Please help with a Social Security ???

mhansen265

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am not sure where to post this, so I chose this thread.

I am going to retire January 2019 at 62 and 5 mos of age. If I work that first week of January, can I still start Social Security in January? Ive been searching for this answer all day! I hope someone here can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Sure you can take SS before you're fully retired. At a maximum earning of something like $14,500 (I think) your SS benefit will be reduced by half. So unless your earnings in that first week of January exceed that amount then working for that time will have zero effect on SS.

Oh, and I moved the thread to "Fire and Money".

^ What Walt said.

And be aware that if you want to receive your first SS check in January you need to apply a couple of months in advance.

What? Wait! Another w*rk refugee preparing to enter the Free Zone? Congratulations!!! It's waaay more fun over here. Welcome!

And I'm glad that some resident experts here were able to address your concern. I'm just here cheering folks on from the cheap seats. :dance: :greetings10:

I am going to retire January 2019 at 62 and 5 mos of age. If I work that first week of January, can I still start Social Security in January?

Just curious... 62 and 5 months is an unusual time to start Social Security benefits.

Is that because it's the first month you are eligible but won't be working?
Have you considered delaying the start of your benefits, or do you need the money immediately?
And if the latter, why are you retiring in January?

Just curious... 62 and 5 months is an unusual time to start Social Security benefits.

Is that because it's the first month you are eligible but won't be working?
Have you considered delaying the start of your benefits, or do you need the money immediately?
And if the latter, why are you retiring in January?

I work in a union manufacturing environment with a contract that expires in March (Vacation will take me to March 1st).

The new contract is not going to be better than previous one. The company eliminated retiree healthcare last contract, and replaced it with a Health Reimbursement Account based on years of service. I'm getting out while the getting is good!

My plan has always been to draw my social security early. I have a pension along with a decent retirement portfolio. We plan on traveling extensively as well as "Snow Birding" in the winter, so we want to have all of the funds available to us to enjoy the active years.

I'm getting out while the getting is good!
Got it!

My plan has always been to draw my social security early. I have a pension along with a decent retirement portfolio. We plan on traveling extensively as well as "Snow Birding" in the winter, so we want to have all of the funds available to us to enjoy the active years.
Okay. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom