Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did 2019 Fed Tax refund increase? decrease? the same?
I've got more! I will going to Vegas. 78 38.42%
I've got less. I will be eating Ramen for dinner. 81 39.90%
The same. Life goes on as before. 44 21.67%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm at a rural firm, and I suspect the average taxpayers are wealthier than those going to AARP. May be wrong about that.
But the lack of understanding of tax implications for decisions is there.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Lover View Post
RK,

I just looked it up and you're correct (and thanks for correcting me). Although it appears there are more than a few definitions online, the one that looks most consistent is comparing the total tax to taxable income (not AGI, as I had thought).

NL

PS. That being said, I guess my comment about my taxes would have been better if I had ignored the effective tax rate calculations and simply said: Surprise! I thought I'd be paying more than 2017, but in fact it looks like it'll be a few dollars less.
i see but i wasn’t correcting you and apologies if that’s the way it came across.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #123
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
It may not be a much larger paycheck. Someone seeing a $1000 decrease in their tax refund, with a paycheck every two weeks, might see an additional $38 in each paycheck. But if their healthcare premium increased for 2018 that $38 bump would be reduced or wiped out. So let’s be conservative and say the taxpayer saw an extra $25 in each paycheck.

That $25 every two weeks is easily frittered away. Not necessarily a significant lifestyle adjustment.

Now it’s tax refund time, but the refund is $1000 lower than last year. That puts an unfortunate pinch on the people who use the income tax refund to pay real estate taxes / go on vacation / some other big purchase.

You need to remember that posters on this board are generally more knowledgeable about tax matters, more disciplined in money matters, and (had) higher income than most people in the U.S.
Sorry, you don't get to tell me what I have to do.

The preparer wasn't talking about one specific client - as you make up, but in general terms across many clients. Now if you wish to claim your made up example applies across most taxpayers, show me the data. Otherwise, I'll stick to my belief. Thank you.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i see but i wasn’t correcting you and apologies if that’s the way it came across.
No worries. I was just acknowledging that not everyone calculates it the same way. I took no offense and learned something new!
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Sharing with the group - using 2017 L63/L22 vs 2018 L15/L6

2017 2.21%
2018 3.69%
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #126

Just left the accountants office. The 20% deduction for being Self Employed (real estate) really helped. I ended with a $13,000 refund between State and Federal.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

just did my parents taxes; theirs went up due to the elimination of the personal exemption
Old 03-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

2018 Federal taxes - $0
2018 ID taxes - $573

Managed income for 2018 quite well.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

We had a larger refund and a lower tax burden than 2017 only because we bought a plug-in hybrid in 2018 (producing a $4500 tax credit). Absent that, our taxes would have went *up* in 2018, because the new tax laws made employer-reimbursed moving expenses taxable income (made even worse by the fact that DW has to pay self-employment taxes).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #130
Gone but not forgotten

Same as last year. $0.

And, even though we've filed tax returns every year to both Federal and State... we have not had to pay any taxes since the very early 1990's, right after we retired..

Yeah... I guess because we're basically poor, but it's the way our income was structured. This year, will be the first year we won't file, because we don't need to.... (age and income).

That will all end this coming year, as we'll finally be getting into those accounts with deferred interest. I'll take the 29 year State and Federal tax free run.

I think it's why they call us the "Lucky Few" Generation.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

It worked out well for us. I retired June 1st so our tax situation is unlike any before this year but I estimated based on 2017 tax laws and we ended up with a $2000 dollar refund. It was almost to the penny because of the change to the child tax credit that allows the full $2000 tax credit for incomes up to $200k for married filing jointly.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #132

Got Less votes surged ahead, 69 to 65. More Ramen eaters, here we come.

For those who don't pay taxes and/or who pay taxes in advance, did you pay more or less this year?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #133

My effectiveness fed tax rate increased by 1.5 % more than last year.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:40 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

I think our overall rate went down, but as I mentioned in another thread, our net between fed and state this year was $53 owed. I don't think we've ever been that close before!
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #135

We owe a huge amount this year, but since it's my first full year of ER I'm not sure I'm a valid data point in this poll. I grossly under-withheld and had to scramble at the end of last year to have extra taken out of DW's pension check so we withheld at least what we owed in taxes the previous year. With an inherited IRA RMD, an inherited annuity which I'm withdrawing over five years, some unexpected income, and a botched calculation of how much of a mutual fund I could sell for "free" at the end of the year, I owe more than I expected. I actually had more taxable income last year than in the last year of employment, although the IRA and annuity aren't really income in my view.

Also, a pet peeve of the day. Many stories on TV and on the internet, written by people who should know better, keep calling the refund a "return." Lowers their credibility, IMO.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #136

Our effective rate was the same. We got a 400+ back because did not take the full PTC on a monthly basis.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Finally got around to running my numbers through TurboTax. As expected, I owe money to Fed and State. More than last year too. Will bump up my estimated payments a little in 2019. Will probably owe a balance next year too as I have better overall cd rates. But that's ok.....I would rather owe than let the IRS hold my money for a tax refund.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Finished my taxes yesterday. I voted about the same. The main variable was the premium tax credit from the ACA. In total, I got more back but also paid more during the year (I don't estimate during the year, but just let the numbers reconcile at tax time) so pretty much a wash.

Overall, my taxes were uneventful (which is a good thing). With new laws, I did fall into the taking the standard deduction group. Which for 2019 give no financial incentive to give anything to charity . Oh well.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
...Overall, my taxes were uneventful (which is a good thing). With new laws, I did fall into the taking the standard deduction group. Which for 2019 give no financial incentive to give anything to charity . Oh well.
i would hope most if not all of us will continue to contribute to charity despite the potential loss of the deduction.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i would hope most if not all of us will continue to contribute to charity despite the potential loss of the deduction.
I hope so too. But makes me think charities will take a big hit overall.