Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
I'd feel better if it were me and the rep showed me where it says that in the official pension documents. Verbal assurances, unfortunately, mean nothing....

You are correct. I also just found the same information in the member handbook available online, which makes me feel a lot better!
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 04:22 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
So I know this is a little after the fact, but I had my retirement planning session with a CAL STRS representative today. I double checked and yes, if a spouse dies at any time after you take your benefits, you revert to the “member only” option.

I probably asked the rep three times, to check and double check.
Panda Bear, sorry I confused the situation. I was wrong. You DO revert back to "member only" after the death of your spouse, according to CalSTRS website. Thanks for clarifying.