Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you have a pension?
Government Pension 166 29.23%
Corporate Pension 195 34.33%
No pension, just SS & savings 207 36.44%
Voters: 568. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, just like "rich" and "enough", I guess we need to define "small" since YMMV.
I must have an outdated dictionary.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2021, 12:09 AM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have 2 corporate (union) pensions (cough) which kind of sucks because I am still working to maximize my monthly payout.

I have over $2 million in my portfolio so why am I still working at this point? Age 58 with a super affordable health care option to get me to age 65.

Not one coworker is familiar with the FIRE movement which I find very strange?

Also all the full pension amount guys (30 years) I work with are still working because their wives are making them. lol
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:14 AM   #223
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have an interesting one - After working 19-1/2 years for Company A, Company B bought us. Fortunately we were grandfathered into our old plan. I worked 1-1/2 years for Company B, and decided to move on. Because I was grandfathered in, I received a lump sum for those 19-1/2 years payable at age 50. The 1-1/2 years at Company B was not included in the lump sum, so they send me a whopping $31.84 check each month for that time. I am going on 12 years with that $31.84 check coming in each month. No telling how much it takes to keep up with me and send out that check, but it seems like they should of just paid me a lump sum for that 1-1/2 years and moved on. Corporate bureaucracy at its finest.
kblagron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:47 AM   #224
gone traveling

Yes and I collect it at age 55 which is in less than 1 year. I have to call the pension company when I turn 55 or else the pension plan cannot be activated.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #225

Yea, I don’t know where a $3100/mo pension at 55 is considered small...
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #226

I know more than a few engineers that qualified for a very nice ERP, with healthy pension & excellent severance & HC benes, that already had over 30years, past age 60, etc. that didn’t take it because either their wives didn’t want them at home or they didn’t want to stay home with their wives or live in inlaws/adult children etc. They are defined by their w*ork.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #227
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I would agree it's not a "top tier" number, but lots of folks would think it at least adequate as pensions go - especially at 55. That's why my comment on defining the word "small" - just as we've attempted to define things like "rich" and "enough." Just one more thing in a long line of YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #228

Quote:
Yes its roughly a portfolio of around $900,000 paying you a monthly guarantee.

My 30 year monthly amount is around a portfolio with 1.25 million paying out a 4% withdrawal rate.

Its enough to make a difference.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Yes its roughly a portfolio of around $900,000 paying you a monthly guarantee.

My 30 year monthly amount is around a portfolio with 1.25 million paying out a 4% withdrawal rate.

Its enough to make a difference.
$3100 for most folks would easily qualify for one leg of the 3 - legged "stool" of retirement income. One might expect almost that much again from a full SS payment at FRA. If you have a $Mil as your stash (40/60 to 60/40) you could probably pull almost 4%. Pretty soon, you're looking at the better part of $100K/year. (Like the old commercial) Not a fortune but "adequate." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #230

Between 2010 and 2020, annual avg SP 500 return rate is 13.6%.

That means $300,000 invested at the beginning will yield $3400 per month.

Certainly one of the three legs of a stool for those who retires with $1M net worth.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #231

Maybe to some people $100k/yr in retirement income is small? That would be a pretty good disconnect IMHO, but I’m sure they exist.

Just curious, (doesn’t apply to me) but has anyone here actually taken the lump sum offered by their pension provider and then purchased an annuity with it, even if they added some of their own cash, to provide themselves with their own personal pension?
Old 05-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe to some people $100k/yr in retirement income is small? That would be a pretty good disconnect IMHO, but I’m sure they exist.

Just curious, (doesn’t apply to me) but has anyone here actually taken the lump sum offered by their pension provider and then purchased an annuity with it, even if they added some of their own cash, to provide themselves with their own personal pension?

DW took a lump sum and rolled it into her 401k. Between dividends, my $1,385/mo pension and interest we generate ~$100k of income. That excludes any selling of shares.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:49 AM   #233

Quote:

I have taken lump sum offers on 2 corporate pensions and have one in deferral. In all 3 cases the pension payout terms are better than a direct comparison with taking the lump sum and investing it in a SPIA. The difference I've seen is between 10% and 25% higher monthly payments from the pensions. From what I've read that is fairly typical. It would be interesting to hear from anyone where the opposite was true.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I condidered taking the lump sum and waiting for rates to rise making an annuity more attractive (market timing I guess). That was 6 yrs ago and rates haven’t gone up. The main reason I did not take the lump sum was that megacorp subsidized the Survivor benefit. I could match the single life annuity payment but the cost for a survivor benefit was much higher at places like immediateannuities.com. The Megacorp docs showed a relative value score for each pension option. The single life was 100% but the survivor option was 107%. The others were 90% or less
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 AM   #235
Dryer sheet wannabe

corporate pension - just got my first check last month at age 50 after working 31 years...loving it!
spanky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #236

congrats spanky!
My "small" pension is 'bout three hunnert' [/Brad Pitt from Thelma and Louise] i think that meets the common criteria for small.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Again, somewhat surprising that the "early" retirement board consists mostly of pensioners.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Again, somewhat surprising that the "early" retirement board consists mostly of pensioners.
The pensions allowed a lot of people to retire "early".
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I at least understand where you are coming from. I got sucked into this site by accidentally finding the John Greaney site that emphasized a roll-your-own approach (saving/investing - who needs a pension?) Bail at 32 or whatever.

So maybe it WOULD seem unlikely that most of us have a pension. Guilty as charged. BUT, before my pension vested, I did my best to be ready - just in case it never did (I could have been fired, could have decided my sanity would no longer survive another day and quit, etc.) That's how I got here - I started trying to emulate Greaney. Then, I DID stay for the pension and HC supplementation. What can I say? Maybe I didn't have the guts I needed. Also, explained often, I suddenly ended up doing something I liked (what a concept!) at w*rk. We shouldn't poo-poo your question though IMHO. It's valid to at least ask. YMMV

Old 05-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Both wife and I are drawing government pensions totaling $11.4K/mo plus a $1.9k stipend for healthcare. Also paid into and will get Social Security in a few years.

Haven’t touched a dime in various IRAs, 401(k) or 457 plans since retirement.
Congrats on your wonderful pensions. Wow. Are you aware of the WEP and GPO provisions in relation to Social Security benefits (how they are impacted by your government pensions)? These laws greatly impact my husband and myself, so much so that I will not receive a spousal or survivor benefit from DH’s Social Security. Also, his SS benefit is reduced by $330/month due to the WEP. I find that many people who have/will have government pensions are unaware of these two very important laws.
I’m doing better than I deserve!
Miarocks is offline   Reply With Quote