Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your personality type?
Analysts - INTJ 106 47.53%
Analysts - INTP 17 7.62%
Analysts - ENTJ 12 5.38%
Analysts - ENTP 5 2.24%
Diplomats - INFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - INFP 13 5.83%
Diplomats - ENFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - ENFP 4 1.79%
Sentinels - ISTJ 28 12.56%
Sentinels - ISFJ 5 2.24%
Sentinels - ESTJ 3 1.35%
Sentinels - ESFJ 1 0.45%
Explorers - ISTP 8 3.59%
Explorers - ISFP 3 1.35%
Explorers - ESTP 1 0.45%
Explorers - ESFP 1 0.45%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Personality Types
Old 10-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personality Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathFree;

INTJ strengths are: imaginative and strategic thinkers, ambitious, confident, independent, logical, persistent and determined, open minded and jack of all trades. I think these are great traits for early retirement.

Just to be fair, weaknesses are: arrogance, judgmental, overly analytic, a dislike of structured environments, and clueless in romance.

i don't need to take the test, but i do need to find where in my house you put the camera's.

Actually, turns out i'm ENTJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, not always engineers or math majors. I'm certainly not, retired law enforcement and the first time around I flunked algebra I in high school. (Cracking a book might have helped.) But what I see consistently on the board is either no debt or low debt in relation to one's resources.
Good point. I have an old book on how to live frugally, written by a guy who used to deal in antiques and settle estates, and he was always surprised at how fast the heirs could make $100K disappear on purchases like vacations and luxury goods.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
My intense dislike of structured environments motivated me to persistently analyze the possibility of a strategic plan for the ER that I had imagined.
+3 INTJ here. Was tested at megacorp during one of our week long management workshops. I was always made leader of our sub-group. Boy did I hate those things.
Samething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

The trend in this poll that screams out to me is the overwhelming dominance of Introverts, 85% (63/74) are I's. It suggests to me that extroverted folks may enjoy the work place and or need the social contact it provides and they may be less anxious to escape it.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #45

The first time I was given the Meyers Brigg test was when I was working for a small engineering corp. The owner/president's wife was a psychologist - so this was a way for him to throw her some paying work - test his employees. It had soooooo many questions rephrasing the same thing over and over.

I was so frustrated by the test because I felt the answers weren't black and white - I wanted to answer "it depends" to so many of them. I still want to do this - even on dumbed down versions of this test - like the one linked in the OP.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
The trend in this poll that screams out to me is the overwhelming dominance of Introverts, 85% (63/74) are I's. It suggests to me that extroverted folks may enjoy the work place and or need the social contact it provides and they may be less anxious to escape it.
It suggests to me extroverted folks don't like staring at anonymous screens and typing on a keyboard taking on-line tests, like I do

INTJ again. Used to test INTP quite consistently, J/P is only 7% preference though.

The turbulent thing is new to me. I wish I was more "assertive" though, used to be I think too. My professional training shifted it I guess.

50% so far in this poll while statistically speaking that type is 0.8% of the population. INTP is 11% here and only 3% in the population, so a bit likewise.

I guess this explains why I like this forum so much and find it quite unique.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post

It was my experience at MegaCorp with Meyers-Briggs and a similar Social Skills tool that when we were told to use these tools to better understand our coworkers to become more productive, the extroverts took it upon themselves to try to change us into extroverts

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #48

I am revealed as an ISFP on the MB scale.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have always tested as INTJ, except once when I was interviewing for job for which I knew they were looking for "people people". Didn't end up getting the job, which was probably a good thing.
uncaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #50

Do we have the distribution number for that overall population? Otherwise the poll totals don't have a benchmark.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Do we have the distribution number for that overall population? Otherwise the poll totals don't have a benchmark.
This link was in an earlier post, it has the distribution breakdown from several studies in table format. INTJ is ~1% of world population per the tables.

Is There a Retire Early Personality Type?
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

I found out I was personality typed with Robin Williams and Carol Burnett.
I'll settle for that.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #53

Been quite a while since I last took such a test - I think the last time I did, the results were INTJ. Results just now say ISTJ, although I was near the mid-point on the N/S category.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #54

Entj - don't really fit the mold but never was a fan of categorizing either. Retired early at 58 - 5 years now (w/o the good fortune of a megacorp/govt pension).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #55

Being the packrat I am, I still have the original test taken some 30 yrs ago at megacorp. It wasn't the MB, but something called the DiSC system by William Marston, Personality Profile System. It's still around, https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/

I found a couple of online versions

DISC Personality Testing

HG - Free DISC Personality Test
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm an ISTJ and have always tested that way. Fortunately, I always held the kinds of jobs listed on the career section of the linked test. I liked the reading about parenting styles. That sounds like the way I parent. Lucky for me, I seem to have a similarly-wired kid. However, I do often forget about positive praise, so it's nice to have that reminder. DH is an ENTJ. Apparently, we aren't that compatible, but we get along fine.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Personality Types
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #57

Personality Types

ISTP here, according to the linked test. I've taken variations of this quiz numerous times over the years, and only the 'I' portion of the assessment remains consistent.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #58

INTJ or ISTJ for me, usually INTJ. Kind of fits well with me being an engineer.

My experience with the use of the test at corp was just to try and make us realize that people view and think about things differently.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #59

I've just posted a complementary thread on the anti-introvert bias regarding retirees:

ER: Revenge of the Introverts - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #60

Interesting. Yesterday I was INTJ. Today I'm ISTJ. Dunno what I did different.