Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I'm curious as to how you came up with this estimate.
It's just a ballpark figure. I'm estimating that 40% of my provincial taxes will go to healthcare and perhaps 5% of Federal taxes. $10,000 would cover it in my case because I have a very tax efficient structure and live in a province that does not charge healthcare premiums. Unlike Keith I am not counting anything for "sin" taxes since I am, of course, a saint!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
What I did was compare what we pay for liquor, wine and gas in our annual San Diego vacation, and then the Canadian prices with sin taxes applied.

Also Meadbh did not include Blue Cross (or equivalent) coverage for medical, dental, eyesglasses and drugs. If it covers all that and continues after retirement, then it is not what was asked for here.

Of course, travel health insurance is extra if any vacation time in the US is planned.
True, I did not make allowances for liquor, wine and gas. In my case gas would be the principal one, and most of it would be jet fuel. I did not include Blue Cross because my employer pays for that. After retirement I will self insure for dental, etc. I have a personal health insurance plan which enables me to charge healthcare expenses to my corporation, which means they will be tax deductible expenses as long as I keep the corporation active. Yes, I forgot to account for travel insurance. I now purchase a comprehensive policy through my corporation for $84 per year.

No, I'm not making this up!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I know nothing about birds, but I suggest that before you make any decisions you consider the following questions:

- Do these birds have EMPLOYMENT ASSOCIATED health coverage? Is there a WAITING TIME for watery-poo syndrome?

- Why should stinky-poo suffer because of chubby bird's CHOICE to be OBESE?

- Do you really think we would have a place like MAYO FOR BIRDIES if we covered ALL birds REGARDLESS of their ability to chirp?

Glad to be of assistance.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I am female, 40 years old, I was quoted $10,560 a year 5K deductible for just myself. I can't imagine what it might be like in 15 years!!! I had a couple health issues a couple years back and 2 surgeries and I guess that is what threw me into the high cost arena. I decided to keep working for the time being......
This is why our system is unsustainable.

The cost for health insurance is absolutly ridiculus. Not one american should have to declare bankruptsy or loose their house just because they get sick.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's just a ballpark figure. I'm estimating that 40% of my provincial taxes will go to healthcare and perhaps 5% of Federal taxes. $10,000 would cover it in my case because I have a very tax efficient structure and live in a province that does not charge healthcare premiums. Unlike Keith I am not counting anything for "sin" taxes since I am, of course, a saint!

That's why I asked. So it's your ballpark estimate contribution to the Canadian health system, but not your cost. If you were making 2x as much money your contribution would be higher, but the cost is the same.

As far as "saint" is concerned, I have only two words "yeah, right"
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I know nothing about birds, but I suggest that before you make any decisions you consider the following questions:

- Do these birds have EMPLOYMENT ASSOCIATED health coverage? Is there a WAITING TIME for watery-poo syndrome?

- Why should stinky-poo suffer because of chubby bird's CHOICE to be OBESE?

- Do you really think we would have a place like MAYO FOR BIRDIES if we covered ALL birds REGARDLESS of their ability to chirp?

Glad to be of assistance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Pretty good, Rich.

Wait until Martha realizes that she doesnt have two birds. She has four billion.

And they all have ridiculous expectations about their future care.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
Number of People : 2
Ages 57 and 55
Annual premium $6030
Dedeuctable: $3000 each
Pharmacy paid first $3000
Cola Option from Employer $13000/yr
USK Coastie,

Why aren't you and DW using Tricare since you are prior military? Tricare Prime is only $480/yr for medical for self and DW. Dental is about $900/yr.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #49

...I suspect that the "insurance troll" will never get a chance to read your comments since he only has time to monitor comments in 1-2 threads at a time 24 hours a day for new posts...come to think of it, he didnt start posting until Rich started his new board....
Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Ah hah...so its Rich's fault.

In fact...now that you mention it...I've never seen the two of them together at the same time...whaaaaaa?

Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Bogusfacts?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
...I suspect that the "insurance troll" will never get a chance to read your comments since he only has time to monitor comments in 1-2 threads at a time 24 hours a day for new posts...come to think of it, he didnt start posting until Rich started his new board....

By the way, since accuracy is a critical and highly valued part of every discussion on this issue, MKLD is a woman.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

So on top of everything else, you're cross dressing?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Actually we are closer than you think. Because the sin taxes go into general revenues, and now that we are retired, we are able to minimize general taxation. But the sin taxes go on forever.

Also I may have overstated them because we spend 4 months each year somewhere else. But the $10,000 figure is probably a good one.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
--As of January 1, 2008 we will have COBRA for 18 months. Monthly premium for family is $1086 or roughly $13,000 a year. Deductible and copays as above.

--After COBRA expires July 1 of 2009 we will be on the Minnesota risk pool. If we were enrolled now, my premium would be $377/month and Greg's $466/month, each with a $1000 deductible, $200 of which is for drugs. Total premium cost per year is $10,116. Maximum out of pocket is $3000 per person. Premium depends on age and whether you smoke. We get older, but don't smoke.
Martha, you may consider this a highly personal question and I will understand if you choose not to answer it. Why are you going directly from COBRA to the risk pool?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Two people: 48 and 49.
Catastrophic health insurance annual: $2,400
$5,000 deductible, no drug coverage.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Martha, you may consider this a highly personal question and I will understand if you choose not to answer it. Why are you going directly from COBRA to the risk pool?
I'm not Martha, but I imagine it's because there's no other option.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
YIKES! This has been one of the most informative threads that I have ever read here. I knew that private insurance was expensive, even with high deductibles, but these numbers are staggering.

I have often said (in jest) that I consider my Tricare benefits as important to DW and I as the retirement money that military sticks in my checking account on the first of each month. Now, I really mean it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Not insurable on the private market.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Number of people: 3
Ages: 61,54,20
Annual premium: currently $7594, but goes up 15-25%/year**
Deductible: $2500 family/$1250 each person
Company: Aetna
Includes drug plan after first $30 per prescription
No dental, no optical

** The large annual cost increases are because it's a retiree medical plan. About 7 years ago the company announced that in order to retain medical coverage for retirees, they would no longer be adding additional money to the annual cost increases. The retirees must now foot all, or most, of the increases in the cost of the plan. After looking over what everyone is paying, I may be approaching the cost of independently purchased plans. The plan will go down after I hit 65 on medicare and DD is on her own. But DW may now be unable to purchase coverage at any price due to a very recent "pre-existing condition." I need to hold onto the policy I have no matter what it costs in the future. There's something wrong with a medical insurance system that only provides affordable coverage to people that don't need the coverage at all.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mr. Zipper (64) Ontario Health Premium $300.00./year.

Mrs. Zipper (59) Ontario Health Premium $300.00./year.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote