Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you use for tax preparation?
TurboTax 87 60.42%
HR Block 21 14.58%
TaxAct 20 13.89%
Liberty Tax 0 0%
Tax Slayer 1 0.69%
Jackson Hewitt 0 0%
Professional Tax Preparer 5 3.47%
Don't do no stinking taxes 0 0%
pink pearl and number 2 2 1.39%
other - specify 8 5.56%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakowitzm View Post
+1 / Amen. My time is far more valuable than the discount.

As an aside, I've *never* filed electronically. Just a pet peeve of mine. Filing electronically saves the Government money, and as such, it should be free. (geez, I sound like a Sanders-guy.) So I print 'em out and send 'em in. I like the feel of paper and I trust the US postal system.

Also, I want the CD and to run everything locally. In general I don't fret over big brother and what's in the cloud... but I'm just more comfortable this way.
Back in early 2000's, I mailed a paper return in. Months later received a notice that I owed a penalty of underpayment of estimated taxes. Protested that they were incorrect as I had uneven income that year and according to Schedule 2210AL, did not owe any such penalty. Come to find out that they had no record of the 2210AL being filed......in the transcription of the paper info into the computer system, they "lost" it. First thing IRS does (after removing any checks/money) is to enter your tax info into the computer system. After that six months of back and forth hassle, I became a strong proponent of electronic filing. And with IRS budget cuts, I expect any manual processing to get worse.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #42

Every year there's a Slickdeals thread on H&R Block CDs where folks get different offers from them, down to around $5-10 for Deluxe (including fed and state e-file). I wait for that thread to get posted with the ISO and for others to verify that it's good then buy it from Block using that copy.

Been working great for a few years now. I also get a copy in the mail from them every year but don't get that good of a deal.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Back in early 2000's, I mailed a paper return in. Months later received a notice that I owed a penalty of underpayment of estimated taxes. Protested that they were incorrect as I had uneven income that year and according to Schedule 2210AL, did not owe any such penalty. Come to find out that they had no record of the 2210AL being filed......in the transcription of the paper info into the computer system, they "lost" it. First thing IRS does (after removing any checks/money) is to enter your tax info into the computer system. After that six months of back and forth hassle, I became a strong proponent of electronic filing. And with IRS budget cuts, I expect any manual processing to get worse.
BTW, I won the argument.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I vacillate between TurboTax and H&R Block. I get ticked off at TurboTax and then switch, etc. Inertia will probably keep me with TurboTax this year.

I tried to save money one yer by not downloading a second state version since i worked across the state line from where I lived. I thought I could do the simpler state in Excel. I am VERY computer-friendly and have been doing my own taxes (with software) for years. The form looked simple but had all kinds of "mini-worksheets" and other minefields and I royally screwed up. I threw myself on the mercy of a good CPA who helped straighten it out.

Our taxes include itemized deductions and investment results so the simplified versions won't work. This year I'll file as a widow, so that complicates it, too. Definitely need the software. Sometimes I swear they let the tax code get so complicated knowing that it was OK because people would buy software to handle it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakowitzm View Post
As an aside, I've *never* filed electronically. Just a pet peeve of mine. Filing electronically saves the Government money, and as such, it should be free. (geez, I sound like a Sanders-guy.) So I print 'em out and send 'em in. I like the feel of paper and I trust the US postal system.
I get free e-file when using turbotax - for the feds. So I e-file.
State costs to e-file... so I mail.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
...I tried to save money one yer by not downloading a second state version since i worked across the state line from where I lived. I thought I could do the simpler state in Excel. I am VERY computer-friendly and have been doing my own taxes (with software) for years. The form looked simple but had all kinds of "mini-worksheets" and other minefields and I royally screwed up. I threw myself on the mercy of a good CPA who helped straighten it out.

[/LEFT]
If I recall, you have MO as one state. No matter how easy Kansas is, the barking mad MO form for nonresident couples would create issues!

(And best wishes for you as this year closes. ....)
Old 11-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #47

I've used H&R block in the past but last year I switched to TT premier free from Fidelity.

Hopefully Fido offers it again this year if not I may go back to H&R block.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
If I recall, you have MO as one state. No matter how easy Kansas is, the barking mad MO form for nonresident couples would create issues!

(And best wishes for you as this year closes. ....)

Yes, it was KS that I thought I could do in Excel so I downloaded MO. Fortunately 2015 was the final year for dual state returns. We moved to MO last year and I'm retired so it's 100% MO.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #49

TurboTax for my personal return; H&R Block Business for a multi-state partnership return.

I don't like the HRB user interface, but now that I've mastered its quirks I can get the job done.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Been a fan of TT for many years. Of course I loved it when it was free at VG but now I am so familiar with it and have come to rely on it I don't mind paying a few bucks for it.

I must be a big shot now!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Was just shopping online for TT Premier... best deal I could find was $75 at Walmart... most other places were same as Intuit...$90. Has anybody found a better deal than $75 or should I wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wait if you can. Bargains always show up as Jan 1 approaches.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote