Pick your top Vanguard fund for the year

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I figure we have enough Vanguard people on the board to support this thread. Somewhat along the same lines as the Vanguard investment letter (forgot the name), what is your choice/guess for the best fund this year?

My selection -

Vanguard Intl' Value Fund

Vanguard Capital Opportunity (VHCOX) and Vanguard Strategic Equity (VSEQX)

But I also like the Janus Orion (JORNX) and Janus Contrarian Fund (JSVAX)

Fidelity Contrafund, not a Vanguard fund but it is one of the few good ones available in my wife's 403b. Our only Vanguard fund is th Asset Allocation fund (VAAPX) which is our Roth. I don;t jump around, you can gain from that but you can lose too. Fund returns over time work if you hold them long enough.

Love REWahoo:
Posted by: REWahoo! Posted on: January 20, 2006, 05:38:42 PM
Insert Quote
Let's all hope it isn"t Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX)

Ain't that the truth. Could happen in 07.

REWahoo is trying to spoil the fun  :mad:.  I am keeping track of the predictions on an Excel spreadsheet and the winner will receieve:

1) if you are older - a box of prunes and a loaf of wheat bread
2) if you are younger - a copy of UM2's "How to attract Norwegian Widows"

I got out of Janus when the fund started to tank - year 2000.
Would never get back in since it turned out that they were just a bunch
of crooks (imho).
According to Bernstein, there are mutual fund companies that are just out to
make money (Janus) and there are those that are INVESTMENT companies (Vanguard).

Vanguard's Emerging Markets, and yes, the Prime Money Market. ;) I also like their Small cap value, though some people criticize its makeup for holding mid-caps.

I also like Fidelity's Contrafund, but I'm not in it anymore. I moved the $ to Fidelity's REIT, because it worked in my total portfolio. Wanted to keep something at Fidelity.

Vanguard Capital Opportunity (VHCOX) should do well this year if growth funds dominate. Its YTD return through Jan 20th is +4.36%. It was 6.60% prior to Friday (Jan 20). Also Vanguard Global Equity (VHGEX) will continue do well if the dollar continues it fall.

bennevis said:
...According to Bernstein,  there are mutual fund companies that are just out to
make money (Janus) and there are those that are INVESTMENT companies (Vanguard).

They are all out there to make money. Some more than others.

The Vanguard efficient market true believers would say that you shouldn't even be asking the question :mad:

But I pick Emerging Markets ;)

MB

Vanguard Target Retirement 2015. Screw Mr Market - this is the year to take some money out and perhaps buy a kayak.

P.S. I picked 8500 on the DOW last year - I'm still an optimist - just can't help it.

May add some individual stocks in VG Broker account fer the wider woman. Something wild and frivolous like Southern Copper(the old So. Peru Co.) - or not.

heh heh heh

I agree with Spanky - Admiral Healtcare. Admiral Windsor II did pretty well too (I only have 4 funds).

arrete

unclemick2 said:
Vanguard Target Retirement 2015. Screw Mr Market - this is the year to take some money out and perhaps buy a kayak.
Copper(the old So. Peru Co.) - or not.

heh heh heh

Wow unclemick2, great minds think alike. The Vanguard 2015 is what I am recommending my wife transfer her 403b funds to when she retires in June 06. And money for kayaks is always a good idea.

() said:
Older or younger than WHAT?

Be very, very careful with your answer, grasshopper...;)

You!!!!!! :D

OK, I'll add strained carrots to the two other options.

Hey, I made that as a side dish just the other day. Pureed carrots with brown sugar and butter.

Mmmm, that and beer!!! We have to stop meeting like this.

Back to the initial Q~ Vanguard Total International Index (VGTSX) because it has the perfect mix of Euro, Pac and EM all in one neat package (62,26,12) and the .31 ER is dirt cheap for international equity funds IMHO. I have studied various international funds and no other one has met my requirements for this sector.

One flaw is that VGTSK still does not offer Admiral shares, but I'm hoping that this issue will change soon and bring the ER down to the .20 range.

Back
Top Bottom