Pension - What would you do?

golfnut

Full time employment: Posting here.
Soon to be 55 yrs old and thinking about ER. Have a cash balance DB at work - balance about $125,000 (not much after 20+ years - shouldn't complain though since I realize DBs are rare in the private sector). Debating if I should roll it over into a TIRA (maybe the Wellesley fund) or take the NON- COLAED yearly stipend of approx $7800 (100% joint).

Some opinions or insights?

Thanks,

Check to see if there are any other benefits attached to the pension. One possibility is some form of medical insurance that you might lose rolling to a TIRA.

If there are no benefits linked to your pension other than the payments, the decision between taking the annuity or cashing out will depend a lot on your view of the future. One quick check is to see how much joint annuity you and your wife can buy for $125,000. Just go to Vanguard and get a quote. The insurance company (annuity underwriter) is likely a similar or better credit than your employer. Another approach is to realize that if you believe in Firecalc and the 4% rule, your $125,000 should give you $5000 annually, fully indexed for inflation. But IMO there is a lot of Kentucky windage in this figure. If you are worried about inflation you can discover what sort of indexed joint annuity you and your wife might buy for the $125,000. Lastly, I think TIPS are about 2 3/8 real now, so TIPS should give you a little less than $3000 per year, and you or your heirs will keep the inflation indexed principle.

A lot depends on your need for current cash, your ability or lack thereof to delay SS payments, and maybe most of all your expectations for inflation rates going forward.

Ha

I love having a pension of about the same size, though mine is from the federal government so there is minimal risk of default. Is your company stable?

I guess the PBGC would step in if there was a problem, but I wouldn't want to have to hassle with that so I think that is a factor to consider as well.

It appears that the $7,800 is in the ballpark for an annuity, however interest rates are at all time lows. VWINX would currently kick off a little over 5K with no future income guarantee but could produce long term gains and may stay up with inflation. Take your pick.:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom