Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pension News From the Pension Rights Center
Old 07-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pension News From the Pension Rights Center

Thought this might be interesting for some folks:

The newest addition to our Statistics pages reveals what some may consider a surprising fact: Nearly one-third of private-sector workers participating in retirement plans are in pension plans.

Although there’s been a shift to 401(k)-type retirement savings plans, pension plans remain popular because of the security they provide to workers and retirees. Most people with pension plans have guaranteed lifetime benefits that can’t be scaled back unless a plan runs out of money.

At a time when, according to a recent Gallup Poll, the top financial concern of American workers is running out of money in retirement, workers value this sense of certainty.

In fact, survey results from the National Institute on Retirement Security show that four out of five Americans have a favorable view of pensions and 71 percent believe that pensions do a better job of helping workers achieve a secure retirement than 401(k) plans.

Overall, 17 million private-sector workers are in pension plans. This figure rises to 31 million when state and local government workers are counted. Stated differently, of the 72 million workers fortunate enough to be in some kind of retirement plan, 43 percent of them are in pension plans providing secure income for life.

Visit our Statistics page to take a look at these and other statistics we have compiled about participation in workplace retirement plans.

Surprise! A lot of people are still in pension plans | Pension Rights Center
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gee, looks like to me less than 10 % of the population are in pension plans. Not exactly a staggering number.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Nearly one-third of private-sector workers participating in retirement plans are in pension plans.
Disclaimer: I have not read the report.

That 1/3 figure seems awfully high to me. As far as 4/5 employees favoring a pension plan; that doesn't surprise me. Folks have a hard time saving money and a pension plan makes it much easier for some folks to retire earlier than if they had to fund it themselves.