compensated" classification is tied to the max earnings taxable for SS - $97,500 in 2007, $102,000 for 2008. When you think about it, not a bad problem to have...
That would not explain the lowering of the amount he can put into his 401K, though........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That would not explain the lowering of the amount he can put into his 401K, though........
I'm fuzzy on the details, but I recall it that I was capped based on a multiple of the average contribution percentage. So, if the average for the company was 2% then I could contribute 4%.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
The sad part is, I know a lot of people in that salary range that are broke.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #9

Has to do with the 401(k) not being a "safe harbor" plan, right? Until my old co went safe harbor, I was limited almost every year in what I could contribute due to the same HC rules. Two consecutive years I over contributed and got an unwelcome check back, right after filing my taxes. (Some of us are slow learners...).
Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #10

Wikipedia to the rescue: 401(k) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The average deferral percentage (ADP) of all HCEs, as a group, can be no more than 2% greater (or 150% of, whichever is less) than the NHCEs, as a group. This is known as the ADP test. When a plan fails the ADP test, it essentially has two options to come into compliance. It can have a return of excess done to the HCEs to bring their ADP to a lower, passing, level. Or it can process a "qualified non-elective contribution" (QNEC) to some or all of the NHCEs to raise their ADP to a passing level."
Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #11

Amazing how a simple explanation can clear up confusion...
Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Amazing how a simple explanation can clear up confusion...
Here's my interpretation. If you're a highly compensated then you're likely in management. As such, the IRS doesn't want you to make 401(k) decisions that benefit you at the expense of the wage slaves you're trying to oppress. So, you're capped at 2% above them, or 150% of what they contribute, whichever is less. than your employees contribute.

Unfortunately, a lot of non-executive types get caught in the highly compensated net as well. I'm just glad to be at a company now where there is no net.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Last year our CEO had just filed his taxes when he got a distribution from the 401(k) for overpayment because the plan had failed the ADP test. He was so livid that he would have to go back to his tax guy for the very small distribution to get an amended return filed. But did this cause him to fix the 401(k) plan with more matching? Absolutely not.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #14

Marquette, I get it...just poking a little fun at the rather liberal use of acronyms in the Wiki explanation.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Here's my interpretation. If you're a highly compensated then you're likely in management. As such, the IRS doesn't want you to make 401(k) decisions that benefit you at the expense of the wage slaves you're trying to oppress. So, you're capped at 2% above them, or 150% of what they contribute, whichever is less. than your employees contribute.

Unfortunately, a lot of non-executive types get caught in the highly compensated net as well. I'm just glad to be at a company now where there is no net.
NOT in management! Yep, one of those non-executive employees who makes a nice salary but put in overtime (yes, he get's paid OT, so thankful for that!).

I'm wondering if I should delay doing our taxes this year...I have a feeling they will be sending some of our $$ back from our 401K just in time to make us have to do an amendment...grrrrr.....

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Marquette, I get it...just poking a little fun at the rather liberal use of acronyms in the Wiki explanation.
I figured that you got it; I'm not sure that I do, though.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I figured that you got it; I'm not sure that I do, though.
Based on your translation above, I'd say you understand both the letter and the spirit of the law.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
DH just found out because he made over 100K last year (just a little over) he is now classified as "highly compensated" by the company...as such, we are now restricted from contributing more than 10% to his 401K.
This must be company specific. The company for which I work does not have such restriction. The amount is limited by what the law allows.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #19

I never heard of a limit. DW pulls in more than 100 a year and she can do the maximum.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #20

Virtually all working people the the US consider themselves "middle class". But some of us really do have higher incomes than others.
According the the Census Bureau, less than 10% of people who worked full time for "50 weeks or more" in 2006 made more than $100k.

So it's time for a pat on the back, he really is one of those "high earners".

PINC-05--Part 1
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote