Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: My home represents this percentage of the total computed in Step 1 (in the first post
0-10% 93 26.57%
10-20% 133 38.00%
20-30% 65 18.57%
30-40% 24 6.86%
40-50% 18 5.14%
>50% 7 2.00%
I rent or do not have a main home 10 2.86%
These poll choices are terrible! None fit me, but I wanted to participate. 0 0%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Renting now, so that's how I voted.

I was at about 33% before I sold my Northern Va home in 2014. Under my current plan (2018 home buy) I will probably be at 25-30% when I pay cash for a home in a lower cost area.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #102
Dryer sheet wannabe

11%. No mortgage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
bison74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in the 0-10% group (about 7.7%), using the average of what Zillow says my house is worth and what my county property tax bill says. The Zillow number seems high to me and the county number seems low, so I think something in between is probably pretty accurate. It's been years since I poked around on Zillow -- pretty cool site!

Does anyone happen to know (or want to guess) what the results of this poll would be if taken by the general public? I'm guessing the >50% bar would be the winner by a long shot, but I'm curious to know what the actual numbers would be.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I'm in the 0-10% group (about 7.7%), using the average of what Zillow says my house is worth and what my county property tax bill says. The Zillow number seems high to me and the county number seems low, so I think something in between is probably pretty accurate. It's been years since I poked around on Zillow -- pretty cool site!

Does anyone happen to know (or want to guess) what the results of this poll would be if taken by the general public? I'm guessing the >50% bar would be the winner by a long shot, but I'm curious to know what the actual numbers would be.
Yes, would be interesting but should only be for retirees or those close to retiring.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

The curious thing about this poll I think is the more you analyze the less meaning you will derive, so it really is just for fun. In your challenge to guess the percentage of the general public many people have very little equity (as in mortgaged to the max or upside down) and fairly low net worth as well so my guess is their ratios are not dramatically different than the RE crowd. Come to think of it what does negative equity do to this calculation?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #106

I voted before I checked Zillow's value for my home which is lower than my tax value so not sure how valid Zillow is. But using Zillow's value:

If i use liquid investable assets plus book value of stock in family business (which is an investment) I get 9.1%.

If I use only liquid investable assets I get 11.9%

No mortgage.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #107

Some of these percentages are very high, which means the hard asset component of that asset distribution is kind of locked into that high spot. Not that that's 'bad', just that I wonder if there are folks in that position that are ignoring their personal residence when it comes to setting and maintaining their asset allocation. Of course if you wanted to "rebalance" out of hard asset towards, say, equities, you could always take out a loan and buy stock.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at just about 50% on the CA Central Coast. Since we just finished a major remodel I don't actually know what my house is worth. The Zillow estimate is low and we don't even have the reassessment from the tax man yet, though that is coming. Also I have a pension, not included, and a mortgage. I love my house, and its location, so I'm not complaining.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Currently renting in San Francisco. If I purchased this an equivalent home outright, my ratio would be about 50%.
+1 & also in SF Bay Area.

I chose "renting" for the poll but, if we purchased an equivalent home, our ratio would be in the 30-40% band.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll: Compare value of your residence to investment portfolio
Old 09-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll: Compare value of your residence to investment portfolio

About 30% with a house and condo in the Bay Area. Will sell one or the other within 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Daniel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #111

Why are rental properties not in the equation? I don't get the significance of house to liquid. Seems more important to know house to overall assets because that is more an indication if one is living beyond their means, no!?
Old 09-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #112
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Actually, I would have expected the value of your Vancouver home to increase by a bigger multiple over ~20 years. I owned a home in Winnipeg for 20 years and sold it for 3.08 X my purchase price. Five years on, it has recently been on the market for 60% more than that (I don't know the 2016 sale price). Granted, both I and the new owners had done some renovations. And the numbers are an order of magnitude smaller than in Vancouver.
Hmm, I suppose. I still find the current valuation pretty nutty. If we had to buy in now from scratch, we'd find it pretty daunting.
Hard to compare apple to apple though when reno's/improvements are involved.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Why are rental properties not in the equation? I don't get the significance of house to liquid. Seems more important to know house to overall assets because that is more an indication if one is living beyond their means, no!?
The poll results don't tell us anything about cash flow/living beyond means, etc. As structured, the poll tells us what share of respondents' assets (minus future pensions and a few other things) are tied up in their house. I agree that it might be more intuitive to include income properties along with other investments.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I don't think these numbers are too meaningful in places like California. The original owners in our neighborhood have seen their house prices increase by a factor of over 25 times the original cost. So they aren't really house poor - they've just chosen not to sell and move some place cheaper.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Or they've chosen not to sell and move somewhere more expensive.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:21 PM   #116

50%. Live in SF bay Area.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #117

37.5%. Live in SF Bay Area.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

25%, Maryland, just a few years from retiring.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

We're retired, and the house is less than 10% of our net worth.

We're lucky to live in the Houston area, where housing prices are relatively low. Of course, folks in the Houston area can easily spend three or four times the value of our home, especially those who want to live close to central Houston. We're quite happy out in the suburbs, though.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #120

43%, Southern California. Kind of crazy, I know.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote