Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pension lump sum payout .. taxable event?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pension lump sum payout .. taxable event?

I have two legacy pensions, which are frozen. They both offer either lump sum or monthly annuity options.
I am leaning towards lump su, for several reasons but, I want to understand how that is looked at tax-wise. Can the lump sum be rolled over into an IRA?

I've looked at the pensions documentation and haven't found any discussion of this. If the pensions can be rolled into tax-differed accounts (tIRA) that would be great.

Thx
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We did this about 10 years ago when DH received his. A quick Google search found this: https://rodgers-associates.com/newsl...ension-to-ira/

I'm sure there's something on the IRS website, but I'm ready for my afternoon nap and this article seemed to provide a nice summation.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #3

This is helpful. Thank you.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRS explanation page

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...-distributions
Old 12-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Can the lump sum be rolled over into an IRA?
Yes, we've done this twice over the years. Do it the same way as rolling a 401k to tIRA - do it as a trustee-to-trustee transfer if possible.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

OP doesn't mention the type of pension plan. Any Qualified plan, as defined by ERISA, can be rolled into an IRA with no tax event. Emphasis on "qualified" Most, but not all pensions are qualified.

If you already have taxed monies in the tIRA, it may be easier to keep track of the qualified rollover in the future as a separate Rollover IRA. If it is all pretax money in the tIRA, then go ahead and combine the two.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
OP doesn't mention the type of pension plan. Any Qualified plan, as defined by ERISA, can be rolled into an IRA with no tax event. Emphasis on "qualified" Most, but not all pensions are qualified.

If you already have taxed monies in the tIRA, it may be easier to keep track of the qualified rollover in the future as a separate Rollover IRA. If it is all pretax money in the tIRA, then go ahead and combine the two.
It may also be possible to roll the after-tax money separately to a Roth IRA and send the pre-tax money to a rollover (traditional IRA). I did this with my 401(k) in 2013.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #8

the pensions are all totally employer funded. I never contributed to them. So, I guess they would be considered pre-tax money a tIRA would work.
I'll dig deeper to find out if they are Qualified pensions.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

I took a lump sum from my pension in 2015 and rolled it directly into an IRA.
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote