Poll - ACTUAL non-subsidized heatlh care cost in ER.

What happens if a person with no assets retires before 65 in the USA without health insurance? Assuming he doesn't get cancer or anything costing more than 10K a year it seems he might be better off than paying 10K in premiums and deductables.

What happens if a person with no assets retires before 65 in the USA .

They probably starve to death before disease or injury takes them. Down here, it really pays to have some assets if you're going to RE. ;)

This is a great thread for me because I'm a few years away from full retirement, now have health insurance through my employer, have very little knowledge about health insurance because I very seldom use it, and I'm projecting health insurance costs in RE.

I assume the posters route all medical bills through their insurance, the insurance co pays the bills, and the insureds reimburse the insurance co for all medical bills until the deductible is met?

My employer's insurance co negotiates doctor and hospital bills with the health provider. Do the insurance co's selling individual / family policies negotiate on behalf of the individual / family (even if the insured hasnt yet met the deductible) ?

Do individual / family plan providers have a "list" of doctors and hospitals that the insureds must go to in order to be covered by insurance?

Another aspect of individual health insurance for ERs: the exclusions. In my case, all dermatology check ups and care as well as several other exclusions that don't require treatment or care at the moment.

Accounting for premiums and deductibles doesn't always reveal the total cost when there is treatment for exclusions that must be paid for out of pocket.

However, they do not include drugs, eyes or teeth (except reconstructive surgery and cataracts). These are often provided through an employer's plan or directly with Blue Cross type plans, and most often require a contribution.

I've never had a health insurance plan that included eyes or teeth. They were optional plans that required a paycheck deduction.

Lacking drug coverage is huge. Maybe more so in the US where drugs are more expensive. :)

The one drawback I suppose is that since having my HSA plan, I have not gone to the doctor once, because I don't want to pay for it. Does anyone else find themselves not going in order to avoid tapping their HSA funds?

I was reluctant at first but now that my HSA can cover a year's deductible, I no longer worry about it. Part of my HSA is cash, for yearly expenses, and part is invested in Vanguard, for long-term growth.

$650/mo for two. (two individual policies)
44 & 47
Horizon BC/BS in NJ
HMO w/Deductible and Coinsurance
$2500/ea deductible
$5000/ea max annual out of pocket
No lifetime limit.
$40 copay
50% co-insurance

NJ is a community rating state, so rates are high, but coverage guaranteed. We're healthy, so are paying a lot to keep from going broke if one of us gets seriously ill.

Lacking drug coverage is huge. Maybe more so in the US where drugs are more expensive.

Both statements are absolutely true. And drug costs are increasing at much more than the CPI.

"What is driving increases in health spending?
Certainly spending increases in some areas are an issue. While spending on doctors and hospitals as a percentage of GDP has not changed much in the last 20 years, viii increases in other areas have been dramatic. However, in most cases these cost drivers are areas that fall outside of medicare. vii, xiv, xv For instance, expenditures on prescription drugs — which generally fall outside the scope of public insurance plans and are paid for by a combination of public and private insurance and out-of-pocket payments — have more than tripled their share of the GDP over the last two decades. vii Other cost drivers include community services, which have never been fully publicly covered. xv "

Myth: Canada’s system of healthcare financing is unsustainable | Mythbusters | Mythbusters & Evidence Boost | Publications and Resources | CHSRF

i seem to be paying into the elderly south florida population insurance pool.

single, healthy, non-smoking male age 51
unitedhealthcare premium $350/month - up from $300/month in 2007
$2850 deductible - no copays - no coinsurance - $2mm limit
"pre-existing" to private policy (developed while in group policy of same insurance company) glaucoma now not covered = ~$70/month rx and $150/year exam out of pocket and not applicable to deductible. what a rip!

currently investigating cost reduction. downsizing to north florida might lower premiums. international health insurance would reduce premium to $250/month which apparently allows for u.s. residency after securing policy overseas or can reduce costs much more so sans u.s. coverage.

Poll - ACTUAL non-subsidized heatlh care cost in ER.

Number of people: 3
Ages: 40s, 40s and teens
Annual premium: $5,000
Deductible: $5,000/person, $10,000 family
Previous Health problems: None

Another aspect of individual health insurance for ERs: the exclusions. In my case, all dermatology check ups and care as well as several other exclusions that don't require treatment or care at the moment.

Accounting for premiums and deductibles doesn't always reveal the total cost when there is treatment for exclusions that must be paid for out of pocket.

So your insurance company is saying if you get skin cancer, you're on your own?

That sucks.

Back
Top Bottom