PenFed - How to move money efficiently to Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab?

So I set it up and pulled $100K from PenFed to VG. Now the funds are showing as "Available to Trade", but not yet "Available to Withdraw". The infobubble says "Money recently added to your account by check or electronic bank transfer may not be available to withdraw from the account." Anyone know how long I'll have to wait before I can push it back out to a different account?

In Similar situation. Having a problem, setting up ACH transfer from Penfed to Vanguard.
What is weird, I can set up ACH from other banks/credit unions to Vanguard. No problem.
But whenever, I try Penfed to Vanguard, it is rejected.
Anyone else have this problem? Just curious.

Well, to answer my own question, I called VG today. It seems that when you transfer money in to them, either push or pull, the funds are immediately available for trading. However, there's a 10-ish day wait for being able to transfer the funds back out again. I never did find that documented anywhere, but they assure me it's in the fine print somewhere.

So I was hosed, as I need that money for settlement on a new house purchase. It would become available the same day as settlement, but that is too close for comfort for me. My solution, which they verified as being legit, was to withdraw $100K from my tIRA and transfer it to my bank. Then, when the original funds become available I can move them back into the tIRA. As long as it's done within 60 days of the withdrawal I won't incur any taxes.

I could have avoided all this by just paying for a wire transfer from PenFed to my bank, but then I'd have to turn in my cheap SOB card. Not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom