Platinum Visa Card

Isn't Iceland pretty civilized as well?

But they do not speak English... :angel:

An article I read 1 or 2 years ago warned of the global housing bubble. It said that it was generally worse in English-speaking countries. Thought that was interesting, but did not know if that was true. Also, the article did not venture an explanation.

1) People check out your credit card? Whoda thunk it.

2) A platinum card is special? I just thought it was the latest gimmick from the credit union. They offered a Visa with 5% cash back on gas, 2% on groceries, 1.25% on everything else, and no annual fee, and that sounded good to us so we went for it. Not sure we even noticed what they called it. They could call it the Diamond Plutonium Moon Rock Card and we'd only care about the terms and goodies being offered. Then again, we never cared what our checks looked like, either (back in the days when we still used paper checks). Yet I've gathered some folks actually pay for checks with pretty pictures on them.

I truly upset that none of my friends were impressed when I wiped out my platinum card . Of course I'm just finding out now that they should have been impressed .

I truly upset that none of my friends were impressed when I wiped out my platinum card . Of course I'm just finding out now that they should have been impressed .
Lots of folks wiping out their credit cards these days... and their 401(k)s, their IRAs, their credit ratings, ...

I was so impressed with all the Platinum cards you all have, I decided to check. All 3 of our cards are platinum and I didn't even know it. 2 are cash back cards and I didn't pay for any of them. Oh well, I guess I'm doing better than I thought.

Jeb

I just got replacement Visa cards in the mail the other day and I've been upgraded to Platinum. Woo-hoo!!

So, I haven't been using the Visa for much of anything since I have a reward card that I've been racking points on, and the Visa has squat. When I called this morning to get the new cards activated I got transferred to a human being who wanted to know what it will take to get me to use the card more.
You could cut my interest rate, or offer me a cool reward program.

How about we do both?
They really cut the interest rate, not that I need that since I pay all my cards off every month, and they gave me a cash back deal that is no better than what I already have with other cards.

However, the interest rate cut is only good for 6 months. When I asked the sales rep why it wasn't permanent, she damn near had a fit trying to come up with something to say.
That's a good question! I'm not sure. Er, well it is so you can get through the holiday season...and, uh,...you can always call in six months and ask us then...
Sounds more like "[-]we really want to sucker you into running up a balance so we can suck the lifeblood out of you and make a little money off your cheap...[/-] because we love you?" She actually said at one point, that this was a wonderful gift they were giving me. It was a struggle to keep from laughing out loud, but I think a couple of times she could tell I was having fun with all of her malarkey.

Well, I'm off to the office supply place to use a coupon on a toner cartridge I need. I think I will whip out my platinum card just to see the cashier scrape and bow at my awesome platinum awesomness!

Well, I'm off to the office supply place to use a coupon on a toner cartridge I need. I think I will whip out my platinum card just to see the cashier scrape and bow at my awesome platinum awesomness!
If she begs you to marry her, don't say you weren't warned. :)

You folks are awesome - looked through our paltry collection of cards and they are all just plastic.

You folks are awesome - looked through our paltry collection of cards and they are all just plastic.
In reality, we have three cards -- I think two gold and one platinum but I'm not even sure -- but in reality, I only look for two things:

(1) No annual fee.
(2) The most generous points/miles/cash back offers for our spending patterns.

The color of the card and the interest rate don't concern me. Just show me the rewards and don't charge me to hold it...

American Express is sending us offers to become platinum members. I believe it is $300 a year but they will waive the fee for the first year--yay them!

IMHO if we got that card (as if!) and whipped it out and someone was impressed with it, it would say more about that person than about the card.

i think the only card these days that do get a gasp are the black amex's...hehe anyone? >:D

To the best of my knowledge a platinum CC is not actually made of platinum. I have a gold MC and do not believe that it is actually made of gold. Probably some kind of plastic. What next DIAMOND CC?

Mickeyd, they have that too! You know those folks in Dubai are always trying to stay one step ahead of ya! google diamond encrusted cc...!

My wife received an offer for the AMEX platinum the other day, but when we saw the $450 annual fee attached to it, we just shredded the whole thing... Sure the platinum card came with some extra benefits (like access to some airline lounges, etc...), but quite frankly it seemed to offer very little value for the price tag.

Its a different world. I have never even seen a platinum card before, I don't think many people have them at all here in NZ.

I see now every man and his dog can get them in the US, they certainly don't have any novelty factor for you.

Maybe our banks are starting to go down the same track as American ones - that's a worry.

My wife received an offer for the AMEX platinum the other day, but when we saw the $450 annual fee attached to it, we just shredded the whole thing... Sure the platinum card came with some extra benefits (like access to some airline lounges, etc...), but quite frankly it seemed to offer very little value for the price tag.

Look at the AMEX Platinum Cash Rebate Card from Costco- no annual fee, good cash rebate benefits- I use mine for everything I possibly can, pay it off every month and still get $600-$700 back every February. The rebate check has to be cashed at Costco, but you don't have to spend it there- althought I did buy a hot dog and a coke for $1.50 on the way out-must have been that rebate money burning a hole in my pocket:D

Its a different world. I have never even seen a platinum card before, I don't think many people have them at all here in NZ.

I see now every man and his dog can get them in the US, they certainly don't have any novelty factor for you.

Maybe our banks are starting to go down the same track as American ones - that's a worry.

Ayup. Our banks offer words that sound valuable. Much cheaper than actually providing value. Several of you kiwis have mentioned that platinum cards aren't common in NZ.. We Nortemericanos persist in ignoring the idea that NZ might be at all different than the USA. Wonder if NZ doesn't have many platinum cards due to some sort of tall poppy resistance. Really considered moving down to your country a while ago - decided it was too like Oregon, just with the seasons 180 degrees out. Then there was the fact that NZ didn't want anyone of my advanced age unless i wanted to invest heavily.

Just got yet another mail offer for a 0% platinum card from the bank who uses the numbers on either side of 4 as its name.

I, as every last one of you viewers well know, pay off the full balance each month so it does my no good.

I'm guessing most of my dear, dear fans and friends out there in ERF-land are inundated with these offers even more than I, Barbarus the Uncouth.

I was once offered a Titanium card. Whats with that:confused:

I was once offered a Titanium card. Whats with that:confused:
I'm holding out for a Uranium card. That I might apply for, just for the coolness factor. "I have a uranium card!"

I can see people avoiding me so they don't get cancer like Madame Curie...

And a plutonium card.... WOW!!

I'm holding out for a Uranium card. That I might apply for, just for the coolness factor. "I have a uranium card!"

I wonder if that is like the "uranus" card. For people who have money coming out the wazoo!

I have a platinum AmEx card in my desk drawer, sent to me last year...had completely forgotten about the dang thing until I read this thread. I popped into my office, and yup, there it was... never occurred to me to have the card activated or that a certain "cachet" was associated with it's use. Wow, an Okie cowgirl with a platinum AmEx....what the heck - hardware & feed stores....here I come!

Well I checked out my Visa and sure enough platinum. I don't think it means anything. It sounds like it's a different animal in New Zealand. Don't pay for it.

I can see people avoiding me so they don't get cancer like Madame Curie...

And a plutonium card.... WOW!!

Totally rad, dude. (physics joke)

The heavier the element the better, says I.

Back
Top Bottom