Join Early Retirement Today

Pension Deductions
Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pension Deductions

Looking at ER in about two years at age 57. Will I have SS and Medicare withheld from my non-cola'd pension check? DW and I (same age) intend to take our SS at 62. Any experts out there?
kenmck02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am definitely not an expert, but you will not have SS or Medicare withheld from your pension check. SS and Medicare are withheld from your earnings as an employee or self-employed person, not on your unearned income, pension.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, kenmck02.

I don't know about pensions in general, but I can tell you about mine. My annuity(pension) check from the federal government does not have SS or Medicare deductions.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not an expert on all pensions, but our pension check does not have SS or Medicare withheld. We get a pension from megacorp. You should be able to find out by talking to HR regarding your pension.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #5

SS and Mdicare taxes are taken from "earned" income - ie. paycheck income. Those are the so-called payroll taxes.

Pension income is usually only taxed as ordinary income. However if you contributed after tax money towards your pension then some of it will not be (income) taxed. The relative amount of income taxes you will owe depends on your plan and how much you contributed.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

OP,

In your place, I would ask your HR department about what gets deducted from your company's pensions. At least, they will be able to tell you who processes/pays your pension, and then you can call those people with your specific questions.

Congratulations on being so close to retirement!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmck02 View Post
Looking at ER in about two years at age 57. Will I have SS and Medicare withheld from my non-cola'd pension check? DW and I (same age) intend to take our SS at 62. Any experts out there?

The short answer is no, and the longer answer is depending on what state you living in they may not even be considered taxable income for your state. Ain't retirement grand
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The short answer is no, and the longer answer is depending on what state you living in they may not even be considered taxable income for your state. Ain't retirement grand
The key words there are "for your state".

So what that means is that your state may (or may not) tax your pension or at least give you a partial break. However the Feds won't be so kind and will consider it (mostly) as taxable income of which you'll owe taxes.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks to all responders
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks to all responders

The news looks good. I'll talk to HR. And thanks also for the link to the states' handling of pensions. I appears that Alabama exempts certain private defined benefit pensions. Maybe I'll get lucky on that end as well. Thanks again, Ken
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I fully understand the ordinary income aspect of the pension. What I wasn't certain about was whether SS kept getting their cut until one starting drawing benefits at 62 or 65 or 67, etc. Ken
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

The only tax I pay on my pension is federal.
Even federal will be reduced because some of the money I contributed was taxed at the federal level in the early years I worked for mega corp. Then later years were deducted before taxes.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #12

No SS or MC tax on pensions.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Will I have SS and Medicare withheld from my non-cola'd pension check? DW and I (same age) intend to take our SS at 62. Any experts out there?
If the strength of your ER planning rests on being able to take SS at 62 then you might want to reconsider. Or more specifically, the spouse with the longer longevity and lower earnings record might want the other spouse to reconsider.

A more flexible & survivable ER plan (with a higher margin of safety) would give you a bit more flexibility in deciding when to take SS.

Take a look at Bud Hebeler's articles on SS election:
Please title this page. SOCIAL SECURITY AT AGE 62?

When to start social security

http://www.analyzenow.com/Articles/S...%207-14-09.htm

http://www.analyzenow.com/Articles/S...0%205-9-02.pdf

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

SS payments at 62 are not included in our ER plan, in fact, they are not included in our ER plan at all, at any age. I simply included that info to explain we would be 7 years short of being able to draw SS in asking whether SS and Medicare obligations were still required of my pension. The decision to take SS at 62 will most likely come down to whether or not we feel at that time the program will survive in current form until we reach 65 or 67. Thanks, Ken
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The decision to take SS at 62 will most likely come down to whether or not we feel at that time the program will survive in current form until we reach 65 or 67. Thanks, Ken
Ken, I can sure relate to that factor in your decision. I will be 62 in June, and I am still considering taking SS at that time due to my uncertainties about the SS program, even though I had originally planned to take it at 66. I think I will play it by ear, and not take it right away but I could change my mind at any time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My thinking is, get all you can as soon as you can. They simply have to means test SS in the future - and probably Medicare, as well..
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ken, I can sure relate to that factor in your decision. I will be 62 in June, and I am still considering taking SS at that time due to my uncertainties about the SS program, even though I had originally planned to take it at 66. I think I will play it by ear, and not take it right away but I could change my mind at any time.
Not to take the thread off course, but as for the question of taking SS at either 62 or 66, it's a bit easier for somebody who is not married.

You don't have the worry (assuming you are the higher wage earner during wor*ing years) that your wife will have enough, assuming you pass first.

Also, you can't take advantage of the 50% spousal SS claim when the spouse is FRA age.

If I was single (and only responsible for myself) I would take it as soon as I could (and I can - I'm 62). However for the benefit of my wife, she will take it at 62, I'll claim against her for the 50% benefit when she turns 66 (we're within a couple months of age), and then I'll claim mine at age 70.

It all depends on your situation...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a useful thread. And thanks Nords for the great links. I'm reminded of the response that Mr. Bogle gave to an inquiry of the same topic. His answer was simple, and I've decided to follow his advice: If you don't need the SS money to live on, then wait until you do need it. He apparently started his at 70.

I've also followed this plan in my non-COLA'd mega-corp pension, although I will probably start taking it at 65 since that's when it hits its maximum payout.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I will be 62 in June, and I am still considering taking SS at that time due to my uncertainties about the SS program, even though I had originally planned to take it at 66. I think I will play it by ear, and not take it right away but I could change my mind at any time.
I'm only a couple of years behind you and having the same thoughts. Grab it while it's there, or wait and see if the wait is worth it.

For now, while I'm still working and we wouldn't use the income anyway I'm inclined to wait for a larger benefit later. But this is now, and that is then. Circumstances can change, sometimes abruptly.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm only a couple of years behind you and having the same thoughts. Grab it while it's there, or wait and see if the wait is worth it.
I firmly believe it's inevitable that SS will become a worse deal for folks in the future (one way or another, whether added means testing, increasing eligibility ages, reduced payments). But I also tend to believe that no one already collecting SS will be asked to share the pain. So yeah, I'd get in at the first chance to reduce the chances that "reforms" would screw me later.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote