Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: FIRE-Monthly cost coverage sources, light bill to your track leisure suit. Ballpark %
100 % Pension or SS 44 24.72%
75+% Pension or SS + 25% Securities (includes cash account) 25 14.04%
50+% Pension or SS + 50% Securities (includes cash account) 19 10.67%
25+% Pension or SS + 75% Securities (includes cash account) 11 6.18%
<25% Pension or SS to 100% Securities (includes cash account) 18 10.11%
100% Securities 59 33.15%
Not interested in sharing. 2 1.12%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pension covers monthly expenses with a 50% margin. Leftover goes in and builds up in checking account for lumpy expenses (newer car or car repairs, home improvements and travel).
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The periodic SIRE v FIRE poll, nothing wrong with that. I voted though my answer is in my sig line. 100% SIRE and 100% FIRE are very different circumstances, dis/advantages to both.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We live on 82% of the combination of DHs pension and HRA benefit and save/invest the rest. My SS benefit and small PT income are 100% saved/invested. Feeling very secure about SIRE (Secure Income Retired Early).

I love that term.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
interesting that on a site for "early"retirement 75 percent (current poll) draw pensions.

I'm 100 pct securities.
My second two employers offered pensions. While I was at the second for 6 years it was before 5-year clif vesting was mandated so I missed out on that one. I was with the thrid employer 12 years and therefore quaified and vested in their plan... it meets about 18% of our target spending (though we usually spend less).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Pension more than covers regular monthly expenses. Not having a mortgage certainly helps. DW's SS, even small, is like an extra bonus .
Old 05-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The periodic SIRE v FIRE poll, nothing wrong with that.
IMO it is incorrect to assume that our members spend every last cent we can get our hands on.

I voted for 75%+ covered by the sum of pension + SS. That covers my present monthly spending.

But if I spent what FIRECalc says I can spend, my funds would be mainly from my portfolio with 25%+ covered by the sum of pension + SS.

So to my way of thinking this is not a FIRE or SIRE poll.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The periodic SIRE v FIRE poll, nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
IMO it is incorrect to assume that our members spend every last cent we can get our hands on.

I voted for 75%+ covered by the sum of pension + SS. That covers my present monthly spending.

But if I spent what FIRECalc says I can spend, my funds would be mainly from my portfolio with 25%+ covered by the sum of pension + SS.

So to my way of thinking this is not a FIRE or SIRE poll.
Huh? It's a poll asking to what degree we're all FIRE, SIRE or in between. Who said anything about spending

Old 05-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Huh? It's a poll asking to what degree we're all FIRE, SIRE or in between. Who said anything about spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeboz View Post
Follow up to the earlier Fat FIRE II poll. Lets get a pulse on where you draw your monthly funds to cover living costs (which means everything from light bill to that Christmas Leg Lamp).
"Poll: FIRE funds to cover monthly costs come from?"

(my emphasis) I only spend enough to cover my monthly costs, plus a little extra. I have lots extra that I could spend but that wouldn't be necessary to pay monthly costs. Did I misunderstand? eek

I guess everyone here COULD live off their pension + SS, but I don't think that makes our entire membership SIRE since they spend more than that. I think spending is the key factor. I am under the impression that very few of us have retired before building a substantial investment portfolio.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

50% Rents and 50% withdrawals from financial investments.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #30

100% securities. I'm making some Roth conversions between now and 72 as well. I'll either pay taxes now or later. Tax rate is likely to go up in 2026, if not before. About half of our income is from sold securities and half from dividends.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Deferred comp and inherited annuities for the first five years. Then expecting a combination of variable annuity and securities/dividends. DH could opt for pension but I think he will take the lump sum option.
Dinker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Regular recurring costs are covered by stable income, with a little usually left over each year that I add to investments; more infrequent - larger discretionary costs are covered by investments when they occur.
Nature Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
"Poll: FIRE funds to cover monthly costs come from?"

(my emphasis) I only spend enough to cover my monthly costs, plus a little extra. I have lots extra that I could spend but that wouldn't be necessary to pay monthly costs. Did I misunderstand? eek

I guess everyone here COULD live off their pension + SS, but I don't think that makes our entire membership SIRE since they spend more than that. I think spending is the key factor. I am under the impression that very few of us have retired before building a substantial investment portfolio.
Maybe I'm mistaken. I just took it to mean if you can fully cover your monthly costs (whatever you choose) with a pension + social security, you're 100% SIRE. If you have funds over and above that, as undoubtedly many do, you're still 100% SIRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
I wasn't thinking or assuming what members spend vs available income.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

100% in covid.

Less in pre/post covid due to travel costs.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm early in the process of transitioning from 100% FIRE to 100% SIRE. I'm deferring all income streams as long as possible while making Roth conversions, but different streams have different mandatory start dates.

Age 62 (today) - 75% taxable savings + 25% summer gig work
Age 65 - first pension starts - 55% taxable savings + 25% summer gig work + 20% pension
Age 70 - SS starts - 55% SS + 25% Summer gig work + 20% Pension #1
Age 71.5 - 2nd pension starts - 50% SS + 30% Pension #2 + 20% Pension #1
Age 75 (if SECURE II passes) RMDs on remaining tIRA get re-invested, slowly replenishing taxable
Age 80 - they perfect cellular rejuvenation, I elect to rewind to age 25 and go back to work

Like most here, it has a few moving parts to juggle. And of course Man plans and God laughs.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently spending money saved up prior to FIRE + dividends + IRA distribution. Not taking SS yet. No pension either.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:38 PM   #37

100% pension AND SS.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Found it interesting to break my monthly expenses by category.

Pension (30%)
Social Security (25%)
IRA Withdrawals (25%)
Dividends (15%)
Savings (5%)
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:35 AM   #39

My pension alone will cover 100% of our monthly living expenses with some play money left over.
The wifes income is more than my pension, and 30% of that is going into her 401K over the next 5 years when she retires with a similar pension, and I (maybe) start drawing SS.
We figure our combined 401K savings will be around 300K without growth.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:36 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

75-80% securities.