Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Net worth--excluding pensions, etc--basically your future estate
Under $1 million 11 5.07%
$1 million - $10 million 178 82.03%
$10 million - $25 million 19 8.76%
$25 million - $50 million 4 1.84%
$50 million - $100 million 0 0%
over $100 million 5 2.30%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #61
Administrator

Pfffft. I see nothing starting with a "b", so why should I vote?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 07:33 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ridiculous poll. One because of the choices available, and also because it's going to vary a lot depending on whether you have a nice pension and health care, paid off house, cost of living, married vs. single, etc. Basically worthless. lol
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
3 People with $100 Million networth .. get out of here .. Fat Fire now
Well, after you figure in future Zimbabwean-type inflation my current stash could easily be over $100M. Buying power about 1/20th that in todays dollars.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, after you figure in future Zimbabwean-type inflation my current stash could easily be over $100M. Buying power about 1/20th that in todays dollars.
Just wait until the end of the year! We might all be considering a move to the Zim dollar. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:45 AM   #65
gone traveling

Could be those bitcoin zillionaires joining the group.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

One thought I have is that many with a net worth over 25 million might be FI, but do not consider themselves RE. They are continuing to work at things they enjoy, and/or feel gives them prestige. I have friends from college in that category. They are "fascinated" (as a compliment) that I am completely retired, they feel they could never do that.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Ridiculous poll. One because of the choices available, and also because it's going to vary a lot depending on whether you have a nice pension and health care, paid off house, cost of living, married vs. single, etc. Basically worthless. lol
This is a simple poll on current Net Worth, if you die tomorrow.
Not intended to have anything to do with healthcare, cost of living, etc...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Just curious, for those of you who believe that several posters here (4 so far on this poll) actually have over $100 million usd NW, do you live in a state that has legalized marijuana?
Old 05-23-2021, 07:02 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Based on the OP's wording of the poll and the initial post (which I bolded above), the poll question itself is confusing. Are we talking about our current net worth, or what we expect our "future estate" "would be"?

I also noticed the word future and thought it confusing. I have used Firecalc and have a chance of going into the $10M to $25M bracket, but I have to live a long time and and win the SOR lottery.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I also noticed the word future and thought it confusing. I have used Firecalc and have a chance of going into the $10M to $25M bracket, but I have to live a long time and and win the SOR lottery.
Or move to Ohio and get your shots. Well, that's only a$mil so better stick to Oregon. I love their motto "WHEN YOU PLAY, OREGON WINS!" Anyone who thinks differently about ANY lottery is kidding themselves. Of course, if you ARE the winner, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:33 AM   #71

Assuming the following:

We had kept working
We had kept saving
The mkt returns 10% annually
We do the above till age 80
Ignore taxes and RMDs

Results NW >$45M

See, that was easy! (Well all except the working till 80 part.)
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Could be those bitcoin zillionaires joining the group.
1k investment in 2009 with no selling and you too would be over 100mm.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Or move to Ohio and get your shots. Well, that's only a$mil so better stick to Oregon. I love their motto "WHEN YOU PLAY, OREGON WINS!" Anyone who thinks differently about ANY lottery is kidding themselves. Of course, if you ARE the winner, YMMV.

Not sure if you understood, it was, if I win the 'Sequence Of Return' lottery, i.e. lots of positive market returns in sequence.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I can believe the few that voted for 10 to 25m but I suspect most of them are nearer 10 than to 25... Anything above that and why would they be spending any time here, unless its to see how the Peons get by on mere millions.
+1. I can’t imagine why the folks the OP is interested in would be regulars here. And there’s no doubt some if not all the top poll options are bogus votes…
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
I put the lower options for completeness. But am really mostly interested in how many eight figure, or even nine figure, net worths there are here.
And rest assured you still don’t know…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Poll options really need to be more granular. Most will fall between 1 and 10, and that's a large range.
Agree - very little info on the users of this site outside of 80% fall into one bucket.
zekeboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:34 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeboz View Post
Agree - very little info on the users of this site outside of 80% fall into one bucket.
+1
Old 06-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting conversation with my college-aged son recently... One of his finance professors assigned them to determine how much savings they will need to accumulate for retirement. I asked him what his initial estimate was...he said $2 million would seem like plenty. So I then asked him what level of spending, including taxes, would represent a desired quality of life in retirement TODAY. He thinks $200,000 would be a good goal. OK, so then I asked when he plans to retire...he thinks age 60 would be reasonable. Are you counting on Social Security or a pension? uhh, NO. Alright, so assuming 3% inflation, what income level will be needed 37 years into the future to equate to purchasing power of $200,000 today? -- turns out it's ~$600,000! Wow, so...still think $2 million sounds like enough for a 30-year retirement? Hmmm, maybe not. Then I introduced him to the 4% rule as a decent starting point for figuring out a number. $600,000 x 25 = $15 million! I told him to get busy making money and saving. This was an enlightening conversation for him.