Percentage of income for housing

I agree with NoDak that moving from where he is to Mandan will have a much better climate. Mandan/Bismark area has the Missouri river which gives some recreational opportunities. If one were to stay in NoDak it is a nice area.

And, if he wants to bug out for the south for part of the winter it is much easier to leave an apartment than it is to leave a home.

Sell.

The thought of moving my family there for 3-4 years wasn't something I wanted us to experience.
I like the way you phrased that-- I notice there's no mention of them being willing or interested, let alone thinking, of moving there with you.

"Bye, honey, have a good tour! Write us when your ink thaws out!"

The average family makes about 50k so they should not spend more than 32% on all housing costs. The percent changes a little with income but that gives you a ballpark number. Nodak I found this very helpful be sure to click on the Categories
Spending Plan Online Calculator

Neat link. I've often thought there is no shortage of online tools to help you track your spending, but a real shortage on the issue of how much you "should" spend. This is the first I've seen that goes to that question.

I assume the ratios are for the "average family" from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (same as Lars post). The BLS has much more detailed data.

I'd like to see a site that asks for a little demographic information (single, 28, female, renting, plans to spend $2,000 per month after taxes and saving) then provides a budget that represents the average spending of other people just like you. The user can override any item with her actual plan, and all the remaining defaults will adjust automatically.

The closest place I've got to that kind of winter is Fargo, by watching the movie... Brrr..

Neat link. I've often thought there is no shortage of online tools to help you track your spending, but a real shortage on the issue of how much you "should" spend. This is the first I've seen that goes to that question.

I assume the ratios are for the "average family" from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (same as Lars post). The BLS has much more detailed data.

I'd like to see a site that asks for a little demographic information (single, 28, female, renting, plans to spend $2,000 per month after taxes and saving) then provides a budget that represents the average spending of other people just like you. The user can override any item with her actual plan, and all the remaining defaults will adjust automatically.

Here is another one

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com

And, if he wants to bug out for the south for part of the winter it is much easier to leave an apartment than it is to leave a home.

Sell.
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of. Spending some winter time in the southwest would be fun. Leaving a house unoccupied in ND in the winter is risky, one has to get someone else to keep an eye on the place. If the heat goes out and pipes freeze severe damage can happen in a matter of hours.

The average family makes about 50k so they should not spend more than 32% on all housing costs. The percent changes a little with income but that gives you a ballpark number. Nodak I found this very helpful be sure to click on the Categories
Spending Plan Online Calculator
Thanks for the link, I just got around to checking it out. Feel much better about the rent price now.

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said, Nodak, but I want to congratulate you for being proactive and finding a solution to your remote, cold, comparatively lonely and expensive location, despite it being your home for nearly all of your life.

Congrats on contemplating the big leap to rent in the new town. It will hopefully be a great adventure and give you lots of opportunities to socialize, catch up with family, and for goodness sakes get the heck out of there when it is cold! :)

I'm with everyone else here Nodak, go be with your family and if renting becomes a problem then you can buy in the new town.

Have fun!

Ha

Many thanks to all of you for your input. This is something I've been thinking about for a long time and today decided to go for it, I put a deposit on the apartment. Now I've got lots of work to do on the logistics.

The closest place I've got to that kind of winter is Fargo, by watching the movie... Brrr..
Those lonely foggy road scenes were filmed about 10 miles from my house. I've driven the road often; it gives you a good idea of how empty this area is.

Those lonely foggy road scenes were filmed about 10 miles from my house. I've driven the road often; it gives you a good idea of how empty this area is.

What the movie didn't communicate is how the winter wind sucks the life right out of you.

Kudos on making the leap, Nodak. You are most definitely doing the right thing. I was starting to get a little depressed with all this talk of cold, desolation, blustery winds, "Fargo", etc. as winter is right around the corner for us. I hate it when the alarm goes off and it is dark. Last year just about did me in as we had bitter cold and vast amounts of snow almost every day. When I retire I will either move south once and for all or at the very least be a snowbird.

Kudos on making the leap, Nodak. You are most definitely doing the right thing. I was starting to get a little depressed with all this talk of cold, desolation, blustery winds, "Fargo", etc. as winter is right around the corner for us. I hate it when the alarm goes off and it is dark. Last year just about did me in as we had bitter cold and vast amounts of snow almost every day. When I retire I will either move south once and for all or at the very least be a snowbird.
One thing I will NEVER miss is getting up at 5:00am and driving the 18 miles to Cavalier Air Force Station in the dark and cold.

Back
Top Bottom