Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Net worth--excluding pensions, etc--basically your future estate
Under $1 million 11 5.07%
$1 million - $10 million 178 82.03%
$10 million - $25 million 19 8.76%
$25 million - $50 million 4 1.84%
$50 million - $100 million 0 0%
over $100 million 5 2.30%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing that sticks out to me with this poll (albeit it limited voting so far) is only one person has voted under a million, yet I read frequently about folks here with a NW well under a million. I'm sure there are good reasons why, just seems odd.

I also think NW polls like this are very misleading, especially if you don't count/consider things like pensions/SS, etc... Of course YOMV....

Example, let's say two people, the same age, each have a NW worth of 500k on the day before they retire. One person selects the lump sum retirement package of 1m and the other takes the annuity option estimated to be worth a million in normal payout.... The day after they retire the person that took the lump sum can now claim to have a NW of 1.5m and the person that took the annuity can still only claim he has 500k... From my POV, they are both millionaires.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it's an interesting poll. There are some people here who are quite well off.

You could do more granularity in the 1-10 million range but I am not sure what that would tell you since pensions and social security matter.

Has there been a poll about what withdrawal rate folks would need from their portfolio to cover basic expenses? That seems to me to be a better measure of potential fatness. Some retired military folks have posted who have saved a lot but spending is entirely covered by pensions.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
One thing that sticks out to me with this poll (albeit it limited voting so far) is only one person has voted under a million, yet I read frequently about folks here with a NW well under a million. I'm sure there are good reasons why, just seems odd.
Not odd at all, considering the OP has posted twice that they have little interest in hearing from "the poor folks" on the forum with less than $10M
Old 05-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #24

A net worth poll is fine, but when we're talking Fat FIRE, I think it's more about income in retirement for many of us.
An income of $200,000 per year from pensions, annuities, SS and tax-deferred withdrawals (RMDs or similar) equates to a few million in assets, for instance...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
Net worth--excluding pensions, etc--basically your future estate
Quote:
For simplicity, lets not worry about the value of pensions, but only the value of what your estate would be (investable assets, house, etc.).
Based on the OP's wording of the poll and the initial post (which I bolded above), the poll question itself is confusing. Are we talking about our current net worth, or what we expect our "future estate" "would be"?

Quote:
I will include 2 lower rungs so everyone can participate, but I am most curious about the higher end and how far that goes.
LOL... The two "lower rungs" cover roughly 99% of ALL households in the U.S. Only 9 people here on the forum have voted in the $10+ million categories, and I can only think of one or two active forum members who have posted about having $15+ million NWs in recent years.

Let's say the final numbers turn out to be 85% in the lower rungs, 12% in the middle rungs, and 3% in the stratospheric rungs ($50+ million). So what? Not sure what the OP is trying to elucidate with this poll.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

There are now 3 over $100M -- if that is to be believed, or simply poll stuffing.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I put the lower options for completeness. But am really mostly interested in how many eight figure, or even nine figure, net worths there are here.
And you will never know with a self-selected poll.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseux View Post
There are now 3 over $100M -- if that is to be believed, or simply poll stuffing.
While it's certainly plausible, given that the average NW here at e-r.org is much higher than the population at large, I tend to doubt it. I don't recall ever having seen a post from someone indicating a NW of that magnitude. Perhaps these $100 millionaires are reluctant to discuss (or hint at) their massive nest eggs... but then, if so, why reply to a poll question about it?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #29

3 People with $100 Million networth .. get out of here .. Fat Fire now
Old 05-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #30

I know a couple of very high net worth folks (won the Silicon Valley start up lottery). I'm pretty sure they would have zero interest in most of the discussions on ER.org.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #31

How do I vote in the poll? When I do web view, doesn’t give me an option to vote.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Not sure if I have seen this, how high net worth gets at the upper reaches here. For anonymity purposes, vote without leaving a comment if you prefer. For simplicity, lets not worry about the value of pensions, but only the value of what your estate would be (investable assets, house, etc.). I will include 2 lower rungs so everyone can participate, but I am most curious about the higher end and how far that goes.
Considering that 85% are 'lower rungs' .. that's the big majority of 'everyone'
Old 05-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseux View Post
We are amongst
the rich and famous. I would like to meet someone that rich!! Nice job to your success in life.

Maybe I need to get back to work. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
How do I vote in the poll? When I do web view, doesn’t give me an option to vote.
Log in if you haven't already done so. You may then need to refresh the first page of the thread in your browser to show the poll with your vote enabled.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Our net worth is less than our spending capabilities, due to our pensions.

There are many on this forum with far more in assets than we have, I find everyones contributions to this forum interesting and many great "pearls of wisdom" can be had, no matter how much money, or how little, you have.
One of the greatest has been imoldernu, may he Rest in Peace. A man who's wealth was in his wisdom and willingness to share his frugal living ideas.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:08 PM   #36

Maybe there is someone famous here voting.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
While it's certainly plausible, given that the average NW here at e-r.org is much higher than the population at large, I tend to doubt it. I don't recall ever having seen a post from someone indicating a NW of that magnitude. Perhaps these $100 millionaires are reluctant to discuss (or hint at) their massive nest eggs... but then, if so, why reply to a poll question about it?
+1 although I believe there was one poster in the last 6 months who had a NW somewhere around 25 million or was getting there.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Our net worth is less than our spending capabilities, due to our pensions.

There are many on this forum with far more in assets than we have, I find everyones contributions to this forum interesting and many great "pearls of wisdom" can be had, no matter how much money, or how little, you have.
One of the greatest has been imoldernu, may he Rest in Peace. A man who's wealth was in his wisdom and willingness to share his frugal living ideas.
what happened to imoldernu?
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
what happened to imoldernu?
He passed away in 2019.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

His son let us know he had passed away.