Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My friends that died in mid 60’s said they were glad they traveled during their younger years.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm firmly in the camp of taking advantage of the good health years (early 60's now). Hopefully that's a long time but since so much of what's discussed here is based on probabilities and best estimates, the odds are not in one's favor as the years pass by. It's not in my DNA to spend frivolously but I'll definitely stretch the budget at this stage of my life for something I value.
enjoyinglife102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

I am so glad I traveled a lot in my 40,50 and 60's . At some point travel losses it's luster so do it while you can or want to .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, since I sparked this dialog, I will ratchet it up a little and ask where your indulgences are, more specifically where you know there was no way in hell you would have indulged yourself before due to that frugal gene we all have. It will be relative and could be as simple as flying first class. I will start with a recent experience... I have always been a "buy a 2 - 3 yr old used car guy" to minimize the depreciation hit. None the less, I like cars and have justified buying some nicer cars accordingly (currently own a 2015 BMW 650 Grand Coupe I bought 3+ yrs ago... love it!). Nice cars are probably my biggest vice, yet I live significantly below my means. So fast forward to this past 7 days... I am in the BMW dealership shopping for a car for my wife (new X5) with plans to indulge myself in this $80K car. My frugal nature says "don't do it dumb ass!" but my "hey, you deserve this and can easily afford this" side say just do it if you really want it. I will ratchet it up 1 more level... saw the new M850 Coup on the showroom... absolutely beautiful. $125K... I actually thought about it for a minute...

Ok, so where are you just saying WTF, let;'s do it/buy it?!
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...8-a-90646.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...9-a-95591.html
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We are definitely trying to do more now while we can and very cognizant of the go go years.

It just happens that we still don’t exceed a somewhat conservative withdrawal rate at current higher portfolio levels.

We’re also considering giving heirs a major advance.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Honestly, could have kept WR at 4% this year
Overage will mostly consist of putting a decent deck on the house

This homebody gets a huge kick outta home improvements:
it's my "car I don't really need" indulgence
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
... It seems as though most here implement a much more more conservative strategy by targeting a WR in the 3% - 4% range based on initial projected expenses as opposed to say a planned more aggressive WR of 5% for the "go go years" and then say 3% for the "slow go years" and then perhaps 2% for the "won't go years" (i.e. only)...
We were never in the "go go years". We skipped straight to the "slow go" phase.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

NW, go go for us meant 2 trips a year for 2 weeks and a few 4 day ones. That’s nothing for some people.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I found out that one long trip each year was about all I could do. So, I have been alternating between a 2-month RV trek one year, with a 5 to 6-week international trip the next year.

I already have 2 homes. I guess I can blow more dough in a fancy car for each of us, but neither of us cares for one. My wife does not even care to drive.

So, I don't see how to spend 5% WR. But I do not see that as a problem.

WR is headed to 2.5% this year, unless the market tanks, and I lose 50%. Then, it will be 5% WR for me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:35 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We definitely planned to withdraw more in the early years, partly because SS and a pension will kick in later and partly because we are traveling a lot while we can. We planned on a 25% reduction in travel and entertainment at age 75 and 50% at 80. So far we are ahead of where we planned after 2.5 years of ER since the market has done so well.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In the past 6 years we have traveled more trying to take advantage of our good years.
Likewise for us in the past four years since ER.

-BB
Old 06-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #33
gone traveling

Children, and Grand Children would sure appreciate some financial help if you have extra $$ laying around...don't wait to spread it around, do it while you can see the results, and feel the love.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Our go-go years started about 6 years ago when I was 58. Spent a lot of dough and did a fair share of go-going since then. But we may have entered the slow-go phase. Now sold the snowbird condo and hunkering down for a while. No big trips planned - just a couple of week long ones. No big expenditures planned.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Children, and Grand Children would sure appreciate some financial help if you have extra $$ laying around...don't wait to spread it around, do it while you can see the results, and feel the love.
Just sold our rental to DD with a $50K discount to pay for down payment. Plan on giving other DD and DS each $50K for down payments on homes in the near future. Of course grandkids are spoiled on a daily basis, but they don't cost much (yet). But, these big (for us) gifts are pretty much the end of the bank of Mom and Dad. DS has a year of college left and then he's off the payroll. It will be nice to concentrate our expenses on only ourselves - if that ever actually happens.

I guess these are the go-go years for us, but we really don't go much of anywhere. A couple of short domestic vacations per year. We're early 60's and imagine our expenses will drop dramatically in our mid 60's and then again in our 70's. I haven't yet tried to forecast any of our expenses later in life, but will probably make that a project to work on soon.

I know my Dad was spending less than $20K per year during his 80's & 90's, but didn't need LTC.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
I guess these are the go-go years for us, but we really don't go much of anywhere. A couple of short domestic vacations per year. We're early 60's and imagine our expenses will drop dramatically in our mid 60's and then again in our 70's.
Why do you think that will happen? I am puzzled. I am sure you have a good reason for assuming this, but personally at age 71 I don't see that happening. Like you, I never engaged in a lot of expensive international travel.

Here's a chart covering my first 10 years of retirement:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (37.1 KB, 77 views)
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

W2R, I think expenses drop if you travel and go to a lot of events. Then you age and don’t go as much. Since you never did those things I can see why yours wouldn’t change. At times we have spent 10-15k/year traveling and 800/month on plays, festivals, eating out, etc. We aren’t now but have in the past.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Why do you think that will happen? I am puzzled. I am sure you have a good reason for assuming this, but personally at age 71 I don't see that happening during my first 10 years of retirement.

Here's a chart:
Mainly due to kids being completely off the payroll. A decent percentage of our current expenses involve paying for college, insurance, phone, food, etc. for our DS. We also do vacations with DS and his girlfriend which will stop once they get jobs, etc. I anticipate overall expenses going down a good 25% over the next two or three years and leveling off from there. I doubt we do much (if any) traveling in our 70's and project food expense will go down as we won't eat out as much. Once on Medicare, our medical expenses "might" go down, but they could go up too.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
W2R, I think expenses drop if you travel and go to a lot of events. Then you age and don’t go as much. Since you never did those things I can see why yours wouldn’t change. At times we have spent 10-15k/year traveling and 800/month on plays, festivals, eating out, etc. We aren’t now but have in the past.
Good point. PatrickA5 said he doesn't travel except domestically, but maybe he is spending thousands each year on plays and festivals. Or perhaps he has some other expense that he expects will drop out.

For me, eating out costs the same at age 70 as it did at age 60. I don't eat as much food, but I choose more expensive menu items because I like the luxury of being able to do that. Maybe that's just me.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... At times we have spent 10-15k/year traveling ...
We are still doing this, but don't know how long it will last.

The thread on "Overtourism" has been hitting home. I need to find more off-the-beaten-path places to go on my RV trek, but I am getting tired too of driving long distances.

It will not be long now before y'all see me post the purchase of two rocking chairs in the "Blow Dough" thread.

Oh wait! I already have that at the high-country boondocks home. I am all set.