Join Early Retirement Today

PIMCO swaps out
Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PIMCO swaps out

IRS says gains from swaps are not qualifing income. Big problem for those funds that use swaps like PIMCO's Real Return Commodity Funds (PCRDX PCRIX)

On 12/22 a Morningstar report says PIMCO says don't worry we'll shift to "structured notes" like some others (Janus?) offer.

On 12/28 another report, just to be on the "safe side" Morningstar has removed the fund from the Analyst's Pick List.

With about $11Bil in the fund (some of it mine) and 6 months to comply, we are in for some big changes. Yesterday's 12% tank and the near term crude surpluses, spell problems ahead.

DCA time?

http://news.morningstar.com/article/...fsection=Comm6

http://quicktake.morningstar.com/Fun...A&Symbol=PCRIX
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: PIMCO swaps out
Old 12-30-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you are getting unnecessarily worked up. There was no "tank" yesterday. Its just a cap gain distribution. PIMCO will just move to structured notes, which is what QRAAX uses.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think you are getting unnecessarily worked up.* There was no "tank" yesterday.* Its just a cap gain distribution.* PIMCO will just move to structured notes, which is what QRAAX uses.
Same thing happened on my prwcx the other day. Couldn't help but squirm a little when I saw that.*
Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #4

I've been through that a time or two this week - 8-10% one-day drops are scary - until you figure out it's just a CG distribution.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
On 12/28 another report, just to be on the "safe side" Morningstar has removed the fund from the Analyst's Pick List.
If I had more respect for M*, that would really concern me. M* is so important for publicity, that you've gotta figure that PIMCO would talk details to M*, showing them how they are perfectly prepared to make the transition if needed.
Maybe M* knows something we don't know.

Then again, me and my portfolio are really, really glad--no, ecstatic--that I never followed their advice. Though not as bad as in the past, they've been great about suggesting one buy high and sell low. Some of their commentary has been way offbase. Though getting better, they're still not concerned enough about expense ratios and internal transaction costs. And, most unfortunately, too much of their data is wrong.

I'll admit I cautiously use their data to help make decisions, but I'd take everything from M* with a grain of salt.
lazyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I think you are getting unnecessarily worked up. There was no "tank" yesterday. Its just a cap gain distribution. PIMCO will just move to structured notes, which is what QRAAX uses.
I hope you're right. I'll take a closer look tonight but it seems to me that last years dividend was bigger and the NAV didn't take that big of a hit.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:56 AM   #7

You guys were right. The capital gains were posted to the account about a week ago but the dividend didn't show up until last night.

Under 15 bucks a share is tempting. Might figure in well at rebalancing time next week.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

not cap gains but dividends on the 30th dec. Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote