Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Personal Cap app and service
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Personal Cap app and service

Anyone try it?

Aggregates your accounts into a free app.

They dangle the carrot of free financial advice once you link accounts with total assets of $100k.

So what is their angle? Not seeing advertising in the app. But they clearly want the eyeballs od the well off.

I avoided services like mint.com because of wariness about entering account login info, though I do it for quicken and turbotax.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Oh it's personalcapital.com
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Fidelity's FULLVIEW feature. Very nice.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

I haven't tried this app or others like it. Security fears keep me from giving unknown apps my account information. Who knows what their security policies are and how well they execute on them.

One of these days, I'll try mint.com since it is widely used and their security policies have been scrutinized a lot.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #5

Since I'm leery of giving out my account credentials to anyone, but still want to have a consolidated view, I wrote a program that scrapes all my financial sites and puts all the data in a unified format into a spreadsheet for me.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #6

Morningstar portfolio works well for me. Doesnt need account information - just input changes manually.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The Personal Capital dashboard is a very good depiction of your Investment and Cash Flow situation. The Asset Allocation view gives a nice breakdown with good detail. I've found it gives a useful, overall picture of my finances. I tried similar features on the Fidelity and USAA sites, but they weren't quite as comprehensive. To be fair, it's been a while since trying both Fidelity and USAA, so they may have added more capabilities.

I listened to the Personal Capital pitch for managing my investments, politely declined and have not gotten any pressure or selling since.

To use any of these sites you must be willing to enter the info needed for the service to access your accounts and update the info. All in all it's been a good experience for me.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #8

I recently loaded Likeassets. I like the way it consolidates my account information. But, it is not reporting everything correctly. I am working with them and hope they can determine why the reporting is not correct. They have identified one problem which resulted from a reverse stock split. The other problem(s) have not been identified yet.

For the parts that I believe are reporting correctly, the tool does a nice job of consolidating information. It takes the Yodlee information to another level but does not replace Yodlee. If I had to choose between the two tools, I would select Yodlee. I am hoping that LA gets it right or I might move to one of the other tools.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't want to get the sales pitch call so I don't use their service. I do use mint and their investment tab is pretty mediocre.

I recently set up a google spreadsheet which will do 20 minute delay tickers "=googlefinance(ticker)" and I really like the way I can use that to summarize my info. I use mint to monitor my total shares held (accounting for ongoing 401(k) contributions and re-invested dividends) and manually adjust my spreadsheet. They then have a decent list of characteristics to monitor, like ytd return, 52 week return, etc.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I use Quicken and Vanguard Portfolio Watch. Basic but sufficient for my needs and I don't care to give my account access details out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've been using Quicken Essentials for the Mac. So the software is offline. Yet you need to create an account for Quicken or Intuit connect which is where you enter all the login details, so that it can pull down all the data for you.

So there doesn't seem to be a truly offline software for aggregating all your different accounts.

The spreadsheet idea is good, so you don't directly enter your accounts. But you have to update and reconcile all the DRIP and cap gains distributions transactions. Very tedious manual process to update the number of shares.

So I guess it's a fight between convenience and privacy.

One thing I don't like about Quicken though is that it uses projected cash balance rather than the actual cash balance in your checking and savings as part of your total net worth calculation.

In my case, it's overestimating my cash by like 40-50%. Really stupid, because it reads the qfx files that I download from my credit union, which is not in Quicken's list of institutions from which it downloads account data and it correctly shows the online or actual balances.

Yet it chooses to come up with a projected balance for those accounts and use them in the net worth total.

That is why I was looking for alternatives.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
.....One thing I don't like about Quicken though is that it uses projected cash balance rather than the actual cash balance in your checking and savings as part of your total net worth calculation.....
You can opt to use actual cash balances rather than projected cash balances in the net worth on the menu bar.

Click on the customize "star" in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar. In the Accounts window that opens, click on Options in the bottom left hand corner. I'm guessing that when you do that there will be a check next to "Show ending balance in Account Bar" - change it to "Show net worth in Account Bar" and then click on Done in the lower right hand corner of the Accounts window. Your Account Bar should then show current balances rather than projected balances.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Actually, it's Quicken Essentials for the Mac. Seems to be a different program.

Accounts Summary lists the balances of each account and has a Net Worth at the bottom but no way to configure them.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
I don't want to get the sales pitch call so I don't use their service. I do use mint and their investment tab is pretty mediocre.

I recently set up a google spreadsheet which will do 20 minute delay tickers "=googlefinance(ticker)" and I really like the way I can use that to summarize my info. I use mint to monitor my total shares held (accounting for ongoing 401(k) contributions and re-invested dividends) and manually adjust my spreadsheet. They then have a decent list of characteristics to monitor, like ytd return, 52 week return, etc.
I set up a spreadsheet on Google Drive after reading this post. I will have to manually adjust changes in the number of shares but that shouldn't be too bad.

That's the tradeoff for not having to store your login credentials with a third party.

I also updated my other accounts on my Vanguard account and they calculate my overall AA pretty quick, into a nice pie chart.

What would be nice is if there's a way to chart my totals or total net worth over time.

I'm wondering if setting up a portfolio on Google or Yahoo Finance might have such charting.

Otherwise, I see more iPad apps, like Wikinvest Portfolio HD, which also requires setting up an account and storing all your login data with it.

Another free one is Real-time Stock Tracker, which sees to be overall for stock tracking but also has portfolio features. This one may be more like entering data manually rather than have data pulled down from your accounts.

Edit -- Okay Google Finance does track your portfolio prices and you can compare the chart against the S&P and other indices over time. Only downside is that you have to store it on your Google account, which means they can data mine the investments you have and so on.

I'm more leery of a company like Google, which will sell you out to advertisers, than maybe Yahoo. There is no app, so you have to view in the iPad browser. Hmm ...
Old 05-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard iPad app now charts your total balance, which includes accounts outside of VG, if you enter all the symbols and shares manually.

It also shows some charts of asset allocation analysis, like your international equity allocation and so on.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I use Fidelity's FULLVIEW feature. Very nice.
Same here and I print out a hard copy at month end for my records.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Vanguard iPad app now charts your total balance, which includes accounts outside of VG, if you enter all the symbols and shares manually.

It also shows some charts of asset allocation analysis, like your international equity allocation and so on.
Vanguard has always had their Portfolio Watch tool on their web site and one could always enter outside holdings. However, ....
the Portfolio Watch tool is rather flaky. For example, today it is telling me that we have 91% of our stocks in US equities and a further 87% in foreign equities.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Vanguard has always had their Portfolio Watch tool on their web site and one could always enter outside holdings. However, ....
the Portfolio Watch tool is rather flaky. For example, today it is telling me that we have 91% of our stocks in US equities and a further 87% in foreign equities.

That settles it!

I'm transferring all my accounts to Vanguard to get the immediate 78% return.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote