Poll - ACTUAL non-subsidized heatlh care cost in ER.

I believe the rate quoted in online sites is the preferred rate.

Some people report actually getting that lower rate, but it seems to be a relatively small percentage.

Jim

Once again, thanks all for sharing. I now have a clear picture of the actual cost. Time to get back to my spreadsheet ;-)

When you're factoring plans, you might want to do a little 'total cost of ownership'. Lay out a little spreadsheet with the coverages, co-pays, drug costs, out of pocket maximums and so forth, then figure what your average use is going to be and plug that into each plan.

Then you might want to look at the consumer reports ratings for PPO and HMO companies and weight that in to the cost accordingly. When we went through the process recently, we found that a particular PPO plan was more expensive but let us pick our own doctors, while the HMO plan was the cheapest, but we had to take the doctor of the day as they change often. However we've used the HMO provider before and had good luck.

When I looked up the PPO provider, they were among the worst in consumer reports ratings across the board. The HMO provider was at the top of their ratings. That flipped the 'on the fence' decision.

While the clear out of pocket costs for the PPO's Gold/Silver/Bronze offerings were only about a thousand apart, the TCO showed figures of 7000, 5000 and 4000 (approx) vs a cost of under 4k for the HMO. We'd need the $7000 PPO offering to equal the coverage of the HMO.

Of course, if you're healthy, dont use prescription drugs, dont balance on ladders with a nail gun in one hand and a paint gun in the other, etc...the cheaper PPO plan might TCO out to be pretty competitive.

As far as this continued escalation of costs and shaving of benefits, theres got to be an end in sight for it. Employers will simply stop bearing the cost burden at some point and nobody but the rich will be able to afford personal premiums.

At that point we degrade to a walmart like structure or a nationalized plan. I cant see a whole lot of room for other options. Either way the HC costs almost have to stabilize at some point.

Number of people: 2
Ages: 62 and 64
Annual premium: $3955
Deductible: None. 20% copay and annual limit per person (e.g. $700) for each of dental, drugs, eyeglasses, etc.

Includes travel insurance for multiple trips to US.

Estimated annual sin taxes paid to subsidize universal healthcare: $9980
(granted these are all discretionary but we are pretty sinful)

All USD at 5% exchange.

I am female, 40 years old, I was quoted $10,560 a year 5K deductible for just myself. I can't imagine what it might be like in 15 years!!! I had a couple health issues a couple years back and 2 surgeries and I guess that is what threw me into the high cost arena. I decided to keep working for the time being......

Number of people: 1
Ages: high 30's
Annual premium: $1200
Deductible: $4000/person BCBS HSA

Number of people: 1
Annual premium: $0 (included in income tax)
Deductible: $0
Dental plan from employer: 80% coverage
HSA from employer: C$500
PHIP for professional corporation enables expensing of discretionary health expenses
Estimated taxes paid to subsidize universal health care: <C$10000

Number of people: 2
Ages: both 56
Annual premium: $10,600
Deductible: $2,500/person
Other notable: ...

Age 62 and 59
Pacific Care HMO in California
Now on COBRA
Annual Premium $12,000

I'm curious as to how you came up with this estimate.
What I did was compare what we pay for liquor, wine and gas in our annual San Diego vacation, and then the Canadian prices with sin taxes applied.

Also Meadbh did not include Blue Cross (or equivalent) coverage for medical, dental, eyesglasses and drugs. If it covers all that and continues after retirement, then it is not what was asked for here.

Of course, travel health insurance is extra if any vacation time in the US is planned.

Coverage for 2, both age 53. North Florida
Humana One, $10,000 ded. with HSA
Mo prem $268.00 combined, annual = $3,216.
Just swithched to this one when premium went up with United. This one includes covered annual check ups and screening (outside of deductible). We are lucky to be in good health and on no RX. Hope that holds.

Annual premium: $4488 BCBS
Deductible: $10,000 each $30,000 Family
Dental plan $1188
Total Cost including premiums
2004 - $11,341
2005 - $ 8,779
2006 - $ 9,576

The first 18 months of Cobra premiums alone I had been paying were like $13,000 a year in 2001 - 2002, not counting the deductibles and co-pays. When Cobra was nearing the end, sweated the filling out of the family life medical history for 5 and waiting for months for the underwriter to decide whether they would cover and if they wanted to add on to the standard rate. During the wait I decided to go high-deductible.When I indicated I would go HD I got a quick OK.The premium has remained the same through the years, because even though the oldsters get nicked every couple years for more, we have youngsters that have been rolling off saving $50 a month each.
Even though we pay for everything we usually get a discounted negotiated rate which is about 10-20% off, more for x-rays and lab work.
I'm fortunate to be able to pay $30,000(20k in a couple yrs) each year if needed. Good to know there is a limit.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how you came up with this estimate.

It's just a ballpark figure. I'm estimating that 40% of my provincial taxes will go to healthcare and perhaps 5% of Federal taxes. $10,000 would cover it in my case because I have a very tax efficient structure and live in a province that does not charge healthcare premiums. Unlike Keith I am not counting anything for "sin" taxes since I am, of course, a saint!

:angel:

What I did was compare what we pay for liquor, wine and gas in our annual San Diego vacation, and then the Canadian prices with sin taxes applied.

Also Meadbh did not include Blue Cross (or equivalent) coverage for medical, dental, eyesglasses and drugs. If it covers all that and continues after retirement, then it is not what was asked for here.

Of course, travel health insurance is extra if any vacation time in the US is planned.

True, I did not make allowances for liquor, wine and gas. In my case gas would be the principal one, and most of it would be jet fuel. I did not include Blue Cross because my employer pays for that. After retirement I will self insure for dental, etc. I have a personal health insurance plan which enables me to charge healthcare expenses to my corporation, which means they will be tax deductible expenses as long as I keep the corporation active. Yes, I forgot to account for travel insurance. I now purchase a comprehensive policy through my corporation for $84 per year.

No, I'm not making this up!

Last edited:
I know nothing about birds, but I suggest that before you make any decisions you consider the following questions:

- Do these birds have EMPLOYMENT ASSOCIATED health coverage? Is there a WAITING TIME for watery-poo syndrome?

- Why should stinky-poo suffer because of chubby bird's CHOICE to be OBESE?

- Do you really think we would have a place like MAYO FOR BIRDIES if we covered ALL birds REGARDLESS of their ability to chirp?

Glad to be of assistance.

I am female, 40 years old, I was quoted $10,560 a year 5K deductible for just myself. I can't imagine what it might be like in 15 years!!! I had a couple health issues a couple years back and 2 surgeries and I guess that is what threw me into the high cost arena. I decided to keep working for the time being......

This is why our system is unsustainable.

The cost for health insurance is absolutly ridiculus. Not one american should have to declare bankruptsy or loose their house just because they get sick.

It's just a ballpark figure. I'm estimating that 40% of my provincial taxes will go to healthcare and perhaps 5% of Federal taxes. $10,000 would cover it in my case because I have a very tax efficient structure and live in a province that does not charge healthcare premiums. Unlike Keith I am not counting anything for "sin" taxes since I am, of course, a saint!

:angel:

That's why I asked. So it's your ballpark estimate contribution to the Canadian health system, but not your cost. If you were making 2x as much money your contribution would be higher, but the cost is the same.

As far as "saint" is concerned, I have only two words "yeah, right" :)

Last edited:
I know nothing about birds, but I suggest that before you make any decisions you consider the following questions:

- Do these birds have EMPLOYMENT ASSOCIATED health coverage? Is there a WAITING TIME for watery-poo syndrome?

- Why should stinky-poo suffer because of chubby bird's CHOICE to be OBESE?

- Do you really think we would have a place like MAYO FOR BIRDIES if we covered ALL birds REGARDLESS of their ability to chirp?

Glad to be of assistance.

:D

Pretty good, Rich.

Wait until Martha realizes that she doesnt have two birds. She has four billion.

And they all have ridiculous expectations about their future care.

Number of People : 2
Ages 57 and 55
Annual premium $6030
Dedeuctable: $3000 each
Pharmacy paid first $3000
Cola Option from Employer $13000/yr

USK Coastie,

Why aren't you and DW using Tricare since you are prior military? Tricare Prime is only $480/yr for medical for self and DW. Dental is about $900/yr.

:D...I suspect that the "insurance troll" will never get a chance to read your comments since he only has time to monitor comments in 1-2 threads at a time 24 hours a day for new posts...come to think of it, he didnt start posting until Rich started his new board....;)

Ah hah...so its Rich's fault.

In fact...now that you mention it...I've never seen the two of them together at the same time...whaaaaaa? ;)

Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Bogusfacts?

Back
Top Bottom