Poll:Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert

Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?

• Introvert

Votes: 195 91.1%
  • Extrovert

Votes: 19 8.9%

• Total voters
Introvert = Not sure if it has giving me an advantage.

Another good book is called "Introvert Advantage".

Agree. Good book.

I am surprised to see the poll is THIS lopsided.

Me too. I wonder if it has more to do with being a forum than being ER. I think people who inhabit forums are generally more introverted. ER might play a role, too, though.

I consider the MBTI to be twaddle. What type does that make me?

Twaddle - as in a lot of solemn nonsense.

I just don't cotton to the notion of boiling people down to "types." There are at leat 7 billion types of people, and the fact that we all possess traits is hardly news. I think the whole thing was just cooked up to make money off of companies. Look at the ridiculous questions on the test (which I've been made to take multiple times at work): "Do you prefer the word 'warm' or the word 'cool'"? Somewhere, somebody is laughing...

A lot of people find M-B helpful in understanding themselves, but in the psychology community, it isn't considered a serious instrument for studying or classifying personality. The "introvert vs. extrovert" dimension is a solid one, but I wouldn't put much stock in the other dimensions (maybe thinking/feeling?).

If you want an actual, research-based, well-validated way of classifying "types," then the Big Five model is the way to go. You'll notice that the one trait dimension that appears there is the introvert-extrovert dimension. That one has definitely stood the test of time/research.

Sounds like you don't believe in the notion of classifying people into types, though, which is fine. I do think the notion of traits and types is useful in understanding ourselves and others. Personally, learning that I was an introvert and understanding the advantages/disadvantages of that helped me to become much more self-accepting (for instance, to stop struggling with myself to become more extroverted).

I think any self-proclaimed introvert with more than about 10 posts on this forum is not an introvert.

No, introverts often enjoy expressing themselves in writing. You can do it at your own pace; there is no pressure to keep the conversation moving. You can consider and edit your words before you send them out. You can pick and choose who you are going to respond to. You can type out your thoughts without worrying what you look like (I'm in my jammies right now). You can stop whenever you want and just walk away, without having to figure out how to detach yourself. The other person can't drag you into a longer discussion if you don't want it to happen. You don't have to listen to (read) people if you don't want to. There's a distance and simplicity to it -- it's not like face to face conversation, with all of its inputs and distractions. You can just focus on what you want to say.

So, for an introvert, there are a lot of advantages to talking on forums. I'm a huge innie, and I've always loved conversing on the internet.

The percentage of members that are introverts is amazing. Now I can see why it's easier to be members of forums such as this. The introvert never has to address the posters face to face and it's easier to take stands on issues that they would never do with someone in person. I'm not saying this is bad, it's just something I never thought about.

I would like to now from some of you introverts if I'm correct in my assumption. Is this why introverts join forums such as this?

Because it's easier to take stands than it would be in person? No, not really. I'm pretty direct in person and don't have a problem taking stands. It's more about the factors I mentioned above, imo. Although, those factors do make it easier to express myself, so in a way, I think there is some truth to what you're saying.

Last edited:
I just don't cotton to the notion of boiling people down to "types." There are at leat 7 billion types of people, and the fact that we all possess traits is hardly news.
Amethyst
Then you must be an INTJ :LOL:

Just kidding.....I do understand your dislike of categorizing people into broad types. The problem with doing this (in my view) is that we might be tempted to think our particular "type" completely explains every facet of our personality and even, in some cases, use it as an excuse for bad behavior. It can become a crutch (as in "Well, I'm an introvert. It's normal for me to not want to spend time with so-and-so. I'll just ignore them - no need to attempt to be nice about it or try to provide an explanation.)

However, I must say that since I've been reading about introversion in general and talking to other INTJ's online it has helped me realize that I'm not as weird as I thought I was. Although I have always been content when alone and in the company of a very select few others, dealing with unpredictable social situations, social gatherings etc has been the source of quite a bit of stress. Knowing that I am not unique in my experience has been a small revelation. I have only come to fully accept who I am very recently. Much of that has been due to the plethora of information on the internet and I do believe that these Meyers-Briggs categorizations, although by nature imperfect, have helped too.

I know that because we are all unique we are all, in a sense, minorities, but it has felt to me that my personality type has placed me so far from the accepted norm in society, it's reassuring to know I'm not a complete nutjob.

I will, however, accept the title of "partial nutjob" :D

Last edited:
As an introvert, I don't understand the whole social media/exhibitionist craze. I can't figure out why people have such an overwhelming need to talk all the time on their cell phones and in public places where everyone can overhear the conversation. I don't "get" Facebook or the explosion of personal blogs where people trump out all their personal information, photos, and excruciatingly boring details of their daily lives. Are there any introverts that enjoy this kind of stuff?

Not me. I have no cell phone and no interest in Facebook (I tried it for a week and had that hilarious Betty White response in her SNL monologue where she said she thought FB was a "huge waste of time").

Sounds like you don't believe in the notion of classifying people into types, though, which is fine. I do think the notion of traits and types is useful in understanding ourselves and others. Personally, learning that I was an introvert and understanding the advantages/disadvantages of that helped me to become much more self-accepting (for instance, to stop struggling with myself to become more extroverted)....

No, introverts often enjoy expressing themselves in writing. You can do it at your own pace; there is no pressure to keep the conversation moving. You can consider and edit your words before you send them out. You can pick and choose who you are going to respond to. You can type out your thoughts without worrying what you look like (I'm in my jammies right now). You can stop whenever you want and just walk away, without having to figure out how to detach yourself. The other person can't drag you into a longer discussion if you don't want it to happen. You don't have to listen to (read) people if you don't want to. There's a distance and simplicity to it -- it's not like face to face conversation, with all of its inputs and distractions. You can just focus on what you want to say....

It's easier to take stands than it would be in person? No, not really. I'm pretty direct in person and don't have a problem taking stands. It's more about the factors I mentioned above, imo. Although, those factors do make it easier to express myself, so in a way, I think there is some truth to what you're saying.

Extremely well said. Couldn't agree more. And I also thought "Quiet" was a very good book.

I've found introverts give a lot more thought to extroverts than vice versa. When you're living in a culture that promotes extroversion, as the U.S. does, it's easy to perceive extroversion as normal and introversion as an unhealthy variation.

Well, that shows how effective the MBTI instrument is...I test as ENFP :LOL:

And definitely agree about the "crutch" part. I honestly think that is the basis for the MBTI's economic success...some will pay for the privilege of simply owning who they were all along.

My opinions and views often (though far from always) differ from the crowd's, and that is part of who I am. That some others see that as "weird" is just a fact; no labeling system will change them, or make me feel better or worse about myself.

Amethyst

Then you must be an INTJ :LOL:

Just kidding.....I do understand your dislike of categorizing people into broad types. The problem with doing this (in my view) is that we might be tempted to think our particular "type" completely explains every facet of our personality and even, in some cases, use it as an excuse for bad behavior. It can become a crutch (as in "Well, I'm an introvert. It's normal for me to not want to spend time with so-and-so. I'll just ignore them - no need to attempt to be nice about it or try to provide an explanation.)

However, I must say that since I've been reading about introversion in general and talking to other INTJ's online it has helped me realize that I'm not as weird as I thought I was. Although I have always been content when alone and in the company of a very select few others, dealing with unpredictable social situations, social gatherings etc has been the source of quite a bit of stress. Knowing that I am not unique in my experience has been a small revelation. I have only come to fully accept who I am very recently. Much of that has been due to the plethora of information on the internet and I do believe that these Meyers-Briggs categorizations, although by nature imperfect, have helped too.

I know that because we are all unique we are all, in a sense, minorities, but it has felt to me that my personality type has placed me so far from the accepted norm in society, it's reassuring to know I'm not a complete nutjob.

I will, however, accept the title of "partial nutjob" :D

Are there any introverts that enjoy this kind of stuff?

I have more than 10 posts on this board, and I thoroughly enjoy Facebook, etc. It's because I can turn it off at will, and no one says "oh, are you leaving already? Do you have to go so soon?"

I am grateful I live in the age of the Internet & Social Media, or I'd be very, very isolated, which I crave the majority of the time. But not 100%. I just can't take much face to face socializing, particularly with people I'm not REALLY close with.

I think I'm a "situational" extrovert. Most of the time, I prefer to avoid crowds or parties but when I am out in a crowd, I find it pretty easy to engage in conversation with people. My wife is a total introvert but finds it amusing (most of the time, lol) when I end up in long conversations with strangers in stores or parking lots.

Probably a result of my work life, it required a lot of interaction with many people in various capacities but for my personal life, I'm happy to keep it pretty low key.

BTW, I scored as an ESTJ on the Meyer's Briggs tests when taken during my working career.

Extremely well said. Couldn't agree more. And I also thought "Quiet" was a very good book.

I've found introverts give a lot more thought to extroverts than vice versa. When you're living in a culture that promotes extroversion, as the U.S. does, it's easy to perceive extroversion as normal and introversion as an unhealthy variation.

I'll have to check out Quiet. I've read probably 4 different books on introversion at this point, so I'm a little saturated, but Quiet seems to be getting a lot of good press.

What you reference in your second paragraph -- that's why I've found reading about introversion helpful. Our culture has, by and large, been built by extroverts. Extroverts run most of the companies, extroverts are in most positions of power, extroverts talk the most and have the loudest voices, extroverts outnumber introverts about 3 to 1. America is a very extroverted culture. You see it reflected everywhere (in most media, for instance). Understanding introversion has been helpful in adapting to that -- it has also helped me understand extroverts better (as well extroverts' reactions to introverts ... and my reaction to them, as an innie).

By the way, for those who are wondering about the OP question, you don't have to deal with taking the whole Myers Briggs. There are plenty of briefer instruments that just measure introversion vs. extroversion, without all the other stuff. A lot quicker and easier. For example:

Quiz: are you an introvert? | Science | The Guardian

I maxed that one out. You can google around if you don't like that one. There are a bunch of them out there.

I also came across this nice summary of 6 misunderstandings about introverts (based on Cain's book, I think):

6 Things You Thought Wrong About Introverts

For the link-averse:

1. Introverts are shy, and the shy are introverts.
2. Introverts don't like to be around people.
3. Introverts don't make good leaders or speakers.
4. Introverts have more negative personalities.
5. Introverts are more intellectual or creative.
6. It's easy to tell whether someone is introverted or extroverted.

I am grateful I live in the age of the Internet & Social Media, or I'd be very, very isolated, which I crave the majority of the time. But not 100%. I just can't take much face to face socializing, particularly with people I'm not REALLY close with.

Me, too. The internet has been a social godsend for me. A huge waste of time as well, lol.

Last edited:
I have more than 10 posts on this board, and I thoroughly enjoy Facebook, etc. It's because I can turn it off at will, and no one says "oh, are you leaving already? Do you have to go so soon?"

+1

Who would of thought that a bunch of introverts would enjoy comparing notes ABOUT their introversion so much?

Somehow it seems contradictory.

Things that make you go "Huh?"

Who would of thought that a bunch of introverts would enjoy comparing notes ABOUT their introversion so much?

As has been said before, it is because posting on forums suits introverts' communication style.

That's pretty funny! For me, at least, it is re-affirming to know I'm not the only one with these kinds of character traits. I have a friend (a fellow introvert) who used to post frequent memes and affirmations on my Facebook timeline about introversion. It used to make me cringe a little. I don't remember now, but I think I must have said something, as he stopped doing it. It seemed just a little too demonstrative. Even here, in a relatively anonymous forum, I occasionally think that we should get back to investing talk but I must say that it is of value to me.

Apologies to the extroverts but you guys don't really need any affirmations - society's codes of conduct were largely written in your favor.

In addition to the 'net communication aspect, there is something else going on.

Part of being an introvert is being interested in your own thinking, feeling, etc. -- your inner life. So it makes sense to me that "innies" would jump at the opportunity to discuss the topic, in a forum where most of the talk is usually about externals.

Innies can spend a long time thinking or talking about their interior life. Outies (extroverts) tend to find that boring and want to get on to the next activity.

this poll may have missed many persons 1st choice. "both" Like many others I'm some of both.

I think I am an ambivert, too.

There are plenty of briefer instruments that just measure introversion vs. extroversion, without all the other stuff. A lot quicker and easier. For example:

Quiz: are you an introvert? | Science | The Guardian

I maxed that one out.

I got close to the max too. Of particular interest to early-retirement.org members is this item in the quiz:

4. I seem to care less than my peers about wealth, fame and status.

That's crucial to achieving FI and the LBYM strategy, which indicates why so many of us here are introverts.

There's no doubt the Intranet is a natural for introverts -- that's why some jokingly call it the Intronet. But I'd argue that, ironically, it's made us into virtual extroverts. Although the Web considerably expands our connections with those who share similar interests, those connections are shallower and more tenuous. We've paid a price in the considerable diminution of deeper one-to-one social interactions.

From "Revenge of the Introvert" article in Psychology Today:

According to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality test administered to two randomized national samples, introverts make up 50 percent of the U.S. population. The MBTI definition of introversion—a preference for solitude, reflection, internal exploration of ideas vs. active engagement and pursuit of rewards in the external/social world—correlates closely with the Big Five description. But the results still surprise; if every other person is an introvert, why doesn't the cultural tone reflect that?

It's not just that we overestimate the numbers of extraverts in our midst because they're more salient. The bias of individuals is reinforced in the media, which emphasize the visual, the talkative, and the sound bite— immediacy over reflection.

This thread is very interesting. I've learned a lot about forum members by reading the posts. I am astounded that there are so many introverts here.
I said I was an extrovert and that's true but I don't post a lot on the forum while introverts seem to post non-stop. I enjoy reading the posts and will comment when I think I can offer help, but when others are already saying what I would say, then I don't come in and repeat those thoughts.
I am ESTJ and I can say that all of the traits seem to fit me well. I haven't seen anyone else say this one, so public forum participation must not be one of the hobbies for ESTJs.

Wow, 90/10 right now. I expected more I's, but that's really high.

My daughter recommended the book "Introvert Power". Wish I had read it 40 years ago. I see there are others mentioned above.

Last edited:

I was exactly 50% on this quiz.

I am extroverted in nearly every context other than larger groups of people. But if you put me in a room with 20 people at a social event, I will get worn out.

Generally I enjoy socializing and getting to know people. I also very much enjoy spending time with close friends. But I don't necessarily go out of my way to find it and am fine not talking with anyone.

this poll may have missed many persons 1st choice. "both" Like many others I'm some of both.

Very good point. It's a continuum, not an either/or, and most people are probably near the middle. Forced to choose, I think a lot of the "mixed" types (50%?) are designating themselves as either/or, but that's not really accurate.

I got close to the max too. Of particular interest to early-retirement.org members is this item in the quiz:

4. I seem to care less than my peers about wealth, fame and status.

That's crucial to achieving FI and the LBYM strategy, which indicates why so many of us here are introverts.

Yes, I know that my disinterest in social status feels like part of my introversion and has helped me live below my means. Also, I think being an introvert is probably a cheaper lifestyle than being an extrovert, on average.

There's no doubt the Intranet is a natural for introverts -- that's why some jokingly call it the Intronet. But I'd argue that, ironically, it's made us into virtual extroverts. Although the Web considerably expands our connections with those who share similar interests, those connections are shallower and more tenuous. We've paid a price in the considerable diminution of deeper one-to-one social interactions.

I'm sure that's true in some ways. Otoh, I've had some of my deepest relationships grow out of online connections, including several girlfriends and a marriage. So I think it can work both ways.

From "Revenge of the Introvert" article in Psychology Today:

According to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality test administered to two randomized national samples, introverts make up 50 percent of the U.S. population.

Which is considerably higher than most estimates, and it makes me think the M-B overestimates introversion. Most of the estimates I'm familiar with put introverts as about 1/4 or 1/3 of the population. Which makes sense. It wouldn't be 50/50. Just from an evolutionary standpoint, extroverts would by nature be more likely to reproduce, so the population must contain more of them than introverts.

I think that's part of why we're seeing such an extreme 90/10 split. A lot of people seem to be using the M-B designation as their reference point. I think the M-B overestimates introversion.

My momma always told me never to smile at perverts, but what the heck. :)

Thanks eddie.
I deleted the post right before I noticed your reply.
Nobody needed to see that crap anyway, I suppose !!!
All meant to be in good humor, or at least some kind of humor.:LOL:
Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom