Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

There is a point in retirement where a new 30-year fixed cash-out mortgage starts to look pretty good (especially with interest rates being so low), since you can use all the proceeds for whatever you want now, and there's no chance you'll ever pay it off in your lifetime. For seniors, it's almost like a reverse mortgage except for they make you take all the money now.
Except you don't have to pay back a reverse mortgage until you die of sell the house. Regular mortgages are paid monthly and would be a "drag" on your monthly cash flow. Many people use undrawn home equity loans for possible emergencies. Probably more flexible?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 05:52 AM   #62

I just like having one less thing to worry about, that would be my overall deciding factor.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:15 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With substantial equity, a standby HELOC is good to keep in place.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I just like a peace of mind in my retirement. I don't want to think about watching a calendar in order to pay any house or car payment on time. When a bill hits the mailbox, I pay it online immediately and toss the paper away. I seldom even pay that close of attention to my cash balances--as there's enough funds there to cover my expenses.
Is your peace of mind affected by paying insurance, taxes, etc?

Almost all bills can be paid automatically these days - automatically withdrawn each month from your checking/savings account, even if your accounts are with other banks.

Instant peace of mind while retaining all of your liquidity.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Is your peace of mind affected by paying insurance, taxes, etc?

Almost all bills can be paid automatically these days - automatically withdrawn each month from your checking/savings account, even if your accounts are with other banks.

Instant peace of mind while retaining all of your liquidity.

+1
Liquid assets give me peace of mind. We have a lot of equity in our home but still have a mortgage and small HELOC for about 1/3 of the value of it. Could pay both off from assets at any time, but we prefer the liquidity and payments are not a large percentage of our spending.

This is truly a YMMV issue with no "right" answer. Some of us like to have more assets and some of us like to reduce or eliminate debt.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post

Really makes no difference (except the way it's handled) with a Roth or just taking the money - same calculation. You will still owe the taxes on what you take (assuming you're not at zero tax).

)

Thanks for thoughtfully responding to my questions, Koolau. If we do pay it off from deferred funds, regardless, it makes sense to wait until after FIRE when we'll be in a lower tax bracket. Or maybe we'd sell and downsize, which is another way to eliminate a mortgage. I had not considered RMDs at all as a factor in paying off the mortgage but, of course, reducing the RMDs through paying off the mortgage would indeed be a major incentive, just as it is with Roth conversions.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

you can't spend the living room . whether a house is worth 1 million dollars or 100k is irrelevant as long as you consume it yourself .

i never count a house for anything except when i would want to feel good about total net worth .

it is an expense like any other bill until the day comes it is sold .

don't forget safe withdrawal rates assume value can be spent down to a dollar at the end of 30 years .

the mortgage is an expense to cash flow .

a senior who goes from a 3 bedroom apartment when the family moves out to a 1 bedroom can see even better cash flow than that owner
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
don't forget safe withdrawal rates assume value can be spent down to a dollar at the end of 30 years .
I think this may be key in the argument about how to view home ownership. Technically it's part of net worth, but realistically it's not part of invested assets for purposes of determining SWR. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grapple with this question quite a bit. In the end, at this point in my life (plan is to FIRE in 2024) anything I put into the house I view as an alternative to a savings account. One reduces the interest that I pay and the other pays me very little interest. My plan is to significantly downsize in retirement to a lower COL area, so much of this (less the cost of the new house) will come back to me and be added to my nest egg.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote