Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is Cash (MM, CD, Checking & Saving 50% or more of net worth?
Yes. 25 9.77%
No. 231 90.23%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ten percent of us have a lot of cash.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yikes. Cash is certain to lose half its value over 25 years while stocks quadruple.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Yikes. Cash is certain to lose half its value over 25 years while stocks quadruple.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.... Especially with stocks.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll:Got a lot of cash?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #64

Poll:Got a lot of cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.... Especially with stocks.

Agreed. But I still think cash is more risky than stocks long term.

I have 6% cash now as we will be withdrawing 5% or more per year until SS and pensions kick in.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. But I still think cash is more risky than stocks long term.
Okay, I'll check back in 25 years (I wish) and see if a million is only worth about 1/2 million in buying power compared to today and if the stock market is over 76000.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

Okay, I'll check back in 25 years (I wish) and see if a million is only worth about 1/2 million in buying power compared to today and if the stock market is over 76000.
+1. No one can be "certain" as to what the future will hold. Inflation, stock market, or otherwise.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom57 View Post
Hi Sue J,

I use the Vanguard Prime MM out of habit (I used to be a Flagship level, now Voyager Select), the convenience of having all my money in one place, reliable electronic bank transfers to my local bank checking account, RMD calculations and finally I may get so bored that I want to get back into the market in the future.

The interest rate may be higher elsewhere, at an increase in risk, but I don't want any risk now. Truly I can't spend all what I am supposed to spend now so earning more interest just makes the under-spending a larger number.
+1 Sounds familiar. I will soon be moving a few 100k tIRA mutual fund money to Vanguard MM to both have all my IRA investments with Vanguard to simplify RMD and to take advantage of the increases in that MF and have it available to reinvest in the future if interested. I am not concerned with inflation etc. since there is more than enough to last me until my expiration date is due and I would rather not have to make up a loss like the last time. As you age there is less time to make up.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #68

I don't consider commercial paper money market funds all that safe. There's a reason the brokerage firms switched their settlement accounts to government money market finds.

I hold cash at Fidelity and Vanguard in the treasuries only MM accounts - FDLXX and VUSXX.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I don't consider commercial paper money market funds all that safe. There's a reason the brokerage firms switched their settlement accounts to government money market finds.

I hold cash at Fidelity and Vanguard in the treasuries only MM accounts - FDLXX and VUSXX.
Me neither. Most cash gets transferred to FDIC insured accounts. Otherwise govt MM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 AM   #70

I would be less concerned now--but was extremely worried about this in '06 (terrified, actually), so much that I switched allmost all cash in the 403b to Fidelity Intermediate Treasury--which turned out in retrospect to be one of the better change of allocations I've made. Shifting most of my large cap growth gains to small/mid value from 2000-2002 was the other, although part of that was rebalancing, part of that was changing the allocation to include more value, and part was terror at tech and S&P PEs.
The shift at both firms to government paper for MM is a good thing, even if it means no yield.
In early '06, we had some bonus money from DW that we were putting away for the yewts' college and the Schwab guy tried to get me to put it in their "yield plus" money market (I can't remember the fund name), which I refused and then read the prospectus to see all the bank paper in it, including several banks that went down in the Crash. In '08, it and its co-fund sank like a stone and Schwab was in litigation for many years, since they had sold it as a "safe" money market--Allegedly, to be sure, but based on my experience, I believe it. It turned out we didn't need it for the college--we paid as the yewts went, but it could have been devastating.
(Also, I think the switch to primarily govt paper was pretty much mandated in the post-crash Reforms/regulation--but maybe not.)
Cash is 12% of the investment portfolio, but more (16%) if you include savings. Too high, but I'm OK with that. I am putting a bit more in stocks/bonds incrementally when the market goes down 3%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:15 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I had moved away from money market funds years ago (once the temporary Govt guarantee expired) due to liquidity concerns and knowing the SEC would mandate changes eventually. But a major impetus was I could earn ~1% in an FDIC protected savings account, and yields had dropped well below 0.1% in the comparatively riskier MM funds. It only takes a day to transfer funds, so the convenience factor was minor.

Not so easy to manage in an IRA although some offer bank-sweep funds.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #72

Full CalPERS retirement that I easily live off but I also have about $500,000. in investments and another $250,000. in cash. I fully realize I have way to much cash on hand.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

No>>> We have about 18% in MM,CD and saving plans which make minimum return. My plan was to always have enough money that was liquid and that taxes were paid on to live on when I retired. This 18% of cash we will be able to live my life time on and the rest 82% is invested in stocks/bonds. My plan was to live of off investment returns and never have to touch principal.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #74
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have 5% in cash, 24% in other taxable investments, 45% in IRAs and 26% in real estate investments. DW stills works (self employed as RE agent) and I consult a few hours per week just to use my brain and pay for golf related expenses [emoji16]. A bit concerned about where markets are heading overall but having made it through other ups/downs/ups, I can deal with it...
datuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #75

We have almost 20% in cash (cds, ibonds, MM). While hard to quantify, but I got a bad feeling about turbulence in 2017. I had the same feeling prior to the 08 correction and housing market crash. Back then, I watched my net worth drop by 30%. This time I will keep some powder dry for when the correction happens. Market timing....maybe

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote