Join Early Retirement Today

Ph.D in Financial Planning
Old 11-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Ph.D in Financial Planning

This time, all eyes are on Texas Tech University.

Program directors of colleges and universities with financial planning degree programs will be watching the state university in Lubbock closely as it prepares to become the first school in the country to offer a Ph.D. program in financial planning next year.

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...rticleId=56343

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ph.D in Financial Planning
Old 11-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

What's next? A Ph.D in sheep shearing? Or fortune telling?
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Pot head Doctorate...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

i got a phd. pretty huge di%k

mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Financial Planning Class 501: Indexing
502: Costs Matter....

-CC
Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

bs -- self explanatory
ms -- more of same
phd -- piled higher and deeper
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Ironic: If it requires a doctorate, by definition you have missed the required premise on how to run your affairs within the bounds of simplicity and common sense. Kinda like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle as it applies to financial planning. I would expect some folks put way to much energy into an equation that merely requires a few sound decisions and then disciplined patience to allow the result. 8)

And for you physics buffs, here is the home version without the cyclotron:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-uncertainty/

Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

To me a PhD is more about independent research. So you can do the course work for a CFP designation in about a year or so. That's typical of course work for a science PhD, too. Then you do your independent research. Where do you think those Fama & French research articles come from? What about the Black-Scholes equation? How about the Sharpe ratio?

In the end, I guess obtaining a PhD in FP may only help you get a job as an assistant professor somewhere.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:41 AM   #9

I think too many of you are confusing this with a PhD in Finance which it is not. Almost all areas of study have PhD level issues and topics. I can assure you that as a CPA and having worked with some Accounting PhDs that there is little common between regular GAAP and the research that takes place in Accounting PhD programs.

Financial planning does have some very technical and complex issues. This becomes even more true when you are dealing with ultra high net worth situations. I'm guessing that this program leans more toward a focus of the law than on pure financial issues.

Just a hunch

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
I think too many of you are confusing this with a PhD in Finance which it is not. Almost all areas of study have PhD level issues and topics. I can assure you that as a CPA and having worked with some Accounting PhDs that there is little common between regular GAAP and the research that takes place in Accounting PhD programs.

Financial planning does have some very technical and complex issues. This becomes even more true when you are dealing with ultra high net worth situations. I'm guessing that this program leans more toward a focus of the law than on pure financial issues.

Just a hunch

Agree.......wonder ho many current CFP's will take the plunge, or if it's going to be more grad students

I think if you got an MBA from University of Chicago, Kellogg, Tuft, Harvard, or one of those places you could migrate here instead of the PHD in finance way........

I guess we'll wait and see..........but if the slant is on the ultra-complex worlds of ultra high net worth individuals, which is a growing area, it might have some value. It's hard to find folks that know how to work at private banks like Northern Trust, CHase, and BOA.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
i got a phd. pretty huge di%k

Pretty huge dirk? Isn't that a Scottish dagger? I have a pretty big sword in my closet.
paradiseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #12

"It's hard to find folks that know how to work at private banks like Northern Trust, CHase, and BOA........."

It is? I uhhhhh know somebody (cough cough) who worked in "Wealth Management" ($25M+ NW) at one of the previously mentioned institutions.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote