Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: My fixed income assets are invested in?
Mostly/entirely in bond funds 79 74.53%
A mix with more than 30% in funds or indiv bonds 20 18.87%
Mostly/entirely in individual bonds 7 6.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With the exception of some EE bonds thru w*rk which haven't matured yet, pretty much the rest of fixed income assets in bond funds (namely, Total Bond Fund Index).

I do own a portion in Wellington, but I don't count that in my AA, as that's for my HSA which I view independently. (I put money in, then spend it out year to year and don't treat that as an investment or count that in my net worth).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Other than the TSP G fund, most of my fixed income $$ is invested in a mix of Vanguard GNMA and Vanguard Wellesley (which is actually a balanced fund).
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am speculating that perhaps the OP wanted to know whether mutual funds or individual bonds were preferred by those investing in bonds (?). At least, that is how I interpreted the question.
Zactly

I am entirely bond funds, mostly due to inertia. I keep trying to talk myself into some individual bonds, but haven't convinced myself yet.

And thanks to all who have/are voting.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Based on the poll options, seems like the poll question should be "How is the bond portion of your AA invested?" with an additional "I don't have bonds" option.
That would mix two questions and risk compromising the result. I am just trying to find out how many people (go to the trouble to) invest in individual bonds vs bond funds, that simple.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Zactly

I am entirely bond funds, mostly due to inertia. I keep trying to talk myself into some individual bonds, but haven't convinced myself yet.

And thanks to all who have/are voting.
Your poll suggests that most people are bond funds. I would also say that being in intermidiate funds is the way to go right now.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #26

I'm in bond funds (TBM, Pimco TR,) as these are the options for my retirement accounts. I would prefer to have a ladder of individual bonds but its not possible.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
That would mix two questions and risk compromising the result. I am just trying to find out how many people (go to the trouble to) invest in individual bonds vs bond funds, that simple.
Gotcha!
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #28

+1. I am not sure how best to answer the poll for that reason. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Hmm, pretty limited poll. Other fixed income assets have been outperforming bonds. Personally prefer stable value and CD's right now. Inflation protected bonds might be good.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm, pretty limited poll. Other fixed income assets have been outperforming bonds. Personally prefer stable value and CD's right now. Inflation protected bonds might be good.
Sorry, maybe a poll of your own with what you want to ask?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I interpreted the question as Midpack intended. All of my fixed income holdings except for a small amount in my local bank's checking account to meet minimum balance requirements and get everyday banking services are in bond funds.

The bond funds I own are quite varied, from home-state muni bond to national muni bond to intermediate corporate bond to just-below-investment-grade (BB) long-term corporate bond.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Hopefully the question makes what I'm polling clear...
I thought it was very clear, and it looks like the response (so far) is too. Forum members prefer bond funds over individual bonds by more than a 3 to 1 margin.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Inflation protected bonds might be good.
Don't you think they're a bit expensive right now? I own some (ETF's, MF's and individual issues) I picked up in the past that are up nicely. I'm hesitant to buy more at today's prices which seem expensive compared to what I paid. In fact, I've been thinking about harvesting some LT CG's from these holdings and only hesitate because I don't know how I would reinvest the money today.

Edit: I just noticed Friar1610's thread on this subject. Best to discuss there.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We're probably around 80% in bonds, 10% equities and 10% bond funds. But the number of individual bonds we have probably make the holding more like a fund in some ways. Since we aren't trading them and just holding them for the income, I like knowing what kind of income we will get unless the bonds are called or default. With the number of different issues, some do get called but so far none have defaulted.

Is there a consensus that bond funds outperform bonds for either income or appreciation?
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #34

In my taxable, I hold bonds, mostly tax free munis on the fixed income side of the AA. In my work related non-qual deferred comp plan, only bond funds are available for the FI. AA is about 60/40 overall, with a little more equity in the def comp, and a little more bonds in the taxable. I can't touch the def comp until 6 years after I leave the company, and the payout is over 10 years from the start of payments...so if I left now, I would be 66 when the last check shows up...but it looks like I've still got some time in the saddle. I really hate having so few options with that def comp plan, but it pays a 6% match, so I keep putting money in.

R
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Have 20% of FI in older high yield I-bonds.

Rest is in bond switch strategy: currently sitting in PTTRX (Pimco Total Return)
Backtested strategy based on math not hunches, switches between:
1) cash
2) Vanguard Intermediate Treasury
3) PTTRX (or could substitute DODIX or VBTLX)

This is my way of dealing with the dreaded rising rates fears.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

I inherited a managed account at Morgan Stanley and most bonds are in individual corporate fixed income bonds, yielding anywhere from 4.8% to 7.65%. I'm looking to sell some stock and buy more of these.
Rob-N-Lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I have more than 30% in individual muni bonds, but these were bought in '08 and '09 during the market drop and the bonds were being sold in panic mode and the deals were too good to pass up. Before that and since, I prefer funds to individual bonds. This past year, we have also invested in some muni CEFs, but they are risky.
Good call.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Bonds funds (VWALX, VWITX, VMLTX) plus a nice dab of pssst Wellesley in taxable,
DODIX (in Roth),
EE series bonds (1996-7) and I bonds(2004-5)
Emergency fund in VYFXX (NY TE money market fund)

AA 30/70