Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Planning to die broke
Old 02-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Those with no pension, no employer-subsized health insurance, who are too young for Social Security or Medicare, have no working spouse, possibly special financial obligations like children or elderly parents or a family member with disabilities, and/or who don't have a huge (inflation/deflation-proof?) stash--or have mismanaged their portfolio in the past--are probably more interested in discussing financial details. Also, a lot of folks on this board work/worked in a technical field like finance or engineering and groove on geeking out. I think I'm OK financially, but I enjoy the financial discussions as much as the rest of it--maybe it's a (Myers-Briggs) T thing?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiogaRV
It is my belief that this money focus should be tempered a great deal.*
Mine, too, especially if that tempering uses large handfuls of cash!

You can't expect people to lighten up their focus on money when it's perceived to be a LACK of money. Such objectivity only comes from financial security, or perhaps from the rock-like faith of the Dalai Lama or Mother Theresa. In my case it's gonna require the handfuls of cash approach...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Mine, too, especially if that tempering uses large handfuls of cash!

You can't expect people to lighten up their focus on money when it's perceived to be a LACK of money.* Such objectivity only comes from financial security, or perhaps from the rock-like faith of the Dalai Lama or Mother Theresa.* In my case it's gonna require the handfuls of cash approach...
Agree 100%. Those that have a nice stash already can afford to be less concerned about ER than those that are still funding the nest egg. It all comes down to personal perception of how much is enough and theb getting to "enough".

My "enough" will be different from someone else. We all have our own needs and wants so our budgets will be different. I don't plan on dumpster diving or 'possum living so my "enough" will be higher that someone who is happy living that way.

Money is the key to FI so how can a discussion about FI not involve getting "enough?"

Old 02-14-2006, 06:37 PM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am retired, and did everything wrong.* No savings.* No retirement plan except for Social Security.

Yet, I am living in an RV and traveling all over the far west United States and Mexico.* I work on the road, writing about my travels.* Publishing stories about RV life.* Somehow, by this work, I earn enough to remain on the road.* Living a life that many others only dream about.

Focusing as this forum does, on early retirement and money, leaves out how to live.* The how part is much more difficult than just having the money.

I am not advocating foolishly bungling into retirement with insufficient resources.* What I am advocating is that although money is important, you should not pay too much for it.

There sometimes comes a point in time when you have to say, "What the hell!"* And take a leap of faith.* Believe in yourself completely, and the money will come.

George
TiogaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

There sometimes comes a point in time when you have to say, "What the hell!"* And take a leap of faith.* Believe in yourself completely, and the money will come.

George
I don't disagree, in your situation.* I presume you do not have a couple kids traveling along with you in the RV?* Kids that might want to go to college some day?*

There's not a day goes by I don't think about saying the hell with the JOB.* It's all I can do to turn into the parking garage at work in the morning after my hour commute, instead of continuing on down the road and playing hookey for a day or 20.* But, alas, there are certain obligations.* Granted, I'm getting closeer every day to being able to say adios.* Just don't want to have to come grovelling back later if I run out of cash...

Depending on my investing ability, my (and DW's) frugality, and a bit of luck, I could do it now if I really wanted to.* Couple more years will make success that much more probable.* Sometimes think the best thing that could happen is for the employer to can me.* That would force a few things....necessity is the mother of invention...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am not advocating foolishly bungling into retirement with insufficient resources.* What I am advocating is that although money is important, you should not pay too much for it.
(ณ ฟอำฟืกา รระยนำนหสมืเวหร* oops the Thai version was on...* )

I have to say I agree with you here, George..* No matter where we are, no matter what we have accomplished, (or not) we have made trade offs.*

We choose which those trade offs will be.

Best to you!

Akaisha,
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutearly
Kids that might want to go to college some day?
The majority of the board's posters would probably respond "And somehow that's your problem?!?"

But then I think about homeschooling cross-country in an RV with a teenager who's just looking for a crowd to hang with, and suddenly that parking garage doesn't seem so bad after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
ณ ฟอำฟืกา รระยนำนหสมืเวหร* oops the Thai version was on...
Well, now you or Lance is gonna have to translate for the rest of the class!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not advocating foolishly bungling into retirement with insufficient resources.
We already have someone advocating that strategy...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
We already have someone advocating that strategy...
Man, CFB, you are relentless and don't miss a beat.

I hate to have you for a real enema enemy.

MJ
Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Just recognizing everyones contributions...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am retired, and did everything wrong.* No savings.* No retirement plan except for Social Security.

Yet, I am living in an RV and traveling all over the far west United States and Mexico.* I work on the road, writing about my travels.* Publishing stories about RV life.* Somehow, by this work, I earn enough to remain on the road.* Living a life that many others only dream about.

Focusing as this forum does, on early retirement and money, leaves out how to live.* The how part is much more difficult than just having the money.

George
George, I think you hit the nail on the head, but it is a lot easier to do quantitative work and solve the money side of the equation than to figure out the living part. *I read your site just about every day to help with the living part and I still struggle with it. *But I am starting to learn. *

In part due to your experiences, I have been thinking more about what I really want out of life and what is lacking in my current daily routine. *I had some time to think about it on vacation and although I am not quite sure how to put it into action, I had an insight or two that I really want to find a way to incorporate into my life.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #52

George, You have figured it out. I still look forward to reading your blog. The "how-to" part is most important...

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #53

NORDS:
Quote:
ณ ฟอำฟืกา รระยนำนหสมืเวหร* oops the Thai version was on...
Well, now you or Lance is gonna have to translate for the rest of the class!
No Problem! The Translation is: 武热路,。即* 诶批欧* 诶呢阿丕*
Quote:
I read your site just about every day to help with the living part and I still struggle with it.* But I am starting to learn.
Yes, it really is the how, isn't it?* *

Best to you in your exciting search!

Akaisha
Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
No Problem! The Translation is: 武热路,。即* 诶批欧* 诶呢阿丕*
(*sigh*) You don't want me or TH reaching for our Hawaiian dictionaries!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Heck no. You remember the LAST thing i translated into hawaiian?

I think it came out to be something like "Thank you for this delicious airline meal. I didnt know chicken could be made that color."?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #56

When Billy and I visited Northeastern Thailand a couple of years back, we had full confidence in our Thai speaking abilities. We knew how to order food and never considered twice that it could be misunderstood...* *

We started simple - 2 plates of Phad Thai, and 2 Beer Changs*

We got the Phad Thai, but when we heard the blender going... and we were the only ones in the restaurant... we knew something was wrong!

We received 2 milkshakes instead...* *

Pretty funny.... the milkshakes were good, though!

Akaisha
Old 02-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
George, You have figured it out.* I still look forward to reading your blog.* The "how-to" part is most important...
George's point is a good one. For myself, I realized in the last month or so that I have been very obsessed with the "money" part of FIRE - and so busy with spreadsheets and calculations that I have not thought about the "how-to" or the What to do.

Sure, I have lots of great hobbies I want to pursue, travel, garden, etc. etc. But these are just general ideas. When I contemplate the reality of not getting up and going to work every day, I have a hard time imagining what I really will do. Can I really fill the days with these activities that until now have been squeezed into evenings weekends and a few vacations??

I don't do change well, so it is going to be interesting.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
When I contemplate the reality of not getting up and going to work every day, I have a hard time imagining what I really will do.* Can I really fill the days with these activities that until now have been squeezed into evenings weekends and a few vacations??
I don't get up with a schedule in my hand, either, and the time fills itself. I've been happily fulfilled these last couple weeks without even looking at the tax returns that I should be working on.

The short answer to your question is "Yes."

The longer answer is "You'll find more things that interest you than you ever imagined having enough time to do."

The default (or defeat, depending on your perspective) answer is: "You can always go get a job."

Old 02-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Or have a baby...this one keeps me pretty busy...
Old 02-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The default (or defeat, depending on your perspective) answer is:* "You can always go get a job."
Quote:
Or have a baby...this one keeps me pretty busy...

ARGH! Neither of these is an option! I have been informed to be prepared for a step-grandkid in the next couple years. I guess I could become a doting grandparent.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote