Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Unless they have discontinued it, they have been giving a .25% bump on renewing CD's for a year or more.You would need to call a CSR to verify, but it would make this offer only a a .25 increase over your renewing CD.

This may or may not change how you look at it.

HTH
Interesting, I did call and they CSR quoted the same rate as were on the website.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
So anybody see the downside to borrowing mortgage money from Penfed at 3.875 (10 year mortgage) and than depositing it at 5%??
At one point in 2007 we had a PenFed car loan at 4.99% and a CD at 6%.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Interesting, I did call and they CSR quoted the same rate as were on the website.
Did you specifically ask about the 1/4% bump on a renewing CD (if memory serves, it may have had to be 3 yr or longer), or did you just ask the rate?
I renewed in March and it was applied automatically.I had called before renewing to verify.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I had a Penfed HEL at %4.99 at the same time as the 6% CD. Sadly I didn't invest it all in the CD most was put in high quality bank stocks like BofA in 2008...

Good info to know Dave I still have 6 weeks to decide so I'll keep the renewal bonus in mind, if things change. Really this has been the most productive day reading the ER forums in quite some time
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I did 100K for January for 10 years.

Pen Fed gave me a hard time and told me I could not participate because I diidn't have a CD expiring in Oct.. I didn't see any disclaimer to this fact and called back later and the next rep said the same thing to me. She put me on hold and after a while came back and said I was good to go but they are not publicly announcing it.

I don't know what that means when it's on their website. At least I'm locked in.
I called and they quoted the offer to me with the pertinent phrase "from an existing CD which matures in October." Since I don't have one I struck out. I mentioned that I had personal knowledge of some who did not meet that criteria so I was put on hold when she checked. Came back with the same answer......Best they would offer is the 7 yr 3.75 rate.

2fer
Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Did you specifically ask about the 1/4% bump on a renewing CD (if memory serves, it may have had to be 3 yr or longer), or did you just ask the rate?
I renewed in March and it was applied automatically.I had called before renewing to verify.
I had a couple other questions, so I called in and the 1/4% bonus for renewing a CD is NO LONGER in effect!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
I called and they quoted the offer to me with the pertinent phrase "from an existing CD which matures in October." Since I don't have one I struck out. I mentioned that I had personal knowledge of some who did not meet that criteria so I was put on hold when she checked. Came back with the same answer......Best they would offer is the 7 yr 3.75 rate.

2fer
Just apply for it online as I did. I do have cd's with them, just none maturing until 2012. If you have none at all, that might be the difference. Here is my confirmation I received via email.
Attached Files
File Type: txt penfed.txt (380 Bytes, 24 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post

2fer
Do as Dawg did and just apply on line.

No need to call you'll get an email with the conformation.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do have a CD maturing in October. I didn't get an invite but found the link on their site and signed up for the 10yr online for more than my maturing amount. Received a confirmation on the higher amount specifying to have funds in my share account for the Jan transaction date.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Link?

Where did you find the link on their site? Am not seeing it (even after logging in.)
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #31

Read the 1st few posts of the thread.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this dead? The link that I viewed this offer is not now on the certif. options page when I log in.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not have an account with PenFed yet. Is there any way to get on this offer in this situation?
2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2good View Post
I do not have an account with PenFed yet. Is there any way to get on this offer in this situation?
No, as I understand it you must have a certificate with them now in order to be eligible.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an account with PenFed and have several CD's with them but the promotion doesn't show up for me so I'm assuming that they either fixed the website or it's not showing up because I don't have a CD maturing in October (or whatever their criteria is). If I had the option, I'd definately take advantage of it.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Click on an existing reserved CD, if you have one, and you will be taken to the reservation webpage. That is the only way I can now get there.
hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #37

He who hesitates is lost. Like me.
I saw the offer when it was first pointed out, but I can no longer see it.

[sigh]
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I have an account with PenFed and have several CD's with them but the promotion doesn't show up for me so I'm assuming that they either fixed the website or it's not showing up because I don't have a CD maturing in October (or whatever their criteria is). If I had the option, I'd definately take advantage of it.
If you click on an existing CD (of any maturity) or click the + sign in the little square box, it will expand and show additional details and options...click on "certificate options" and you should see "Certificate Reservations" in an orange box to the right of the page.

As of awhile age $170M of the original $240M is still available.